Proposal: Tavares + 1st for Karlsson

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Ridiculous while I agree a true #1 D is equal to a #1 C there's this thing called defense that Karlsson doesn't bother with.
His version of defense is called keep away or alternatively offense is your best defense
Steriotypical, just spuwing out crap you have heard from other spuwers...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
tavares, pulock, leddy, nelson, de haan, ho-sang

for

karlsson, brassard, oduya and a 2nd

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If Bobby Orr couldn't hack it on one foot I don't see how Karlsson will be able to as he's getting up there in age. Would only give him the dollar amount he wants for 5 years max. Tavares would probably be a much safer investment

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
This is what about half of the GM's would say also...........amazing offensive Dman, but on his side of the centre line, some nights the guy looks like he belongs in the AHL...brutal in his own end...

What Makes Erik Karlsson the NHL's Best Defenceman

You might want to read that article. In particular, it has the amount of shots for and against Ottawa with Karlsson on the ice and without.

When Karlsson is on the ice, Ottawa averages 3.9 more shots per hour compared when he's off at 5v5.

When Karlsson is on the ice, Ottawa averages 3.7 less shots against per hour compared to when he's off.

Add that up and that's a difference of 7.6 shots an hour.

So if Karlsson is allowing 3.7 less shots, we can deduce that would be due to his defensive play yeah?

I'd suggest reading the rest of the article for an explanation of how he does this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

You might want to read that article. In particular, it has the amount of shots for and against Ottawa with Karlsson on the ice and without.

When Karlsson is on the ice, Ottawa averages 3.9 more shots per hour compared when he's off at 5v5.

When Karlsson is on the ice, Ottawa averages 3.7 less shots against per hour compared to when he's off.

So if Karlsson is allowing 3.7 less shots, we can deduce that would be due to his defensive play yeah?

I'd suggest reading the rest of the article for an explanation of how he does this.
Watch the games.............he's awful some nights in his own end...the stats and the eye test are at odds at times...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

You interpret it wrong

They take less shots because the time of possession goes down not because Karlsson is a great defender

When Karlsson is on the ice they usually don't have the puck, they're usually chasing Karlsson

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Wow jus wow.... are you for real?
Yes I am
I wouldn't want him at his price. Teams that win have better balance and real defenders. Not forwards playing defense.

Hockey isn't basketball

Denis Potvin was a marvelous offensive defenseman, BUT he hit like a truck and when it mattered he played defense with the best of them

That ain't Karlsson

Last edited:

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Isles only trade for karlsson if they go all in for this year. meaning trade is all futures 2 1st + 2 2nds + pelech/Mayfield + Bellows + Toews + Beau/Ho Sang Basically 4 1st round picks 2 2nds and 2 solid defensive prospects Depletes the Isles pipeline but Karlsson makes them a contender for this year and maybe gives JT the extra push he needs to resign. All in all stupid thread :)

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Yes I am
I wouldn't want him at his price. Teams that win have better balance and real defenders. Not forwards playing defense.

Hockey isn't basketball
You don't understand hockey if you don't think he is a "real defender"
He's the best PMD in the league and his defensive game is solid. He's not a forward, a forward wouldn't be able to do what he does at his position. Stop drinking peoples hateraid.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You don't understand hockey if you don't think he is a "real defender"
He's the best PMD in the league and his defensive game is solid. He's not a forward, a forward wouldn't be able to do what he does at his position. Stop drinking peoples hateraid.
Youre Wrong

I Grew Up Watching Denis Potvin And Brian Leetch, Karlsson is more of a forward than you think.

I repeat hockey isn't basketball. Not if you want to win that is

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Isles only trade for karlsson if they go all in for this year. meaning trade is all futures 2 1st + 2 2nds + pelech/Mayfield + Bellows + Toews + Beau/Ho Sang Basically 4 1st round picks 2 2nds and 2 solid defensive prospects Depletes the Isles pipeline but Karlsson makes them a contender for this year and maybe gives JT the extra push he needs to resign. All in all stupid thread :)
Ridiculous Post. Tavares doesnt need any one player to Re-sign. He wouldn't be worth having if he did

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
That I Agree With. Easily The Best. But it doesnt make him a great defender
He's no Shea Weber in that sense.

He isn't a great defender, but he is solid, and that is enough for a PMD.

He's not a "forward", yes he could play forward if he needed to, but no forward could just jump in and be an effective PMD, it's a very hard position.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Then Karlsson & Brassard walk next year and we traded all of:

Tavares
Pulock
Leddy
Nelson
CDH
JHS

for

a 2nd round pick.

Fantastic job negotiating on behalf of the Islanders.
I Know Right? Truly Outstanding lack of Understanding. Seattle Here We Come

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
He's no Shea Weber in that sense.

He isn't a great defender, but he is solid, and that is enough for a PMD.
Thats My Point. Based upon what Ive seen In 50 years of hockey you dont win like that. The game HAS changed, but not that much.

But I do agree he's the best PMD, and it's not particularly close. He's on another level.

He's just not how I'd build my team

now if you had 5 karlssons, that is a great defense. But only because the other team would never touch the puck. They'd be too busy sucking oxygen from the oxygen tanks

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad