Pre-Game Talk: Tanner Glass vs the return of Zach Boychuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The NHL Post Christmas - Pre Olympics period begins ....Now!

The pens are looking to get several vets back,

-Tanner Glass is looking to be playing to save us from a Pascal Dupuis injury and the impending Bylsma meltdown that would occur with too many favorites out. Harry Zolnierczyk has been sent down to the AHL so we can get back to a sane 4th line that has little speed....
-Brooks Orpik is finally tired of faking it, meaning recently demoted Son of Ulf best not be expecting any more NHL time anytime soon.
-Rob Scuderi was looking for full clearance to play as early as today, meaning the days of Doumulin eating top ice time is probably done for now
-Most importantly Deryk Engelland is back from suspension... meaning we may well have seen the last of either Bortuzzo or Despres for a long time...

the Days of the young guns is over, slammed shut by the 5-0 loss...:sarcasm:

No word on Malkin or Duper as of yet

Lol today the pens face Carolina.. who, next to Columbus, are easily the most, "Wait... they are in the division TOO?" type team in the Metropolitian (ugh) division.

They pretty much stink, and are on a 3 game losing streak... which mean we ought to fear this game like few others.
They feature 8 players total on their roster with a positive +/-, even though they really are a middle of the road defensive team... this could be because they cant score.. oh they can shoot... they only are averaging about a shot less than the Pens are per game, the problem is they are averaging almost a goal less per game too...

Its so bad they have recalled waiver king Zach Boychuck to help out
They have their Staal collection, and the ever dangerous Skinner and the enigmatic Crosby hater Semin...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I will hate today's line up. There's no way to avoid it.

I am afraid...

The fourth line will probably be Adams Sill Glass, with Vitale playing on a higher line... The hurricanes just cant score so that line could get peppered and look like shotblocking kings and stay together for a long time... I want Sill on that line, but at the expense of glass or Adams, not with them...

I just don't even want to think about the defense... and frankly we will be lucky if we don't see a one legged duper out on the top line...

<<< Not exactly hopeful

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We all knew it would come down to Glass vs Boychuk. That battle have been destined to happen form the dawn of time.

I would like Malkin and Scuderi back. The rest of the guys can keep resting for all i care.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The next ten or so games the only really good offensive team we face is Washington... and they are 9 games in. Vancouver is a little above average and Winnipeg is average, the rest suck.. we could be playing Engelland top pairing minutes and the move will look ok for the next few games... its going to be too easy to justify any move made the next few weeks as all the vets get back, which means we are doomed to the status quo, which we already know doesn't work in the playoffs...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Another game where Crosby will be held pointless due to have a revolving door on his RW.

Put Neal there please Dan, just do it.

Blitzburgh87*

If Despres gets sent back down ever again Dan Byslma needs to just fall off of a cliff.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Despres gets sent back down ever again Dan Byslma needs to just fall off of a cliff.

I am fully prepared for it to happen if we get healthy.

Scuds - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Maatta - Niskanen
Despres
Engelland
Bortuzzo

Same reason as the start of the season, because he is waiver exempt. We won't be carrying 9 d-men, and even if we plan to make a trade, it won't be as soon as it would need to be to keep Despres up most likely.

And then, come playoff time, he will be deemed too inexperienced. And I will die a little bit more.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I guess this means Geno isn't playing tonight. They could have iced a roster without Z

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
First had the 3C model, now we're rolling out a new strategy called the Bottom Nine.

Our offense is going to be gross until Malkin gets back.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There's no way Elmer will stick with the big club once the veteran D are all heathy. Not unless we make a trade that enables him to stay up. And Bylsma has said even when everyone is healthy he wants Maatta to continue being a part of the top 6, so as far as "choosing rookie-ish players" he's already made his choice. It's Oli.

That makes Bort the 7D because he's on a 1-way deal, and because Engo has shown the ability to do the Disco Grind on line 4, while Joe Victory continues making Sutter a better player and human being by skating on the same line with him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There's no way Elmer will stick with the big club once the veteran D are all heathy. Not unless we make a trade that enables him to stay up. And Bylsma has said even when everyone is healthy he wants Maatta to continue being a part of the top 6, so as far as "choosing rookie-ish players" he's already made his choice. It's Oli.

can't argue with Maatta here. The correct answer is to trade somebody. Sadly, you're right about what we will do.
That makes Bort the 7D because he's on a 1-way deal, and because Engo has shown the ability to do the Disco Grind on line 4, while Joe Victory continues making Sutter a better player and human being by skating on the same line with him.

So do you think Adams will center Glass and Engo? No, I just disagree with this part in general. Engo won't be playing forward, and he'll be our 7th D over Bort.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
So do you think Adams will center Glass and Engo? No, I just disagree with this part in general. Engo won't be playing forward, and he'll be our 7th D over Bort.

More of a "hope" than a "think". ;) I'm deluding myself that Bort might catch a break because we have the precedent of Disco playing Engo on Line 4, and Vitale and Sutter seem to have meshed pretty well. But logic only takes us so far, I realize in the Land of Disco-dobas.

What the Logical, Realist Fan in me would like to see before the Olympic break:

Kunitz - Sid - Bennett
Kulemin - Geno - Neal
McGinn - Sutter / Victory
Glass - Adams - Kobachoo

Letang - Scuds
Elmer - Martin
OliBortasaurus Rex
Engo

What the Cynical, Realist Fan in me thinks we'll actually see (despite whatever gut feeling I had about Shero surprising us all):

Kunitz - Sid - Bennett
Juice - Geno - Neal
Megna / Grinder Trade - Sutter - Kobachoo
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Letang - Scuds
Martin - Orpik
Nisky - Oli
Engo / Bortuzzo

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The Kulemin non-sense... again...

Have you guys watched him play at all for the last three NHL seasons? I know he is Geno's buddy, but he sucks in the NHL. If we can have him for a 5th rounder, ok, but he isn't really an improvement over Jokinen at this point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Kulemin non-sense... again...

Have you guys watched him play at all for the last three NHL seasons? I know he is Geno's buddy, but he sucks in the NHL. If we can have him for a 5th rounder, ok, but he isn't really an improvement over Jokinen at this point.

In a vacuum? Maybe not. But he's the right fit for that line. Jokinen isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad