Tanner Glass II: What a Goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The 16 games he missed last year:

#22 Ran. 3-0 Phil (Tanner had the mumps)
#23 Ran. 5-2 Phil
#24 TB 6-3 Ran.
#25 Det 3-2 Ran. (recovery from the mumps)
#27 Ran. 5-1 Van.
#35 Ran. 5-2 Fla.
#36 Ran. 6-1 Buff.
#37 Ran. 4-1 Ana.
#38 Ran. 4-3 L.A.
#39 Ran. 3-1 S.J.
#40 Isl. 3-0 Ran.
#43 Ran. 5-2 Pitt.
#44 Ran. 3-2 Ott.
#63 Det. 2-1 Ran (OTL--Sheppard comes on board)
#64 Ran. 1-0 Chi.
#68 Ran. 2-1 Fla.

So we were 12-3-1 without him in the lineup. 41-19-6 with him in the lineup. 52 goals for and 30 against. And that definitely argues that the Rangers were a better team with him not in the lineup with the caveat we weren't much of a physical team and we were less so without him. OTOH winning is its own justification and 12-3-1 is top notch. Of note--he didn't play on our west coast trip and besting all of Ana. L.A. (Stanley Cup champs) and S.J. 3 out of 4 nights got us a huge amount of attention and the Rangers at that point really began to roll.

The Rangers are a bigger team up front this year. The additions of Stalberg, Lindberg, Stoll and Etem--all over 6'0 and in the 200 lb. range or + and the subtraction of tiny St. Louis and the gangly but very quick and competitive Hagelin. The Rangers should be a stronger more physical team without Glass. FWIW none of the new guys fight but then Dylan McIlrath does and he should be a bit better at it than Tanner Glass.

Anyway this is what I think happened the last couple days. AV at least slightly preferred Diaz--because of his puck movement and versatility (being able to play on both the left and right sides) and Diaz's NHL experience (including his previous stint with the Rangers) and Gorton got him to back off that and take McIlrath instead. Then AV dug in his heels over Glass. The other idea that struck me is that the Rangers are trying to find Tanner another NHL home and are going to give that project a few days of effort.

If for some reason he starts the season with us I can see Tanner being this year's version of Ryan Malone---play a few games and then see you later--on waivers and down to Hartford if he's not claimed.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Cal Clutterbuck and Tanner Glass. The only two forwards in the NHL last year who played 600 or more minutes whose teams had a higher GF/60 shorthanded than they did 5v5 when said players were on the ice.

Way to go, guys!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Teams still value what he brings. It's why he got the contract he got. The Rangers have already paid the big money up front. Only a million dollars per year for the next 2 years for non-cap teams. He has quite a bit of playoff experience and his teammates love him. There is a variable no one takes into account, chemistry.

In saying that, the smart thing to do is move him if possible. If it's not possible, keep him for the beginning of the season when more teams seem to dress this type of player and then see if there are any takers. If there is a rash of injuries, there really are worse players to play a depth role on this team. He knows the system and keeps the game simple.

I am thinking the Tangers are shopping him. They must know teams want his services and would claim him. If that's the case then this is a smart move. Wait for one of those teams to offer up a pick and then move him for something. Dorsett returned a 3rd. Prost returned Kassian. These guys still have some value.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Cal Clutterbuck and Tanner Glass. The only two forwards in the NHL last year who played 600 or more minutes whose teams had a higher GF/60 shorthanded than they did 5v5 when said players were on the ice.

Way to go, guys!

But both guys were on winning teams, therefore weren't a problem and are valuable members to the team because the rest of the team overcame their ****tiness.

Wolfy*

You must be a big fan. How hard did he make you spit your beer out laughing? Maybe it was his ivy league education that has you enamoured? Is he a good story teller?

Please justify this satisfaction you are experiencing.

I actually met Glass. He's a good guy, teammates and coaches like him a lot. He certainly doesn't deserve all the crap on this board.

And if his hockey skills are as bad as some of you think, then the best coach in the league wouldn't have anything to do with him.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I actually met Glass. He's a good guy, teammates and coaches like him a lot. He certainly doesn't deserve all the crap on this board.

And if his hockey skills are as bad as some of you think, then the best coach in the league wouldn't have anything to do with him.

I know you have.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The best coach in the league does not roll 11f 7d in an ECF game 7 to play that 11th forward 5:53 and that 7th defenseman 4:17

*Bob Richards*

One man.

Exhibition game adequacy.

Never forget.

Tanner Glass. 2014-15 Preseason. It was aight.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

That's some ****** logic. Have you heard of the appeal to authority fallacy?

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

He gets crap on this board for sucking at hockey not being a bad human.

It's wonderful that he's a nice person, but that he's a good guy does nothing for this team. I'd much rather have a major ***** who can take a regular shift without sucking then a super nice guy who is a bottom 5 forward in the league.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
He gets crap on this board for sucking at hockey not being a bad human.

It's wonderful that he's a nice person, but that he's a good guy does nothing for this team. I'd much rather have a major ***** who can take a regular shift without sucking then a super nice guy who is a bottom 5 forward in the league.

They used to say all that crap about Marek Malik. He sucked at playing hockey [defense] too. He was a traffic cone.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

You know who else is probably a nice guy? McIlrath. He certainly doesn't deserve all the crap from you.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

How was your offseason Tanner?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

The fact that he's a good guy is 100% irrelevant. I don't want the Rangers to not be fielding the best team that they possibly can simply because Glass is a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad