Rumor: Tarasenko

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Yep, he’s a decent reporter but it seems The Athletic really set its roots early with a hockey push, and they want their guys to do a little more than just the fundamentals of reporting, and JR pretty obviously struggles whenever he wades into those waters.
I think JR'S problem is rooted in the fact he doesn't really like hockey.

I remember a few years ago he was asked if he was excited about the upcoming hockey season and his response was all negative.

Some people would kill to have his job. The passion, love for the sport can't be manufactured.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We need a columnist for the athletic. JR can write the reports and color stories while the other person writes the analysis.

Reactions: Spear

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yep, he’s a decent reporter but it seems The Athletic really set its roots early with a hockey push, and they want their guys to do a little more than just the fundamentals of reporting, and JR pretty obviously struggles whenever he wades into those waters.
Part of The Athletic is reducing costs by not having their journalists act as beat reporters, so he doesn't travel with the team like he did at the Post.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Part of The Athletic is reducing costs by not having their journalists act as beat reporters, so he doesn't travel with the team like he did at the Post.
One positive of the pandemic restrictions has been the realization about how much work can be done remotely. For a regular season, a beat reporter should be able to do their job effectively without traveling with the team for all but the super-extended road trips. Players can be made available via video conference, a member of the coaching staff or front office can spend 5 minutes outlining the lines that were running and brief injury updates (with the same level of vagueness we currently get). We don't need in-locker room reporting for all 82 games of a regular season and any "extra" work/planning taken on by the team to accommodate reporters not in the building is more than made up for by players and coaches suddenly not having to deal with post-game shit in the locker room for 50% of the games.

I really don't see the value of a travelling beat reporter given the technology that exists.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
One positive of the pandemic restrictions has been the realization about how much work can be done remotely. For a regular season, a beat reporter should be able to do their job effectively without traveling with the team for all but the super-extended road trips. Players can be made available via video conference, a member of the coaching staff or front office can spend 5 minutes outlining the lines that were running and brief injury updates (with the same level of vagueness we currently get). We don't need in-locker room reporting for all 82 games of a regular season and any "extra" work/planning taken on by the team to accommodate reporters not in the building is more than made up for by players and coaches suddenly not having to deal with post-game shit in the locker room for 50% of the games.

I really don't see the value of a travelling beat reporter given the technology that exists.
Most of what JR was doing was reporting out after games verbatim what was said in the post game interviews anyway. So, he could watch that on TV and do the same thing he did in person.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Most of what JR was doing was reporting out after games verbatim what was said in the post game interviews anyway. So, he could watch that on TV and do the same thing he did in person.
Yup. One of the many reasons behind my opinion that they don't need to travel with the team. Now that most teams have kicked reporters out of the room post-game in favor of televised post-game interviews, we are able to see the stuff that we used to have to read about. The advancement of technology has reduced the value in passing along info and has created consumers that are more interested in hearing/reading/seeing analysis and in-depth reporting.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
I almost wonder if the best possible scenario we have now is to just let him go to SEA, then go shopping in the FA market with the cap space. Alternatively, trade for a couple good picks, and do the same with the dough. Only mistake that could be made here is retaining salary.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I almost wonder if the best possible scenario we have now is to just let him go to SEA, then go shopping in the FA market with the cap space. Alternatively, trade for a couple good picks, and do the same with the dough. Only mistake that could be made here is retaining salary.
Losing him for nothing to Seattle would be worst case. Sure, we'd be able to keep Dunn in that scenario, but we should be able to move Dunn like Colorado moved Graves, and protect Tarasenko and get a bigger return after the expansion draft. If we have to lose one to Seattle, I'd rather it be Dunn, as I think Tarasenko will return more, but Army likely already knows which of the 2 is getting better offers.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Losing him for nothing to Seattle would be worst case. Sure, we'd be able to keep Dunn in that scenario, but we should be able to move Dunn like Colorado moved Graves, and protect Tarasenko and get a bigger return after the expansion draft. If we have to lose one to Seattle, I'd rather it be Dunn, as I think Tarasenko will return more, but Army likely already knows which of the 2 is getting better offers.
I think Dunn's value goes up after the expansion draft.

Tarasenko's value probably doesn't change much. The same question marks about his shoulder will remain. While he's fully healthy now, there is re-injury risk that teams will factor in. Also factor in 7.5M in a flat cap environment and 9.5M in actual money owed this season will have teams thinking twice.

Reactions: MissouriMook

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Dunn's value goes up after the expansion draft.

Tarasenko's value probably doesn't change much. The same question marks about his shoulder will remain. While he's fully healthy now, there is re-injury risk that teams will factor in. Also factor in 7.5M in a flat cap environment and 9.5M in actual money owed this season will have teams thinking twice.
5.5 in real money the season after balances the cash out.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The more I think about it Philly makes a lot of sense. He always liked Yeo, who is an assistant there. They had a disappointing season too and would like to change things up. We could take back JVR or Voracek to make money work. And they have guy in Patrick that would be nice buy low piece.

Reactions: Xanadude

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Loved Tank when he was here, glad he got a Cup, felt bad for him and gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was hurt, now I just want him gone. Too much has been said that makes it irrecoverable. He needs to go like stinky trash in the kitchen on garbage day.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
If Tank is pissed with the Blues then he needs to be moved. Having had 3 surgeries on the same shoulder I know that if the last surgery included a staple then he will have no worries about another separation. How many times have we seen players move to another team under another coach and thrive. Plenty of teams would love to have a goal scorer. Think win-win trade. In Army We Trust!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
After Adding Ryan Ellis, is Vladimir Tarasenko Next on Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher's To-do List? - Crossing Broad

If Seattle gets assets in return for Tarasenko Army better sign every player he’s after, and it would have to be some cream of the crop players.

If he winds up signing Schwartz for some long term big money contract I’m going to throw up in my mouth
Taking Voracek contract back in order to get 2nd round pick or whatever wouldn’t have been good for Blues.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I won’t disagree with the Voracek part. That’s fine if Army is clearing cap space to make a big splash but if he’s unable to sign the big fish it’s just a big swing and a miss.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I won’t disagree with the Voracek part. That’s fine if Army is clearing cap space to make a big splash but if he’s unable to sign the big fish it’s just a big swing and a miss.
Fair enough. But we will have considerable cap space in flat cap league. Will be options to improve.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
After Adding Ryan Ellis, is Vladimir Tarasenko Next on Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher's To-do List? - Crossing Broad

If Seattle gets assets in return for Tarasenko Army better sign every player he’s after, and it would have to be some cream of the crop players.

If he winds up signing Schwartz for some long term big money contract I’m going to throw up in my mouth
I see this as a very good development for the Blues. Seattle is in a position to retain some salary in order to get a futures asset they like, with a big contract coming back too. The Blues are better off with just the freed up cap space if it allows them to:
- avoid retaining salary
- avoid taking back a salary/player that isn't as good as they hope to get in UFA market

Hopefully Seattle has a credible offer for Tarasenko that pushes them to draft him. Next, we just need to have a good free agency period. And I'd personally be happy if Vlad isn't in the West.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
A thing I hadn't heard about the Tarasenko situation until tonight: Saravalli said on his podcast that management was questioning Tarasenko's drive to come back after his first 2 surgeries. That's something that makes sense to me as to why this has ended up like it has. To say that to a prideful guy like Tarasenko when your guys screwed up the surgery is absolutely something that would burn any kind of relationship between the parties.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
What I don't understand about the rumor: does Seattle have a deal in place with US to get rid of Tarasenko and then flip him to Philly? Or does Seattle have a deal with Philly to select Tarasenko and then flip him?

I don't like we didn't protect Tarasenko, but I can imagine there is some deeper thoughtproces behind this (capspace is an asset too, yaddayaddayadda). If we actually have to pay, for example 16 overall, to get rid of Tank than that's disastrous. If Army made a deal like that I would immediatly lose all confidence in his abilities. Let's see what it turns out to be.

EDIT: apparantly the rumor was that Philly wanted Seattle to pick Hagg and then would trade Voracek and a 2nd or 3rd for Tarasenko.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
A thing I hadn't heard about the Tarasenko situation until tonight: Saravalli said on his podcast that management was questioning Tarasenko's drive to come back after his first 2 surgeries. That's something that makes sense to me as to why this has ended up like it has. To say that to a prideful guy like Tarasenko when your guys screwed up the surgery is absolutely something that would burn any kind of relationship between the parties.
This keeps getting parroted as if it were fact. It came from the Tarasenko camp via JR. Isn’t it at least possible (if not plausible) that either Tarasenko reinjured it on his own during rehab or while playing, despite each of the first two surgeries being done correctly? I have yet to hear anyone from the Blues side admit, or anyone independent from team and player suggest, that there is any truth to this claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad