Tanner Glass

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That was exactly my thoughts when we signed Hayes. What if he pushes Stempniak down to the 4th line, and Lombardi makes it as 4LW? Obviously, it would be a bit of a stretch for both of them to make it, but if they did, we could be even better at forward than last year.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well...

He's widely considered one of the worst players in the NHL.

His #Fancystats are horrible.

We signed him to a three-year deal.

Yikes.

I think posters would have "less" of a problem with the signing if the contract wasn't so outrageous. Not to mention the situation in which he was signed - being trading Dorsett for cap relief, and spending that money on Glass, who is signed two years longer than DD was. Not to mention there were better/cheaper options out there.

Something just doesn't make sense about this signing. I hope to be pleasantly surprised with Glass's play, but I more than suspect he'll be renting an apartment in Hartford quite soon.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
FINALLY!

We really didn't discuss Glass sucking in the 1,000 posts in his signing thread, so luckily we can discuss it here. Let's see if we can hit 2,000!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The thing I don't get about Glass is, why did we need to give him 3 years and 1.45 mil per year? Were there really other teams out there offering him near that amount?

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The thing I don't get about Glass is, why did we need to give him 3 years and 1.45 mil per year? Were there really other teams out there offering him near that amount?

this was a bit curious. And he was signed very early on, as if he was going to be gobbled up and there were no other options. Would love to know the story behind that.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm very curious as to the process GMs use to decide which plugs are worth less than a million and which are worth a three year commitment at 1.5M per.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I'm very curious as to the process GMs use to decide which plugs are worth less than a million and which are worth a three year commitment at 1.5M per.

was thinking the same. You have a guy like Stempniak, who's signed for a year at $900k. He will get more playing time than Glass, but Glass is the one who's signed for three years and for more money. Is it because there are always a ton of Stempniaks out there and there really is only one Tanner Glass?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Aaron voros, pat rissmiller, Donald brashear, Derek boogard (rip) come to mind. All slats specials. Maybe glass isn't as bad as them but I have a feeling he'll be mentioned in the same breath soon.
Aaron Voros' first three month as a Ranger: 8 goals
Tanner Glass' last 128 games: 6 goals

I always pictured Sather getting into an eBay style bidding war for goons on July 1st.
He always uses the Buy-It-Now too early.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
With something like this, I suspect AV had some input. That's the only "logical" explanation I have for this one.

Hell, maybe it was a Gorton move and not a Sather move? :p:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
With something like this, I suspect AV had some input. That's the only "logical" explanation I have for this one.
That's what people keep pointing to, but AV pointed to him being a different player than he was in Vancouver. Not what I would expect him to say if his experience with him in Vancouver was the main factor in the Rangers getting him. The Canucks didn't put up much of a fight to keep him when AV was behind their bench.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That's what people keep pointing to, but AV pointed to him being a different player than he was in Vancouver. Not what I would expect him to say if his experience with him in Vancouver was the main factor in the Rangers getting him. The Canucks didn't put up much of a fight to keep him when AV was behind their bench.

Welp. Then I'm out of ideas.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think that the team is better off without him, even with all of the intangibles he brings, and that Glass is merely a player you need in the lineup in case some teams goon it up.

Last year Dorsett did squat while guys were being run, and after a particular incident with Ovechkin and Nash where nobody followed up, the Carcillo trade was made.

I would rather have had Carcillo go after Prust when Step's jaw was broken, than see Dorsett get his face punched in for ceremonial purposes. Glass is an upgrade in that respect.

He also can kill penalties and block shots, but the rest of his game isn't suited for a possession oriented team.

Think of a Darroll Powe that can fight but not take faceoffs and you have Tanner Glass.

But yeah I think the article is spot on, and Glass is essentially the 13th forward, or a BizNasty for this team... and I for one am happy about it since the Rangers have become much deeper since his signing.

I think the guy that will take the role Glass was supposed on 4th line LW is Lombardi, and one of the kids Miller/Lindberg takes a 3rd line center role.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
was thinking the same. You have a guy like Stempniak, who's signed for a year at $900k. He will get more playing time than Glass, but Glass is the one who's signed for three years and for more money. Is it because there are always a ton of Stempniaks out there and there really is only one Tanner Glass?

Yeah, guys that can skate and fight are rarer and rarer these days. It probably means that there were teams bidding for his services.

Afterall he didn't have to wait weeks to get signed, and got term and a signing bonus. All of these signs point to a couple of teams wanting him.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I always pictured Sather getting into an eBay style bidding war for goons on July 1st.

I think goons are like a nanny blanket for Slats, he has to have one to sleep at night. After Andre Deveaux's flying elbows wouldn't be tolerated by the league, he had to go out and get John Scott for that playoff and his 30 minutes of total ice, for that playoff push.:shakehead

Yeah, guys that can skate and fight are rarer and rarer these days. It probably means that there were teams bidding for his services.

Afterall he didn't have to wait weeks to get signed, and got term and a signing bonus. All of these signs point to a couple of teams wanting him.

Yeah losing Rupp killed the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes