Injury Report: Tanner Glass - (MUMPS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
this reads identically to any discussion about glass on the pens board last year

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
this reads identically to any discussion about glass on the pens board last year
Oh really? Were Pens fans upset about the 3 year, 1.45M per contract they gave him too?

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE ME.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Oh really? Were Pens fans upset about the 3 year, 1.45M per contract they gave him too?

Look!

He may not be the reason we are having trouble

He may not be the reason Duclair is not up with the big boys

His contract may be a very good deal

, but

you analysis does not support a popular narrative

, so

you are wrong!

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

See, the thing is that Brian Boyle cost $500K more and is a player on quite a different level than Glass. Glass, for what he is and what he brings, isn't worth the contract Sather gave him based on what we could've gotten (and did get: Stempniak) for a lot less.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
See, the thing is that Brian Boyle cost $500K more and is a player on quite a different level than Glass. Glass, for what he is and what he brings, isn't worth the contract Sather gave him based on what we could've gotten (and did get: Stempniak) for a lot less.

yeah, we know that. we don't know why though... I guess we will find out soon enough. I don't see Glass lasting more than 25 games at this rate. Worst possession stats on the team, no points, -8, clearly no longer passing the eye test sans a few fights and 1 game saving play (yes, 1)...

There's no reason for him to be on this team, and I expect at the least for him to be a healthy scrath by game 25 at the latest, and shipped off this team by game 35-40

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Get used to it, AV thinks Glass is the coolest. He'll most likely play out the full season with no healthy scratches.

Look for him to start being scratched next season and either waived halfway through, or bought out at the end, if he doesn't improve, which by all indications, he won't.

I still don't think he's the problem as much as the D is lately (improving). Many teams have goons that are completely inept at hockey (remember Boogaard? Brashear, Purinton, Stock?) and go minus 5. 10, 15... fact is we're going to have GA, so wouldn't you rather it be Glass than Nash? Or maybe worse yet, Moore? He's a goon, big deal...

Should a goon make $1.45M x3? No, but our GM has establisheda penchant for giving such guys a lot of money. To be honest, and like most (though not as many admitted), I didn't know much about Glass when we signed him. The more I found out, it seemed like big overpayment. Now I can clearly see, it was. However, a goon is NEVER responsible for a team's failure, unless you're giving him top-six minutes (in which case you blame the coach), or if he's taking undisciplined penalties every other shift and getting suspended a lot.

I really find the Trevor Glass fixation intriguing, where an innocent bystander can board a subway with two Rangers fans, and leaving that train knowing only knowing Glass off our roster (besides Lundqvist, who everyone in NY knows).

Glass is not the problem.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Nobody thinks Glass is the sole reason this team is having issues defensively. That's ridiculous. And a strawman at that.

But he absolutely contributes to it. Any line he plays on (which happens to be the very important 4th line) is reduced to uselessness. Absolute garbage with him on it.

Last year we got our skill players more room and offensive zone starts, because we were able to throw all of the difficult starts at the 4th line, because AV could trust them against anyone in the league. He can't do that now, because Glass is such a liability whenever he's on the ice, that he needs more offensive zone starts for his inability to play hockey to be masked. That's a pretty ****ing huge downgrade from "we can trust them against any line in the league" to "he needs offensive zone starts to not be a ****ing trash pile hockey player".

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Nobody thinks Glass is the sole reason this team is having issues defensively. That's ridiculous. And a strawman at that.

But he absolutely contributes to it. Any line he plays on (which happens to be the very important 4th line) is reduced to uselessness. Absolute garbage with him on it.

Last year we got our skill players more room and offensive zone starts, because we were able to throw all of the difficult starts at the 4th line, because AV could trust them against anyone in the league. He can't do that now, because Glass is such a liability whenever he's on the ice, that he needs more offensive zone starts for his inability to play hockey to be masked. That's a pretty ****ing huge downgrade from "we can trust them against any line in the league" to "he needs offensive zone starts to not be a ****ing trash pile hockey player".

OK, then we're saying "this team necessarily struggles in part because of a fourth line goon who isn't playing well."

"Very important fourth line???" I'm guessing you're serious, Having a good fourth line is a bonus, but isn't critical if your top-nine is performing as it should. We were lucky to have a competitive 4th last season, yes, but it's not necessary. The fourth line serves three purposes... 1. Be hard to play against. 2. To provide complementary energy. 3. To give guys ice-time.

To be angry and cursing over Tanner Glass is silly. Glass is not the problem.00000

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Stempniak would have gotten a significant amount more if someone wanted to sign him on day 1 of free agency.

I'd like to see the Rangers wait it out a little bit in the future. Granted we did get Pouliot and Moore on day 1 the previous offseason. But guys to fill that role are cheaper later. Ryan Carter, for example, would have been a better get. Not because he's a better player, but because the delay in finding a team caused his ask to go down. I just don't get signing a 4th line guy out of the gate before you handle your RFAs. Seems backwards to me.

As for Glass on the ice, he will be playing until or if AV decides the role isn't useful. I'm not sure if that's going to happen or not.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
OK, then we're saying "this team necessarily struggles in part because of a fourth line goon who isn't playing well."

"Very important fourth line???" I'm guessing you're serious, Having a good fourth line is a bonus, but isn't critical if your top-nine is performing as it should. We were lucky to have a competitive 4th last season, yes, but it's not necessary. The fourth line serves three purposes... 1. Be hard to play against. 2. To provide complementary energy. 3. To give guys ice-time.

To be angry and cursing over Tanner Glass is silly. Glass is not the problem.00000

Did you sleep through all of last season? How can you watch last season's team and NOT think a great 4th line is important? They got such tough minutes, that they allowed Brassard's line to get a lot of favorable zone starts. Richards' line too. It's a trickle down effect. Having such a reliable 4th line gives every line more opportunities to not start in the defensive zone. Glass has single handedly made the 4th line SO bad, that this isn't happening anymore, and you see Brassard and Hayes getting a bigger handful of defensive zone starts than they should. He might not be the problem, but he is ABSOLUTELY a large part of the problem.

Whiskers*

Glass is now -10 on the year. You can not play in the NHL on a forth line and be -10 after 19 games. He is awful and this is another awful Sather signing. This guy is the worst player we have had in the last 4-5 years. It's not even close!!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm a pro-tuffness guy, but there is no way, in any circumstances that any semi-intelligent person on this board can tell me that Glass is a part of a winning equation.

I'm not a advanced stat die-hard like some that put a tremendous amount of stock in the difference between a 47 corsi and a 49... but Glass's performance on the eye test, backs up the ineptitude that the advanced stat nerds have gathered for 3 years running.

He sucks.

Rangers need to shore up the 4th line LW and RW roles.

I think Stempniak isn't a guy that you win with either.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Why would Glass come out of the line-up? He's playing exactly the same ineffective way he did in Pittsburgh. A big downgrade on Carcillo and Dorsett, but that's what they signed up for. No bait and switch here.

AV had the guy in VAN. Must love something about him in the room, because Glass is generally dreadful on the ice. Slats has a history of accommodating his coaches when it comes to depth players. He kept Orr around for Renney and signed Rupp for Torts. It takes a long time to knock a guy out of a line-up who has the coach's backing and a relatively big contract for a 4th liner. Looks bad on both AV and Slats if he's stuck in the press box. Sucks, but Glass probably has an extremely long rope.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Glass should get gold teeth with $ signs in the middle. Or maybe a mouth piece that looks like that.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Why would Glass come out of the line-up? He's playing exactly the same ineffective way he did in Pittsburgh. A big downgrade on Carcillo and Dorsett, but that's what they signed up for. No bait and switch here.

AV had the guy in VAN. Must love something about him in the room, because Glass is generally dreadful on the ice. Slats has a history of accommodating his coaches when it comes to depth players. He kept Orr around for Renney and signed Rupp for Torts. It takes a long time to knock a guy out of a line-up who has the coach's backing and a relatively big contract for a 4th liner. Looks bad on both AV and Slats if he's stuck in the press box. Sucks, but Glass probably has an extremely long rope.

AV said he got him because he felt got better than what he was in VAN. The fact is he really isn't. It was a bad move. Not only is he a bad hockey player, but we're overpaying him to a ridiculous extent.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

EXACTLY.

I don't think he's part of a losing nor a winning equation; he's Tanner Glass! Who? The guy that sucks, no arguing that point.

Stempniak on the other hand is average at just about everything. Good player to have in the bottom-six...

And I realize the fourth line is a world away from what it was, but we let that ship sail with B. Boyle... our D is like night/day from last season (granted, Mac's hurt, I know), and maybe Stralman's speed could've gotten us more offensive zone starts. These are silly what-ifs based on less-than-concrete stats--and that's NOT saying they're irrelevant.

Glass sucks... ****! Hey, anyone seen John Moore lately? He's... FAST! And how bout Kreider, staying onside all night!

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He's simply been not good. I wanted him to be good, I waited until I saw him in enough games and situations. He's just not good.

I can't believe he's signed for 2 more seasons after this.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
He's simply been not good. I wanted him to be good, I waited until I saw him in enough games and situations. He's just not good.

I can't believe he's signed for 2 more seasons after this.

Between the Glass and Boyle signings and letting Boyle and Stralman walk it has never been more clear that Uncle Glen has lost the plot.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I've tried to give Tanner a chance, just really see no real positives in his game that would justify a spot in the lineup (or roster, really).

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i was in the the-pros-see-something-in-glass-so-i-wont-argue camp up until now. but i'm starting to feel that the 12th forward spot would be better used on someone other than glass. i dont think he's horrible at all. but i do think there are better options. i'd like to see him rotate with fast, i guess. and definitely have duclair in the lineup most-every-night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad