RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
tumblr_inline_n2b4jeLHxU1s2jl27.gif

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah losing Rupp killed the Rangers.

It didn't, Rupp was on his last legs as a Ranger, but at the same time he was a part of that team's identity, and that team had one of the best regular seasons in franchise history.

I like Mike Rupp the guy, but Mike Rupp the hockey player did his job, unfortunately he couldn't give more than 5 minutes a night.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing I don't get about Glass is, why did we need to give him 3 years and 1.45 mil per year? Were there really other teams out there offering him near that amount?

Something to note:

The Rangers signed Glass with the following salaries:

1.9M year 1

1.45M year 2

1.0M year 3

After this year, his real cap # drops to 1.225M.

My guess? Sather and Gorton know that they can unload him at that salary moving forward if need be and they needed someone to come in who can play responsible defensive hockey, hit, fight and play 40-50 games for just this season.

They were able to trade Dorsett for a draft pick in a draft where they had few and able to replace him for a smaller cap hit for right now.

In this division you need someone who can answer the bell when called upon still. It's not all skill. Glass gives AV that option.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Something to note:

1.9M year 1

1.45M year 2

1.0M year 3

My guess? Sather and Gorton know that they can unload him at that salary moving forward if need be and they needed someone to come in who can play responsible defensive hockey, hit, fight and play 40-50 games for just this season.

They were able to trade Dorsett for a draft pick in a draft where they had few and able to replace him for a smaller cap hit for right now.

In this division you need someone who can answer the bell when called upon still. It's not all skill. Glass gives AV that option.

By far the most intelligent post in this entire thread.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Something to note:

1.9M year 1

1.45M year 2

1.0M year 3

His cap number stays the same throughout, though his contract structure makes him easier to unload after this season if they realize the error of their ways. I explored that in depth in July.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Remember how Pyatt was an AV favorite?

If Glass performs like ****, he'll be gone. I don't think AV would keep him for something as superficial as him liking Glass as a person.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I'm not convinced he is.

I'm not convinced either. Do not think he stuck with Vancouver, so that may say something. I think Sather said, hey, let's try to get a draft pick for Dorsett because we do not have many and we can always find a UFA to fill his spot. So Sather asks about Glass, and AV says he's smart, good character guy who works hard, hits, fights and skates well but has limited offensive skills, and Sather loves most of those attributes and here he is.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
His cap number stays the same throughout, though his contract structure makes him easier to unload.
Right. Deals like this let Rangers leverage their willingness to spend 'outside' of the Cap.
They did this with Brassard contract, as well, i believe, paying lots more earlier in the deal than later.
So team you trade him to can consume full AAV (annualized averaged Cap hit) Cap space, perhaps to meet the floor, but actually spends notably less 'real' dollars.

But I still think he's a bad signing, I cant see any outcome that convinces me it wasn't a mistake.

Wolfy*

You guys obviously missed all the good things Slats and AV said about him. Besides, who's gonna fight if Tanner is not in the lineup...Zucc?

Wolfy*

AV made some positive comments about this signing. I don't think he's a liar, he obviously knows this player well.

And about the fighting, I'm tired of watching us gettin slapped around because we don't have an answer for the goons.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
AV made some positive comments about this signing. I don't think he's a liar, he obviously knows this player well.

And about the fighting, I'm tired of watching us gettin slapped around because we don't have an answer for the goons.
All coaches are liars.

The answer to goons is to play better hockey than them and take advantage when they're on the ice, as opponents have been doing to Glass since he entered the league.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Question on Glass (I hate to continue on, but I'm legitimately curious)--when we look at his possession numbers and all of the other advanced statistics that show us how badly he sucks, what kind of detriment to the team does that actually become for a guy getting minimal minutes? As opposed to an "average" guy taking his place. Like with baseball, I understand the components that go into computing WAR, and it's easy for me to understand what a guy with a WAR of 1.5 brings to the table vs. a guy with a -1.0 WAR. Is there something quantifiable like that with advanced hockey stats?
It's obviously tougher to isolate players influence in hockey than baseball, but a good place to start to look at how other players performed with that individual on the ice as opposed to off of it.

If you add up all Glass' forward linemates from 2013-14, the difference when you put Glass beside them is an average of -2.69 CF/20 and +0.91 CF/20. Last season the Rangers converted 1 out of every 27.25 shot attempts for into goals and had one out of every 26.82 shot attempts against go in. So if you were to superimpose Glass' 678 ES minutes onto the 2013-14 Rangers, my best estimate is it would mean -3.35 GF and +1.15 GA, or 4.5 goals worse than a league average player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad