Player Discussion: Tanner Jeannot

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Complete bust. He wasn't even worth what we traded for dumba and he isn't worth roughly 2.7 million per year .

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
LOL, this is funny.... It's time to point players after a 0-2 start. Can't understand why blame a player who is not suppose to score goals. Remember that him was injured last season, started pretty well here this season and getting some PP in the second unit after again get another injury, after that he was promoted to the 4th line and getting just less than 7/8 minutes per night playing with 11 and 64, what people want from him? It's a joke....
After write that, sadly he doesn't work. His paid is a lot for what he bring, plenty of AHL guys can do the same for 1/3 of his salary, even Watson do a good job when replace him for less than 800k.
I'm not sure if he will be here next season, but I don't want us play without a tough guy. We look like a teddy bears playing the Panthers, to sad watch this team without balls...

Reactions: Outl4w

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
LOL, this is funny.... It's time to point players after a 0-2 start. Can't understand why blame a player who is not suppose to score goals. Remember that him was injured last season, started pretty well here this season and getting some PP in the second unit after again get another injury, after that he was promoted to the 4th line and getting just less than 7/8 minutes per night playing with 11 and 64, what people want from him? It's a joke....
After write that, sadly he doesn't work. His paid is a lot for what he bring, plenty of AHL guys can do the same for 1/3 of his salary, even Watson do a good job when replace him for less than 800k.
I'm not sure if he will be here next season, but I don't want us play without a tough guy. We look like a teddy bears playing the Panthers, to sad watch this team without balls...
They paid a huge price in part because they thought he'd score a fair amount of goals that would help make up some difference once Killorn moved on. That isn't happening

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
They paid a huge price in part because they thought he'd score a fair amount of goals that would help make up some difference once Killorn moved on. That isn't happening
Sorry, but think that Jeannot could replace Killorn is a big, big mistake and not Jeannot's fault, it's like thought Dumba could replace McDonagh.
The price that the GM paid for him was a joke, but that is a GM problem not TJ.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
No player in the NHL could be expected to perform at their best after sustaining multiple significant injuries like he has. Still hasn't even played the equivalent of a full season with TB. If you're going to talk shit about this guy, at least use an ounce of common sense and give him a fair shake. Guy puts himself on the line and is a beast, hope the streak of bad injury luck ends and he can put together a healthy season for this team. He is clearly hampered by something.

I get critiques of players/trades but the disrespect for this player is off the charts and reflects horribly on some posters as people imo. What kind of person goes out of their way to trash someone at every opportunity?

At least it's not in the Duclair or Sergachev thread this time.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Whoever the pro scout was on that jeannots report should be fired .

No player in the NHL could be expected to perform at their best after sustaining multiple significant injuries like he has. Still hasn't even played the equivalent of a full season with TB. If you're going to talk shit about this guy, at least use an ounce of common sense and give him a fair shake. Guy puts himself on the line and is a beast, hope the streak of bad injury luck ends and he can put together a healthy season for this team. He is clearly hampered by something.

I get critiques of players/trades but the disrespect for this player is off the charts and reflects horribly on some posters as people imo. What kind of person goes out of their way to trash someone at every opportunity?

He has more than a fair shake. Been on the team a full season and has proven he isn't worth the cap space or the picks we sent to acquire him. Maybe a 3rd tops.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
What good is a physical player who can't play physical since he's injured all the time?
14 points in 55 games. I was all for giving guys time, a chance to adapt (looking at you, Hagel), but I just don't see any of the hype here with Jeannot. I'm not a GM and have no issues saying that but this guy doesn't move the needle, especially for 3 million. Watson at least had 4 in 33 games, and seems to do it more consistently in his career for cheaper. People duck Jeannot as it is, most don't want to throw with him, he doesn't really tilt the game at all with his physicality. For 2.7 I can likely get two pretty decent bottom liners, or be part of the cost towards a significant minute eating defender.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I’ve complained plenty about the trade but it’s not Jeannots fault. I think most of the frustration from the fan base is pointed at the GM

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully the nightmare is over this summer.
No one is taking without giving them something. He is a NEGATIVE asset.

JBB has wrecked the roster. Pretty freaking bad. He should be fired and not trusted anymore.

Look at all his recent misses. Verghaege won the scoring title at Cuse and we couldn't find a million dollars for him?

Oh, and Yzerman traded for him not JBB. JBB let him go. JBB sucks NOW.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
While it sucks to have lost Verhaeghe, Tampa didn't even make him a qualifying offer when they could've easily kept him for at most a million aav. They kept Joseph, Stephens, and ABB at the time though...He wasn't likely going to get the increased opportunity from Cooper in '20-'21 with the guys Tampa still had. Even with Kuch then going down for the regular season that year, the team still had Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, TJ, Palat, Killorn, Gourde, Coleman, and Goodrow on the roster, so at best CV was goingbto be a 3rd liner unless.he really broke out to start that year if given a top 6 shot. He saw a chance to get that role with Florida, and he did. Who knows though, maybe he does get the top 6 role and excels that year with Kuch down(probably could've beaten out Johnson for a spot that year in the top 6/9, and then he's still with Tampa today more than likely)..Hindsight and all that, but he did seem to have a lot of potential and showed flashes a few times.in '19-'20.

Reactions: Tampa22

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
While it sucks to have lost Verhaeghe, Tampa didn't even make him a qualifying offer when they could've easily kept him for at most a million aav. They kept Joseph, Stephens, and ABB at the time though...He wasn't likely going to get the increased opportunity from Cooper in '20-'21 with the guys Tampa still had. Even with Kuch then going down for the regular season that year, the team still had Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, TJ, Palat, Killorn, Gourde, Coleman, and Goodrow on the roster, so at best CV was goingbto be a 3rd liner unless.he really broke out to start that year if given a top 6 shot. He saw a chance to get that role with Florida, and he did. Who knows though, maybe he does get the top 6 role and excels that year with Kuch down(probably could've beaten out Johnson for a spot that year in the top 6/9, and then he's still with Tampa today more than likely)..Hindsight and all that, but he did seem to have a lot of potential and showed flashes a few times.in '19-'20.
They kept Volkov as well and he failed miserably. Keeping Barre Boulet for so long (twice) and him failing looks really bad in hindsight. Joseph was a good bet to keep, he just didn't finish on enough chances in Tampa. Stephens was never anything special in junior, minor pro, or the NHL, but because he was a Lightning draft pick and picked in the 2nd round, they had an organizational bias to keep "their guy". Same can be said about Volkov. Verhaeghe looks like a completely different player now than he did in Tampa, so we have a ton of hindsight bias, but it's a waste to play a guy 4th line minutes for 1 year in the NHL and then let him go for nothing.

Wish they traded Verhaeghe's RFA rights out west to Arizona or San Jose so he wouldn't have been terrorizing the Lightning every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTBF81

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Multiple significant? What were they? Because he had a back issue then chose to fight Reaves in a game we were winning? Now he's out again. And I don't even know what he's out for at the moment either.

He's had a fair shake to assess his skills. His skating is not very good. He's too slow to play in the top 6. He's behind the forecheck at times which renders him useless because he's not Maroon down low in terms of puck battles or possession. He doesn't have hands like even Chaffee does. He's got very minimal scoring prowess. I'll say this, I'm not a fan here that expected him to hit 20 again. I was hoping 10, be effective, and make your presence known. He wilted in several regular season games when things got heated.

It could be injuries, but the beginning of the season and his time in Nashville, his skating looks the same. His skill set is what it is.

As for criticizing players, our board critiques a lot of players. From Stamkos to Motte, everybody gets put on watch and critiqued. It's been that way for years. Not sure why you're drawing a holier than thou conclusion about people's personal lives based off that. People can blame Brisebois for the trade and it certainly didn't help Tanner having such a significant tag above his head, but when he plays, he's by and large a non factor if the opposition moves the puck quickly. When he "lays it on the line" and forechecks, he's very good. He's not the reason we are down 0-2 in this series, but if we get bounced, getting faster should be the aim going forward and Jeannot does not fit in. We could grab someone else with wheels and a heavy game to replace his contributions.probably much cheaper too.

Reactions: Outl4w and Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'll say this, I'm not a fan here that expected him to hit 20 again. I was hoping 10, be effective, and make your presence known. He wilted in several regular season games when things got heated.
So much this. I came to the trade with an open mind just like the Hagel one, and I didn't want to have too high expectations. But man, this is the literally the time of year we supposedly got him for and he's not even playing. Again. The critics have earned their rights on this one. If he had at least been Maroon level effective I'd be unhappy but not as much because he'd be contributing. I just want something out of him...

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Pretty sure he will be gone. Some team will take a flyer on him for a 6th or something. It's a good gamble for Hawks, Ducks, Sharks, teams like that. Awful trade and not much more can be said about it

Hawks would be a good fit.

See the other thing besides the price we paid for jeannot is that JBB goes out and signs Austin Watson the leagues worst fighter. He’s never won a fight in the league and can’t play a regular shift. So like wtf was the game plan here? Look up the definition of plug in the dictionary and it’s Austin Watson.

Jeannot got injured against the islanders and had a really awkward fall. Can’t remember too well but it definitely looked like he was a better skater in Nashville than here. Also thought he played some of his best hockey when he was on a line with essyimont but Cooper has never gone back to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Given the amount of salary cap space JBB has to work with after paying the "Big Six", five of whom underperformed this season, just what kind of team are you expecting?
As of right now, the organization is following the very same path of the Penguins, hanging on to a handful of fan favorites regardless of the price and whether or not they contribute in the way their salary says they should.
Folks are blaming Jeannot yet fail to understand that the issues we are now facing are a direct result of trading the future for the run we had of three finals and two cups in three years. Folks have been good with that with many typing that the cost of the future is well worth winning now. The problem lies when folks refuse to accept that the run we had is coming to an end and hard choices need to be made about high profile free agents.
Does the organization continue to pour money into aging players whose regular strength value is diminishing or does the organization opt to let those players sign elsewhere and use that cap space to compliment the younger core?
To those not blinded by undying loyalty, the reality of sports makes that decision very easy.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

The massive haul we gave up for him naturally leads to high expectations. He hasn't proven his worth, just the simple truth. Injuries just add to it, it's not fair to say "he hasn't played well because of injuries" while ignoring that injuries are just another thing you can add to the list while criticizing the trade. I don't care what the specific reasons are behind why a trade isn't working, only that it is or isn't. And with Jeannot it very clearly isn't. Last year "he's clearly dealing with something". This year "he's clearly dealing with something". Maybe what he's dealing with is being in a league he's not cut out for.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The massive haul we gave up for him naturally leads to high expectations. He hasn't proven his worth, just the simple truth. Injuries just add to it, it's not fair to say "he hasn't played well because of injuries" while ignoring that injuries are just another thing you can add to the list while criticizing the trade. I don't care what the specific reasons are behind why a trade isn't working, only that it is or isn't. And with Jeannot it very clearly isn't. Last year "he's clearly dealing with something". This year "he's clearly dealing with something". Maybe what he's dealing with is being in a league he's not cut out for.
This

Reactions: StammerHammer

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
The worst thing that can happen is if JBB doesn’t admit that he failed and doesn’t trade Tanner. You can't waste 2.6 million capspace

Reactions: JTBF81

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Buffalo is young and talented but does not have a bodyguard for those players.
Several posting here say the team needs to give up on Jeannot and get whatever they can for him.
Might I suggest a few proposals centered around that idea?

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
Buffalo is young and talented but does not have a bodyguard for those players.
Several posting here say the team needs to give up on Jeannot and get whatever they can for him.
Might I suggest a few proposals centered around that idea?
You may. But I warn you, he is particularly assy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad