Rumor: Tarasenko

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Men are stupid, stupid, stupid creatures. I talked myself out of some ridiculous opportunities when I was younger. Alas.

I once said no to a surprise booty call from my current wife. I was in the mountains in college, and she was in town. She was dating a guy that went to the same school, and they had just broken up. She called me and for some reason I said I couldn't hang out. I think I was "committed" to studying or some bullshit. Stupid is correct.

Now I'm the one always "calling" for the booty call.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think there is language in a player contract about a bait and switch scenario like being dealt inside of x amount of months or games. at the very least a good faith understanding that you can't sign a UFA and then trade them a month later to a team that wanted them more for assets. it would undermine the legitimacy of free agency entirely. I think the language is that you can't trade a player you signed as a free agent prior to the trade deadline or within some reasonable distance to it.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think there is language in a player contract about a bait and switch scenario like being dealt inside of x amount of months or games. at the very least a good faith understanding that you can't sign a UFA and then trade them a month later to a team that wanted them more for assets. it would undermine the legitimacy of free agency entirely. I think the language is that you can't trade a player you signed as a free agent prior to the trade deadline or within some reasonable distance to it.
I don't believe this is the case. The SCP paragraph 11 literally says as follows:
11. It is mutually agreed that the Club shall have the right to Assign or to Loan this SPC, and the Player agrees to accept and be bound by such Assignment or Loan, and will faithfully perform and carry out this SPC with the same purpose and effect as if it had been entered into by the Player and such other club.
It is further mutually agreed that in the event that this SPC is Assigned, or the Player's services are Loaned, to another club, the club shall by notice in writing delivered to the Player advise the Player of the name and address of the club to which he has been Assigned or Loaned, and specify the time and place of reporting. If the Player fails to report to such other club, he may be suspended by such other club and no Paragraph 1 Salary shall be payable to him during the period of such suspension.
The transferability of the SPCs is the default condition. The player has to negotiate for a trade clause if he wants protection from it. Matched offer sheet grants the players a year of protection against being traded, but that's about it.

NHLPA could probably file a grievance against the team in the described scenario, if there is some mala fide, but the team would point to paragraph 11.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Kingsburg contract with Anaheim last year a good example for this.

Everyone knew he signed there to get the most money for the season. The whole plan going in was he would get his money and Anaheim could sell him at deadline to get assets.

He got full no trade until right before trade deadline where it expired.. that protected him from getting g traded at half price a week after he signed... he wanted to get traded just not until the deadline so he negotiated protection from Anaheim flipping him immediately..

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kingsburg contract with Anaheim last year a good example for this.

Everyone knew he signed there to get the most money for the season. The whole plan going in was he would get his money and Anaheim could sell him at deadline to get assets.

He got full no trade until right before trade deadline where it expired.. that protected him from getting g traded at half price a week after he signed... he wanted to get traded just not until the deadline so he negotiated protection from Anaheim flipping him immediately..
Thank you for posting this, I had never thought that you can have a part-season NMC/NTC, but now to think of it there is no such restriction in the applicaple section in the CBA. Smart maneuvering from him.

Anaheim did retain 50 % when they traded him to Wild around TDL, but the player obviously will get his monies.
CLAUSE DETAILS: No trade clause from season start to Jan 1, 2023 then turns into a modified trade clause where he lists 10 teams he is willing to be traded to

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Men are stupid, stupid, stupid creatures. I talked myself out of some ridiculous opportunities when I was younger. Alas.

Ditto, and even into middle age, lol (after divorce, not talking adultery; had those opportunities as well but not sorry I didn't take advantage of those). If one could only get a re-do!

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

That sounds like the clause that applies to a waiver pick up.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That sounds like the clause that applies to a waiver pick up.
Good catch. You can't trade a waiver pick-up during the same season unless you first offer him free for the other teams who also made a waiver claim on him.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Sources say Tarasenko's new agent was quietly enjoying Stroganoff in a dark corner of the Russian Teahouse after landing his new client.

I once ate at a Russian restaurant in Helsinki called Bellevue (closed for good now, looks like). I had a bear pot roast which was delicious, but the whole evening was a bit strange because of all of the very drunk Russians in track suits who kept going in and out of the back room, and then singing at the top of their drunk lungs.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I once ate at a Russian restaurant in Helsinki called Bellevue (closed for good now, looks like). I had a bear pot roast which was delicious, but the whole evening was a bit strange because of all of the very drunk Russians in track suits who kept going in and out of the back room, and then singing at the top of their drunk lungs.
Did they give you any inside info on Tarasenko signing with the Canes?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad