Pre-Game Talk: Tanner Glass vs the return of Zach Boychuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Like I said, the teams we are about to play are so horrible offensively, that you could ice a lineup of all Engelland clones and it probably would look like a viable NHL defense... Playing Brooksie with Engelland makes sense.. it will convince Bylsma that its a viable physical shutdown duo and that will be a longterm pairing... It might even work against Washington since AO seems to have some difficulty playing vs orpik at times... but at some point when its critical it will surrender 5 goals in a game...

This is what is so wrong about all of this... we are 2 months to the trade deadline.. we play a soft enough schedule with players out that its not going to make any moves look urgent... we will be waiting for the return Of Duper for the offense and thinking we should be resigning guys like Orps, Nisky, and Engo to market priced deals rather than selling high....

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I didn't compare the two, I said I didn't consider Kulemin an upgrade over Jokinen. Is he a better fit? Perhaps. But I'm pretty sure there are way better fits for this line than Kulemin. People bring up Kulemin all the time because he did well with Geno in very different circumstances (a different league, a different playing style and a larger ice surface). In reality, we don't have a clue if he'd be good with Geno in the NHL. His play in the last three season suggests that he isn't a very good NHLer and certainly not a top 6 forward. Could it work? Maybe! Would I be willing to try it? Sure, if we can have him for a 5th or something like that. Would he be my first target? Certainly not (I'd have to do some research to determine a target, though).

People around here throw his name in trade proposals all the time and it annoys me because, to me, it would be like saying we should go after Brad Boyes because he looked good next to Sid at the WHC once upon a time. Hey, it might work, I might be interested in bringing him in, but he certainly wouldn't be my "ideal" target and he might not be a big enough upgrade that I'd be willing to sacrifice valuable assets to get him. I'd take Kulemin (or Boyes) for a 5th rounder, but no way we'll get him for that.

we must have different definitions of compare.

I don't care if Kulemin and Malkin played together in the Olympics. I don't care if they have slumber parties and paint each other's nails.

I watch Kulemin. I watch Malkin.

As Tender Rip said in another post, we have ample evidence that building the best possible Malkin Line is rather formulaic. Geno + a sniper + a guy who will do the dirty work. Kulemin will do all of that. He is relatively young and should be fairly cheap. And, like I said, even if he's not producing points, he will do all of the little things needed to make sure he's not HURTING the team.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
we must have different definitions of compare.

I don't care if Kulemin and Malkin played together in the Olympics. I don't care if they have slumber parties and paint each other's nails.

I watch Kulemin. I watch Malkin.

As Tender Rip said in another post, we have ample evidence that building the best possible Malkin Line is rather formulaic. Geno + a sniper + a guy who will do the dirty work. Kulemin will do all of that. He is relatively young and should be fairly cheap. And, like I said, even if he's not producing points, he will do all of the little things needed to make sure he's not HURTING the team.

Lol lets start a trade for Semin rumor... That will make everyone much happier ;) :sarcasm:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It would certainly be funny to see the meltdown on here.

Something has to give eventually though. Once the D is healthy someone undeserving (Despres) is going to end up not playing.

I love it. "Meltdown."

I think your post is a bit of a meltdown.

Deryk Engelland is not one of the 6 best defensemen on this team right now. If Scuderi sits, Deryk Engelland is not one of the 6 best defensemen out of the remaining 7.

And even if you wanted to play Deryk Engelland over Bobby Dumoulin, putting him with Bruce and forcing 20-25 minutes out of him is not the proper way of using him. He is NOT a shutdown defenseman. He's a #7 replacement guy who should be getting 12minutes when he's forced into action.

Why is it people can't have an opinion that criticizes the team without people going LOL MELTDOWN. If you disagree, bring something other than derisive quips.

penguins2946*

I'm praying that Dumoulin is sent down soon. Not because he has been bad (even though he has been), but because the longer he's up, the more likely it is that the idiot will scratch Despres for him.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I love it. "Meltdown."

I think your post is a bit of a meltdown.

Deryk Engelland is not one of the 6 best defensemen on this team right now. If Scuderi sits, Deryk Engelland is not one of the 6 best defensemen out of the remaining 7.

And even if you wanted to play Deryk Engelland over Bobby Dumoulin.

Why is it people can't have an opinion that criticizes the team without people going LOL MELTDOWN. If you disagree, bring something other than derisive quips.

So maybe I think it's a little funny how worked up some people get over these things.

Look, I agree with you. I even said in my post that Despres being benched would be undeserved. I don't think Engelland should be playing over Despres or Bortuzzo. Happy?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So maybe I think it's a little funny how worked up some people get over these things.

Look, I agree with you. I even said in my post that Despres being benched would be undeserved. I don't think Engelland should be playing over Despres or Bortuzzo. Happy?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy analyzing thing. Like, everything. Sports, movies, books, my kids' weirdness. That's how I enjoy things. I assure you that while I may type "I HATE DAN BYLSMA" (and I do), I'm not actually worked up. I don't lose sleep over it, I'm not sitting at my computer shaking with anger. I'm merely discussing things.

And if you agree with me but you still say something like that, I don't get it. You trollin? You attacking people for no reason? You trying to make yourself sound like a better fan? I dunno. If you agree, just agree?

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
Why not give Gibby a shot in the top 6? Or would putting someone who has played a top 6 role his whole life make too much sense?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why not give Gibby a shot in the top 6? Or would putting someone who has played a top 6 role his whole life make too much sense?

I think he might get a chance when Malkin is back. Right now, they are in "Grind *****es Down" mode, but when Malkin comes back, there might be more room for someone like Gibbons. Note that they haven't sent him down yet.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy analyzing thing. Like, everything. Sports, movies, books, my kids' weirdness. That's how I enjoy things. I assure you that while I may type "I HATE DAN BYLSMA" (and I do), I'm not actually worked up. I don't lose sleep over it, I'm not sitting at my computer shaking with anger. I'm merely discussing things.

And if you agree with me but you still say something like that, I don't get it. You trollin? You attacking people for no reason? You trying to make yourself sound like a better fan? I dunno. If you agree, just agree?

I enjoy analyzing things as well, and I enjoy reading these boards obviously to read other peoples' analysis of this team. My sense is just that the tone of this board has gotten way more cynical and nasty since the Boston series where it's just waves of negativity over every single move this team makes, which I see as being over the top. That's my opinion and people are free to disagree.

I'm not trying to troll or attack people or make myself out to be a better fan, and I'm sorry if I offended you. And I know I may have jumped on you specifically in that other thread a few days back, but I swear I'm not trying to just cherry pick your posts or anything. But I really don't see anything I've posted being worse than some of the ridiculous things and borderline personal attacks I read on here every day so if you really have a problem with me, let's take it to PM or take it up with a mod.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I think he might get a chance when Malkin is back. Right now, they are in "Grind *****es Down" mode, but when Malkin comes back, there might be more room for someone like Gibbons. Note that they haven't sent him down yet.

I figured they would have, like they did with Harry Z even if they were gonna call him back up. Whats your top 6 when Malkin comes back?
Kunitz-Sid-Gibby
Juice-Malkin-Neal?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Josh Yohe @JoshYohe_Trib

Crosby is still really unhappy with Methot's hit. Said it was "unnecessary."

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I enjoy analyzing things as well, and I enjoy reading these boards obviously to read other peoples' analysis of this team. My sense is just that the tone of this board has gotten way more cynical and nasty since the Boston series where it's just waves of negativity over every single move this team makes, which I see as being over the top. That's my opinion and people are free to disagree.

I'm not trying to troll or attack people or make myself out to be a better fan, and I'm sorry if I offended you. And I know I may have jumped on you specifically in that other thread a few days back, but I swear I'm not trying to just cherry pick your posts or anything. But I really don't see anything I've posted being worse than some of the ridiculous things and borderline personal attacks I read on here every day so if you really have a problem with me, let's take it to PM or take it up with a mod.

to be fair, there's plenty more ridiculous stuff than your post, but I ignore probably 98% of this board so I don't see it.

I just don't like criticizing Deryk Engelland's impending rise to top-4 defenseman as a 'meltdown.' ;)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Josh Yohe @JoshYohe_Trib

Crosby is still really unhappy with Methot's hit. Said it was "unnecessary."

Eh. It wasn't quite dirty, but if I was Sid, I wouldn't like having a guy hit anywhere near my knee.

Especially after all the time he's missed the last couple years.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I figured they would have, like they did with Harry Z even if they were gonna call him back up. Whats your top 6 when Malkin comes back?
Kunitz-Sid-Gibby
Juice-Malkin-Neal?

I'm not sure, honestly. I think they'll try a variety of people on Sid's RW until Beau is healthy. My biggest hope for the rest of the season is that Bennett stays healthy and takes the chance he's about to get by the horns.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 1m View translation
#Pens lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Vitale Conner-Jokinen-Neal Zolnierczyk-Sutter-Kobasew Glass-Sill-Adams

For what they're worth.
Oh yeah, it is time

43704671.jpg

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I'm not sure, honestly. I think they'll try a variety of people on Sid's RW until Beau is healthy. My biggest hope for the rest of the season is that Bennett stays healthy and takes the chance he's about to get by the horns.

Im with you on Bennett. I just hope he can stay healthy and given a fair chance at seizing that opportunity. With Dupuis out for the year, that seems more likely. If its not working, theres always another rental to be had. #Jagrwatch

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
to be fair, there's plenty more ridiculous stuff than your post, but I ignore probably 98% of this board so I don't see it.

I just don't like criticizing Deryk Engelland's impending rise to top-4 defenseman as a 'meltdown.' ;)

Fair enough. But really, if I were Shero I would look to move Engelland at this point if possible. He'd probably have decent value to teams right up against the cap looking for a physical bottom-pairing defenseman for the playoffs.

If Murray garnered two 2nd's last year, I would think Engelland should have decent value, even without the history of being a top-four defenseman, simply because he's cheap and physical and can serve as a #6 without embarrassing himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad