Tanner Glass II: What a Goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
LOL...I love the UHF reference.

Glass wasn't half bad last night. He actually held onto the puck. The fourth line was effective, he went to the net to provide a screen on at least two of those goals and getting Martin off the ice for those 2 minutes.....Glass earned his keep.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He wasn't terrible last night but he's so inept on the forecheck that I find myself pulling my hair when he tries to keep the puck alive. He's just horrible at it. I swear, if he actually played like coaches seem to think he does, I'd really like him. But he doesn't.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Let's be clear: when folks are saying "he wasn't half bad", you mean you didn't notice anything where his play directly contributed to a goal against, right?

Because, while I didn't see him make any of the horrible, egregious, beer league errors we saw him make during the last several games, I still didn't see him do anything particularly effective. (e.g. Raspewtin's point about the forecheck.) Just because he didn't help the other team for once doesn't mean he did anything to help the Rangers...

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I kinda hate when glass has a semi decent game. I can just picture AV and sather sitting in a room talking about how the 4th line is coming together. Just cringe worthy.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He wasn't terrible last night. But for Glass, that just basically means that he didn't make some egregious mistake that led directly to a goal.

But he still wasn't any good. Still a way below average fourth liner. Moore and Stempniak really did all the work when it came to forechecking, as they always do, and that line still ran around in the defensive zone quite a few times.

But hey, at least he took himself and Matt Martin off the ice for two minutes, so that's something.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Let's be clear: when folks are saying "he wasn't half bad", you mean you didn't notice anything where his play directly contributed to a goal against, right?

Because, while I didn't see him make any of the horrible, egregious, beer league errors we saw him make during the last several games, I still didn't see him do anything particularly effective. (e.g. Raspewtin's point about the forecheck.) Just because he didn't help the other team for once doesn't mean he did anything to help the Rangers...

Basically, Yes

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Not really.

I noticed him twice last night. Once is when he stepped up to Martin in the faceoff circle. One was when he went to the net and missed a centering feed from Girardi.

Not great things. Not even good. But not bad. He was just there, and thats the best you can hope for out of him.

Played 10 mins, killing penalties for 2 mins of it. Meh. Bleh. Whatever.

*Bob Richards*

I forgot who set him up with the pass late in the game but had he scored, my head would have melted.

Anyway, he wasn't cringe worthy. Ill take it!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They still seriously need to upgrade him. Winning a few games in spite of him being on the roster doesn't change that IMO.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the Rangers should upgrade the 4th line and Glass is the first odd man out. I'd like to replace him with another gritty player because I think the Rangers need the edge but who they replace him with has got to be someone who can play. Dorsett and Carcillo had their moments when they contributed last year. Glass really hasn't done that. We need a more effective 4th line and Glass has pretty much proven to me that he's the weakest link and it's not really that close.

I'm not that jazzed about Stempniak's season either but he's more acceptable. Problem there is he's small--like Dominic Moore for a 4th liner. Moore is a lot more versatile player though and I'm fine with him. They don't match up well against the size and grit of the Isles 4th line--just for one example.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Playing Glass in a regular season game against the Islanders does not upset me especially with Fast out

Playing Glass every game regardless of the opponent over more skilled guys that could help them become a real 4 line two way team peeves me a bit.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
The Devils used to have a 4th line that owned us in the Conference Finals ....big and fast . That line pretty well killed us and they advanced to face LA . Let's not make the same mistake again . That physical Isle 4th line would do a lot of damage in a long series . :)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Devils used to have a 4th line that owned us in the Conference Finals ....big and fast . That line pretty well killed us and they advanced to face LA . Let's not make the same mistake again . That physical Isle 4th line would do a lot of damage in a long series . :)

If the Rangers play the Isles it will be a matter of time before Martin puts someone out of the lineup. That's an opinion but he's done it already once to us this year--slashing Stepan on the hand causing him to miss most of that game and be scratched in the next. He's a very physical player and he will be looking to cause havoc in his poor man's version of Milan Lucic way. Looking back at last year's playoffs against the Canadiens--Weaver knocked Brassard out of two games and then Prust knocked Stepan out of two games with a high hit. The playoffs have that tendency to bring out the inner animal in such players. The intensity and physical play gets ratcheted up a notch or two and it's not always avoidable. Forgetting all that or even thinking things will be different this year would be asking for trouble IMO. Winning playoff games is not some right/wrong morality thing. Teams do what it takes and if it means putting your best players in the hospital there are some players that will go to those extremes.

IMO the Rangers are going to need some players who can push back. After a season long of mostly futile play on his part I'd rather it not be Glass--I'm sick and tired of hearing all the carping about him being the worst player to ever lace on skates anyway though if he is the worst in the NHL today I wonder where John Scott ranks?

Generally I'm happy with our team as constructed. I don't even see our 6/7 defenseman as that much of an issue. I'd like a bigger and meaner 4th line and replacements who can actually play. Moore's fine as the center--change out Glass and Stempniak and I think we'll be good to go.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
It's a tough call on what to do with the 4th line. Who's available that fits the physicality that some are looking for. On one side, I'd like to someone that can neutralize the Martins of the league when they try to intimidate, on the other hand, getting some better skill on the 4th line can be the difference in a series. There's also the point where I'd be fine with a Miller-Moore-Fast 4th line and get the upgrade for the 3rd. There's options out there for sure. Curious to see which way the brain trust end up going with.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
For me it starts with Chris Neil I know he's hurt but for how long? I don't care if its 3 years too late the guy is still hell on wheels...He would be perfect on the 4th line with Moore he would keep players honest and give us attitude

If the Rangers play the Isles it will be a matter of time before Martin puts someone out of the lineup. That's an opinion but he's done it already once to us this year--slashing Stepan on the hand causing him to miss most of that game and be scratched in the next. He's a very physical player and he will be looking to cause havoc in his poor man's version of Milan Lucic way. Looking back at last year's playoffs against the Canadiens--Weaver knocked Brassard out of two games and then Prust knocked Stepan out of two games with a high hit. The playoffs have that tendency to bring out the inner animal in such players. The intensity and physical play gets ratcheted up a notch or two and it's not always avoidable. Forgetting all that or even thinking things will be different this year would be asking for trouble IMO. Winning playoff games is not some right/wrong morality thing. Teams do what it takes and if it means putting your best players in the hospital there are some players that will go to those extremes.

IMO the Rangers are going to need some players who can push back. After a season long of mostly futile play on his part I'd rather it not be Glass--I'm sick and tired of hearing all the carping about him being the worst player to ever lace on skates anyway though if he is the worst in the NHL today I wonder where John Scott ranks?

Generally I'm happy with our team as constructed. I don't even see our 6/7 defenseman as that much of an issue. I'd like a bigger and meaner 4th line and replacements who can actually play. Moore's fine as the center--change out Glass and Stempniak and I think we'll be good to go.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not really.

I noticed him twice last night. Once is when he stepped up to Martin in the faceoff circle. One was when he went to the net and missed a centering feed from Girardi.

Not great things. Not even good. But not bad. He was just there, and thats the best you can hope for out of him.

Played 10 mins, killing penalties for 2 mins of it. Meh. Bleh. Whatever.
Can I ask why you said "not really", then follwed with everything after that meant you should've just said "yes"?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For me it starts with Chris Neil I know he's hurt but for how long? I don't care if its 3 years too late the guy is still hell on wheels...He would be perfect on the 4th line with Moore he would keep players honest and give us attitude

That particular ship has sailed. Not sure if he wasn't too old in the first place. But for now a broken thumb. He's done for a while--maybe the season. He didn't want to leave Ottawa anyway. We can't trade assets for a guy who we're not even sure will be able to play for us.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I forgot who set him up with the pass late in the game but had he scored, my head would have melted.

Anyway, he wasn't cringe worthy. Ill take it!

It was Girardi. It was a very nice pass that Glass just totally missed. I'm surprised more people weren't mad about this. For 99% of NHL players, this is probably a goal. For Tanner Glass, it wasn't.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It was Girardi. It was a very nice pass that Glass just totally missed. I'm surprised more people weren't mad about this. For 99% of NHL players, this is probably a goal. For Tanner Glass, it wasn't.

Just finished watching the game again. It was a hard pass kind of timing play and (at least according to Michelletti) he had Brock Nelson all over him--there were at least 3 bodies in a very small space so....not necessarily a goal for 99% of NHL'ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad