Rumor: Tarasenko

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
JR pretty badly misrepresented the team's position over the summer. Army held a press conference (that JR attended) where he stated, "I'm not going to get into the nuances of the he-said, she-said things that have been reported. A lot of the the things that are coming out are so factually inaccurate, it's shocking, but I'm not going to get into that." JR tweeted that Army refused to comment on the trade request without including the second sentence, even though he sent about 20 tweets about the presser. He also didn't ask the follow up question, "what is inaccurate" or "then what was the reason for the trade request?" I'm sure the team froze him out for private interviews, but it is absurd that JR isn't asking basic follow up questions during press availability about the content he is reporting.

This article is literally nothing but his source venting frustrations about Army not trading Tarasenko combined with JR's speculation. There is zero information in there about what had been offered for Tarasenko and no indication that he getting info from sources on teams interested in Tarasenko. He literally cites one source "close to the situation" through the entire article and that source apparently knew which teams were interested, felt that Army's ask was too high, and also knew that Seattle was only interested if Tarasenko would waive his NTC once selected. It is painfully obvious that the source is coming from Tarasenko's camp and isn't a neutral source. Yet that source's opinion about Army's decision making is the bulk of the article and there is nothing but JR's speculation to support it. A reasonable journalist isn't printing that as a story without at least getting some info from the apparently-interested teams about what packages are being presented. There is simply no way to pass that piece of as anything but a favor to the source.

His mailbag about it was essentially nothing but his speculation.

I have zero issue with his initial reporting about what the source has told him. But the reporting since then has been atrocious. He has yet to include a single piece of information tied to a source from any NHL team. Every piece of info he's printed has been from "a source" with zero other information or "a source close to the situation" who then provides info that is clearly coming from Tarasenko's camp (reason for the trade request, how many teams he'd waive his NTC for, that Seattle wanted assurance that he's waive the NTC for anyone, etc). Not a single piece of information has come from a "league source" or a "source from an unnamed team." He's posted multiple stories about how the Blues' ask has been too high without presenting any information about what that ask is or showing that he's heard about the asking price from anyone other than his single unnamed source that is "close to the situation" and clearly coming from Tarasenko's camp. That is wildly speculative at best and intentionally misleading at worst.

Getting frozen out by the Blues isn't an excuse to not get any info from the multiple teams apparently trying to acquire Tarasenko. If Army was being as ridiculous as JR was claiming, it should have been ludicrously easy to get a couple quotes tied to "a source from a team who wished to remain anonymous."
You are spot on. I just read the Athletic piece today, and even his response in the comments criticizing him was pretty weak sauce. So one source is feeding him the information? Just one? I'm betting that there are a total of three people in this conversation, Army, Tarasenko, and his agent. Army has historically been tight lipped, I don't see him saying anything that would jeopardize this season. Tarasenko is going to be quiet else alienate his team. Who does that leave? Probably the guy with the least to lose and the most to gain, his agent. Knowing he has a gullible pen at his disposal gives him lots of chance to keep the narrative alive. Seeing his reaction after the game last night spoke volumes. I still think winning, fan support, and a good environment heals a lot of things.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
It's also massively risking the trust of fans/your audience to continually report only statements from one source who has a lot to gain from those reports and also gets to remain anonymous.

Even beyond Rutherford's horseshit, it's becoming increasingly obvious that almost all rumors we hear about are simply agents trying to manipulate the situation for their clients. So few of them pan out, but also so few of them end up being verified by multiple sources. It's not a reporter's job to be a mouthpiece for player agents and spread rumors; and it's completely reasonable for fans to call them out for doing that.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
JR pretty badly misrepresented the team's position over the summer. Army held a press conference (that JR attended) where he stated, "I'm not going to get into the nuances of the he-said, she-said things that have been reported. A lot of the the things that are coming out are so factually inaccurate, it's shocking, but I'm not going to get into that." JR tweeted that Army refused to comment on the trade request without including the second sentence, even though he sent about 20 tweets about the presser. He also didn't ask the follow up question, "what is inaccurate" or "then what was the reason for the trade request?" I'm sure the team froze him out for private interviews, but it is absurd that JR isn't asking basic follow up questions during press availability about the content he is reporting.

This article is literally nothing but his source venting frustrations about Army not trading Tarasenko combined with JR's speculation. There is zero information in there about what had been offered for Tarasenko and no indication that he getting info from sources on teams interested in Tarasenko. He literally cites one source "close to the situation" through the entire article and that source apparently knew which teams were interested, felt that Army's ask was too high, and also knew that Seattle was only interested if Tarasenko would waive his NTC….

This link is where I shifted from “JR is reporting a true and important story” to “JR is advocating for one side with an embarrassing level of credulousness.”

I will copy the 1st couple paragraphs from that, just to share a laugh. I mean, the central thesis has so clearly not held up once it ran into 3 games of reality this season. His market is most certainly improving. He looks more like a useful stooge now than he did the minute he pushed it, and it got immediate snapback then.

It’s been rather quiet on the Vladimir Tarasenko trade front — too quiet, a league source who is close to the situation told The Athletic on Wednesday.
The source said emphatically that Tarasenko should have been traded by now and that the Blues are only further diminishing his value by hanging on to him this long.
“The trajectory doesn’t get any better,” the source said. “They shit on this guy … to their own detriment. It’s time to move him. The train has left the station.”

Reactions: The Electrician

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Signal to noise ratio on JR authored stories is very low.

Tank either stays or goes. It's all on him.

My concern is who gets dealt if he stays and how does that impact team chemistry.

Reactions: 67Blues

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Signal to noise ratio on JR authored stories is very low.

Tank either stays or goes. It's all on him.

My concern is who gets dealt if he stays and how does that impact team chemistry.
My bet is that he stays, and the player (probably a forward) leaving with the highest salary, will be traded in a package for a veteran LD.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
I might be in the minority here but I just don’t see how Taranseko is not traded. I don’t believe Armstrong would have put himself in a corner salary wise without a way out. Sunny D is just about ready to come back and there is no room for him under the cap. They can play the injured list tango but I am not sure they can do that all year long. Maybe you could trade Scandella and bring up Perunovich or Santini but I am not sure they are ready to do that with Defense already being there Achilles’ heel.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I might be in the minority here but I just don’t see how Taranseko is not traded. I don’t believe Armstrong would have put himself in a corner salary wise without a way out. Sunny D is just about ready to come back and there is no room for him under the cap. They can play the injured list tango but I am not sure they can do that all year long. Maybe you could trade Scandella and bring up Perunovich or Santini but I am not sure they are ready to do that with Defense already being there Achilles’ heel.
We've all been bamboozled, there was never a trade request. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Incorrect.

Saad-ROR-Perron
Kyrou-Schenn-Buch
Barby-Thomas-Tarasenko
Kostin-Sunny-Bozak
Clifford, Neal

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Walman-Bortz
Mikkola

Binner
Husso

That 23 man roster is $81.482M against the cap. If you send down Kostin instead of Neighbours, it is $81.485 against the cap. If you send down Clifford, it is $81.349M against the cap.

Things are complicated at the moment with Husso on COVID protocol, but Sunny can't come off of LTIR until 11/9, so that may be resolved by then. If not, it should be just a couple days away and we could send down Kostin on a paper transaction for a couple days. We're tight against the cap, but it isn't unworkable. We can fit a 23 man roster under the cap, so we have cushion for short term injuries. It isn't like we have to run a man or two short.

I don't think that we are looking at the end-of-season roster yet and I agree that if we want to add a D then Tarasenko is the best candidate to be moved. But we can bring Sunny back to the roster as currently constructed.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, we can bring Sunny in without an issue. The only real problem with our cap this season will be how it impacts next season as Bozak likely hits his bonuses and pushes us over the cap, resulting in a penalty for next season. So, at some point Army probably works something to avoid that.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Yeah, we can bring Sunny in without an issue. The only real problem with our cap this season will be how it impacts next season as Bozak likely hits his bonuses and pushes us over the cap, resulting in a penalty for next season. So, at some point Army probably works something to avoid that.

So we get Lindholm for 6.5 per season, trade Sundqvist and Scandella, keep Tarasenko and roll 4 lines.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t see Tarasenko getting traded this season. Any move probably happens in the offseason when he has (hopefully) a good season under his belt, and only one year left on his deal so we should get decent value without having to retain.

Neal clearly has nothing left in the tank and is super slow. Kostin and Neighbours are basically only 4th liners this year. So if you move Tarasenko for a d-man, we then will have a hole in our top 9 because nobody can replace him.

At this point we either need to find another way to get a d-man for cheap, or hope that Krug and Scandella just become more consistent, and one of Walman or Perunovich shows some improvement and is able to contribute.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don’t see Tarasenko getting traded this season. Any move probably happens in the offseason when he has (hopefully) a good season under his belt, and only one year left on his deal so we should get decent value without having to retain.

Neal clearly has nothing left in the tank and is super slow. Kostin and Neighbours are basically only 4th liners this year. So if you move Tarasenko for a d-man, we then will have a hole in our top 9 because nobody can replace him.

At this point we either need to find another way to get a d-man for cheap, or hope that Krug and Scandella just become more consistent, and one of Walman or Perunovich shows some improvement and is able to contribute.
It’s reasonable to expect Kostin and neighbors to improve as year goes on and they get more comfortable. We will also have Sunny back soon who can slot into top 9. So dealing tank doesn’t necessarily create hole.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Call me crazy but Tarasenko + Lindholm is just a tad better than Sundqvist + Scandella
The considerations of each player’s contract and the bigger roster construction do matter. I love Vladi’s and would love Lindholm, but I am realistic and know that Vlad is leaving this off-season. Beyond Vladi’s request, it would be poor asset management by Army NOT to trade him this off-season. So trading someone with long term value on the team - under contract and plays a key role - for a pending FA in Lindholm doesn’t make sense to me.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Goddamn, Tarasenko is a lit firecracker to start the season. I sure am glad we didn't trade him for a bag of pucks. Looks like the back end is playing well, too; despite the fact that we didn't resign Petro. Yep, looks like our GM, despite what some say, is still top 5 in the league.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
The considerations of each player’s contract and the bigger roster construction do matter. I love Vladi’s and would love Lindholm, but I am realistic and know that Vlad is leaving this off-season. Beyond Vladi’s request, it would be poor asset management by Army NOT to trade him this off-season. So trading someone with long term value on the team - under contract and plays a key role - for a pending FA in Lindholm doesn’t make sense to me.

Nah, I would not call Sunqvist playing an irreplaceable role. Barbie has been doing very well in his absence, and we have recently moved on from the old Steen-Sunny-Barbie type of line.

Sunny is a very well rounded player, but his ilk of player is gradually being phased out in the NHL with players of higher end skills. At the end of the day, he is just an excellent grinder, think Sobotka 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad