Rumor: Tarasenko

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
If the veterans on this board are confused with the Tarasenko situation just imagine what I am thinking.. I'm just as lost as a Christmas Turkey.
Wait you don't think Christmas turkey springs into existence after Thanksgiving??? /grin and no it's not as funny as I thought it'd be.

Reactions: ElmCityGuy

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Larry Brooks is above Gold in the non connected, loud mouth team coverage category

Larry brooks is the equivalent of a newspaper publishing fansided articles
That’s an odd statement re. Gold. It’s fine to not like him, that’s simply an opinion, but to think he doesn’t have connections with the Canes is … well, that doesn’t make any sense.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Here in Carolina, it's my screen porch.

Counter point: His previous agent was delaying in the hopes of getting a better offer. When Tank got wind of it, he said, f*** you, I'll get new people who will get a deal done.

This is called getting Klingberged. And the reality is, if this drags on through the Summer, the offers are only going to get worse.
The new agent could have Bob Sugar'd the old agent. Not really a conspiracy theory, more of a mission statement.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That’s an odd statement re. Gold. It’s fine to not like him, that’s simply an opinion, but to think he doesn’t have connections with the Canes is … well, that doesn’t make any sense.

His interviews with Dundon seem to indicate they’re actually buddies and not just colleagues.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
His interviews with Dundon seem to indicate they’re actually buddies and not just colleagues.
Maybe but he doubled down on digging and sharing his "intel," which was literally nothing. He only said there was no contract in place in an effort to refute Shayna, even though that's not what she even tweeted. It wasn't until later that a Devils beat writer claimed an agreement had been signed. He was being territorial and pissy.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
TD has grown into the public part of team ownership. Remember how stilted he was speaking publicly when he first bought the team? He's a smart guy who figured out that doing interviews was part of the deal. And smart enough to feed the public just enough and to use it to promote his agenda.

Plus, it's not like AG is throwing gotchas at him...

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I thought his post was an informal PSA for our fans who tend to go a bit overboard about rumors or the idea of landing a big fish. I didn't see anything pissy but more of a word of caution and guidance to temper the expectations. I do think he is an option that the org uses to drop certain hints on things when they don't wish to comment on them directly - at certain points or in some cases, ever. It's a common PR practice.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
That would be unprecedented.
its basically the same as the hawks did last year with Domi, but in this case we trade him now not at the trade deadline. the only thing I can find is you cannot trade back to a team that traded you for a year. delango issue that is going on right now with carolina.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
blackhawks sign taresenko 1 year and 7AAV with a pretty big signing bonus (3.5) and then trade him 50% retained to CAR for phillys 2nd with a 5th going back. CAR gets him in 1.75 real dollars and 3.5AAV.
It's an interesting idea at legal selling of cap space. But I think Tarasenko is looking for longer term than 1 year right now, and I think someone will give it to him. Maybe Ottawa as a DeBrincat backfill.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Is this idea not the very thing the TDA deal is being held up over?
No, because Tarasenko has never actually played here, let alone within the past year.

TDA is only being held up because he was traded <1 year ago.

That said, the possible contract being signed with Carolina could lead to a collusion investigation by the league.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That actually reads like some sort of obscure federal crime, though I admire your earnest attempt at cap circumvention
I don't think it is cap circumvention. Three-way trades are done all the time where the inbetweener team takes a considerable amount of cap hit for a player immediately flipped away with retention. I think the idea is that the inbetweener team knows how to charge properly of such service according to their needs (in picks and prospects for an undergoing rebuild, for example).

Why Deangelo trade got under scrutiny was that in a way Canes gave away a player they already had and now are taking him back with salary retained. Transfer of players is ok, but you can't transfer a player and then do a takebacksy on the same player just for the apparent purpose that some of his legitimate cap hit disappears en route.

Reactions: DaveG and Chrispy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That kind of risk is a luxury we can’t afford at the moment. Let an Ottawa take it on, it makes sense for them.

It doesn't make sense if he's going to cost 6+

They need a Tatar type, not an older offensive player that has had a lot of injuries and is worse defensively than DeBrincat...

They currently have $9,170,953 with only 8 forwards signed. Greig ($863,333) will be there, Pinto is RFA and will be there (2.0?) so that's 10

They can't even afford Tarasenko

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
When you're a good work husband, she hits on you.
Mine used to bring me homecooked meals and kept telling me what she liked...it was literally as I'm in the car moving to NYC as she was planning to move to CO that I figured out what she had been unsubtly pursuing. Me.

She was a former Disney princess too, super adorable. Oh well...

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Mine used to bring me homecooked meals and kept telling me what she liked...it was literally as I'm in the car moving to NYC as she was planning to move to CO that I figured out what she had been unsubtly pursuing. Me.

She was a former Disney princess too, super adorable. Oh well...
Men are stupid, stupid, stupid creatures. I talked myself out of some ridiculous opportunities when I was younger. Alas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad