Pre-Game Talk: Tanner Glass vs the return of Zach Boychuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I will never understand Bylsma. Is there any legitimate reason he can give for having Vitale on the first line over Neal?

I wouldn't hate the Orpik-Engelland pairing as much if I thought they'd get the lowest amount of ice time, but since I know they'll get the most, I hate it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I will never understand Bylsma. Is there any legitimate reason he can give for having Vitale on the first line over Neal?

I wouldn't hate the Orpik-Engelland pairing as much if I thought they'd get the lowest amount of ice time, but since I know they'll get the most, I hate it.

A mix of spreading the talent (diluting is a better word) and building chemistry for the lines that will be after Geno is back.

And I feel the exact same of Orpik and Engo.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
"I miss Zach Boychuk", said no Penguins fan ever.

"I miss Tanner Glass"………..see above.

aSockalypse

Feb 9, 2011
When i first checked my twitter this morning and saw Orpik-Engo in the top D pair, I kid you not i locked my phone and went back to sleep. :help:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
A mix of spreading the talent (diluting is a better word) and building chemistry for the lines that will be after Geno is back.

And I feel the exact same of Orpik and Engo.

My bet is that Neal will be there half the game, mostly when we need to score.

As far as the defense goes, I really like the Despres-Bort pairing, so I'm looking forward to seeing them play. They're always fun to watch together.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Dupuis likely out for the season... ACL isn't going to be ready in just 3 or 4 months... Now we absolutely need a first line winger and a third line winger. If Menga was healthy he could play the 3rd line role, but we aren't that lucky... need a skilled guy in here ASAP

Also tanner glass has been instructed not to fight for a while... why is he playing if he isn't 100%? 4th liner are the one thing we have in spades

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Not even having the surgery for two weeks. No chance Dupuis is back.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Orpik, Glass and Engelland back? Well there goes my enthusiasm for this team. Was fun watching the younger guys battle and compete every night (aside from the Senators game)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I love it. "Meltdown."

I think your post is a bit of a meltdown.

Deryk Engelland is not one of the 6 best defensemen on this team right now. If Scuderi sits, Deryk Engelland is not one of the 6 best defensemen out of the remaining 7.

And even if you wanted to play Deryk Engelland over Bobby Dumoulin, putting him with Bruce and forcing 20-25 minutes out of him is not the proper way of using him. He is NOT a shutdown defenseman. He's a #7 replacement guy who should be getting 12minutes when he's forced into action.

Why is it people can't have an opinion that criticizes the team without people going LOL MELTDOWN. If you disagree, bring something other than derisive quips.

I don't think playing a left defenseman with six games of NHL experience out of position is a good idea. Rob Scuderi can do that (as can Martin), but not everybody is them (Niskanen and especially Letang both suck on their wrong sides...edit: it would be fairer to say Niskanen is less effective playing the wrong side than that he sucks...Letang is just incompetent on the left, though) and I'm unaware that Dumoulin has spent a significant amount of time on the right in his amateur or pro career.

If Samuelsson was still up, there's possibly a case to be made that he'd be better in the lineup than Deryk Engelland (it would be arguable), but he's not.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I'll be watching this game with my Tanner Glass jersey on, drinking from my mug with a picture of Tanner Glass printed on it, and sitting next to my Tanner Glass bobble-head. All this Glass hate is ridiculous, one of the true talents of his generation. If Glass can't fight, Carolina better watch out cause he's gonna focus on his skill game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't think playing a left defenseman with six games of NHL experience out of position is a good idea. Rob Scuderi can do that (as can Martin), but not everybody is them (Niskanen and especially Letang both suck on their wrong sides...edit: it would be fairer to say Niskanen is less effective playing the wrong side than that he sucks...Letang is just incompetent on the left, though) and I'm unaware that Dumoulin has spent a significant amount of time on the right in his amateur or pro career.

If Samuelsson was still up, there's possibly a case to be made that he'd be better in the lineup than Deryk Engelland (it would be arguable), but he's not.

I think I said later that my issue isn't so much that he's playing, but that he's going to play 20+ minutes tonight, instead of 12. If he plays 12 (he won't), then I won't complain. If he plays 20+ (he will), I'd rather have any other combination of the available d-men

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think I said later that my issue isn't so much that he's playing, but that he's going to play 20+ minutes tonight, instead of 12. If he plays 12 (he won't), then I won't complain. If he plays 20+ (he will), I'd rather have any other combination of the available d-men

Tough to argue with that. An Engelland/Orpik pairing should easily have the lowest TOI tonight based on where their games are at in 2013, but almost definitely won't.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Yep, yep, yep.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The realization that the 2 players that I don't want back are back before everyone else... I am happy for Orpik on a human level. But, yeah.

Who is in charge of the injury prediction pool? I think I'll pick Jokinen with a separated shoulder for tonight.

Glass, Adams or Engelland. One of the WBS guys does another one of the WBS guys a solid; Bylsma goes into the fetal position on the bench and J. Martin appears.

Whatever happened to the ref that got injured in Ottawa?

Fire Shero*

I kind of understand what Bylsma is doing by keeping Neal on the second line. He is trying to be able to have at least 2 non pathetic lines. But he forgot Neal is kind of useless without an elite center.

So although playing Neal with Sid effectively make the other 3 lines worthless, the second line is pretty much useless without Malkin.

Might as well have one great line.

Fire Shero*

Not even having the surgery for two weeks. No chance Dupuis is back.

Is he resting up for the surgery? I guess he really lives by the words of wisdom he gave fragile Bennett. Gotta conserve your energy many.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It disturbs me at great length that Bylsma seems to want a defensive-oriented right-winger for Crosby's line. Crosby's our best two-way forward. Kunitz used to be very good two ways, at least, maybe not as much now, but are they really in need of a penalty killer on their line? Really?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It disturbs me at great length that Bylsma seems to want a defensive-oriented right-winger for Crosby's line. Crosby's our best two-way forward. Kunitz used to be very good two ways, at least, maybe not as much now, but are they really in need of a penalty killer on their line? Really?

without putting Neal there, there's no other option.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT DISTURBS ME?

When Crosby was hurt, there was no hesitation putting Kunitz with Malkin, rather than leaving Kunitz and Dupuis together with a new center.

But when Dupuis sucks/gets hurt, it takes a deficit on the scoreboard to get Neal on Sid's wing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
without putting Neal there, there's no other option.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT DISTURBS ME?

When Crosby was hurt, there was no hesitation putting Kunitz with Malkin, rather than leaving Kunitz and Dupuis together with a new center.

But when Dupuis sucks/gets hurt, it takes a deficit on the scoreboard to get Neal on Sid's wing.

If Neal ever shows to work well with Sid and they got on a hot streak Disco would have absolutely no idea what to do when Geno gets back. Its a risk he isn't willing to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad