Tatar

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The more I think about it, the more Tatar makes sense. His stock is low after getting scratched in the playoffs (this might scare contenders off) but he's always a solid contributor in the regular season. He's well liked and familiar in the locker room. He's an entertaining player and personality. I would guess he could be had for 2-3 years at $4.5-5M per, which would take him through age 32 or 33.

Then you've got Vrana, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Zadina, Erne, Tatar as your top 9 wingers this year with competition from Berggren, Svechnikov, and Smith -- gives Yzerman some flexibility to trade one or two of them for a C or another D.

Reactions: CalumetHockeyTown

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd bring him back for no more then 1 x $2,500,000 at the very most.

Yeah good luck with that. He's had very good scoring numbers in Montreal. Nick f***ing Ritchie got 2.5 million. Adam Erne is probably getting 2.5 million.

Tatar on a 1 or 2 year deal with the idea that we're trading one of Bertuzzi or Vrana at the TDL doesn't bother me. He's a top 6 insurance policy that can play on the 3rd line and still put up decent points.

CalumetHockeyTown

Aug 2, 2021
Yeah good luck with that. He's had very good scoring numbers in Montreal. Nick f***ing Ritchie got 2.5 million. Adam Erne is probably getting 2.5 million.

Tatar on a 1 or 2 year deal with the idea that we're trading one of Bertuzzi or Vrana at the TDL doesn't bother me. He's a top 6 insurance policy that can play on the 3rd line and still put up decent points.
Tatar not playing in the playoffs likely cost him some money and status.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

It's Aug. 2.
The frenzy is over. Players who want to stay in the NHL are going to take what they can get.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
If we can get another 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for him, hell yeah. His numbers on the Habs were pretty great in the regular season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Would he buy into the defensive responsibilities that Yzerman and Blashill are pushing so hard for the team?

I know that's not a popular sentiment here, to value the defensive structure Blashill coaches, but it's obviously an important part of how the team is being constructed.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I’d take Tatar in a heartbeat....at some point these kids need some vets to play with that can actually help them elevate their games. Nothing crazy, but I’d do a 2 year deal at 3mil per year.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Would he buy into the defensive responsibilities that Yzerman and Blashill are pushing so hard for the team?

I know that's not a popular sentiment here, to value the defensive structure Blashill coaches, but it's obviously an important part of how the team is being constructed.
Agree. The reason Tatar didn't play in the playoffs for Montreal was his lack of defensive awareness/ability. If that is going to be our calling card, going forward, then Tatar should be a pass for us.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Nah, his play-off performances have been lackluster to say the least. This probably hurts his TDL value by quite a bit, on top of that he will probably contribute to a higher place in the standings. With the coming draft I perfer if we finish low. Perhaps not a popular opinion, but this won't be more than a bubble team unless we add elite offensive talent soon.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
1st I like Tatar. I have always cheered for him to do well.

2nd, I would welcome him back in Detroit... but only as a "tradable asset".

This means a 1 year deal. (I don't care about the salary really as we can retain half on Tatar to make him very affordable at the deadline).

Currently we could use 1 retention slot to make Leddy a Bargain at the deadline, and I wouldn't mind using a 2nd Slot with Tatar.

But generally speaking its possible no one trades for him considering Montreal didn't use him.
I would want him below market value just incase we can't trade him at the deadline, and may have to trade him long before the deadline.

If its signing him just to be on the team... No thx. Don't care at this point.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
-Raises our standings = lowers our draft pick = non-starter

Always liked Tatar, 1yr. even @ $2-$3m I'd be ok, IF, he was a tradeable asset. He was a healthy scratch the Last 2 teams he was on: MTL & VGK. Soft/perimeter-ish, no real D etc.

We'd be lucky to get a 3rd imo or 2nd @ 50%.

Pass.

Gotta have room for Veleno/Ray/Berg/Smitty........Pearson

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
A two-year deal at $4.5M per season I would be more than fine with.

But initially, I think he can end up in LA or Calgary. Possibly the Rangers.
Depends a little on the Eichel sweepstakes which I can't see be solved until after his surgery.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
This is a head scratcher to me. I feel like a contender should have been in on him for the cheap, he was injured for the playoffs this year and he just didn't gel with the crew in vegas. If nothing else he is a regular season warrior and will pot you 25 plus goals to help you get to the playoffs.

Hes always been one of my favorite players since the ahl days when I would watch him st the griffins games. I would welcome him back for sure, 1 or 2 year max, Bert money.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Tatar going to block kids to come to Detroit, so no thanks, thank you for good time with RW, thank you for kids we got from trade, thanks ,NO

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I would like to sign him just to trade him to Vegas again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
NO! Absolutely not! Been there done that. He is the same player he was, completely inconsistent effort and didn't even play for MTL in the playoffs in a number of games.

Reactions: dragonballgtz
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's a yes from me as long as it's a 3 year deal at most. Useful NHLer that is fun to watch and can help mentor some young players. He seems to be a fun guy that is good in the room, so why not use some of that cap space and bring him back for a couple years.

Reactions: Henkka

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
A two-year deal at $4.5M per season I would be more than fine with.

But initially, I think he can end up in LA or Calgary. Possibly the Rangers.
Depends a little on the Eichel sweepstakes which I can't see be solved until after his surgery.

Eh...Tatar is not an LA or Calgary style player. The doghouse in Calgary would become his permanent residence. He'd add a nespresso coffee maker in there and everything.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
lol, sign Tatar and trade him at the deadline again. How many picks can we wring out of one guy? I bet someone would give us a second and a third for him if we retained. :laugh:

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad