GDT: TankTown Express, Next Stop NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
To @Robb_K, as others have pointed out, there are way too many teams with little space to make trades. Flat cap and all that.

The closer to the TDL we get, the easier it will be to make deals because in order to minimize the financial implications.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think it's time to sit a goalie and call up Hofer for a few. If the Blues can't tighten up and help a rookie like Hofer. They are hopeless.

Reactions: mab894

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
The only defenseman missing from the offensive juggernaut that the Blues were last season is Scandella.

Perron and Scandella. And we should fire the GM? Not saying you think Army should go.

Makes no sense.

Are we still pretending that last years team wasn't largely based around a degree of unreasonable luck? Like, we knew there was no chance they were gonna put up close to the shooting numbers, and there was pretty gigantic risk this team would fall back to earth when opposing goalies were not putting up a combined .875 save percentage against us.

We were never going to replicate those numbers. And we lost the goalie that actually kept our defense afloat last year, and our defense was already not particularly good, and also old. But we are locked into that D for a long god damn time.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
That was a weak post game presser from Chief. Wonder if he is actually gonna get fired even though hes not responsible for this joke.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Are we still pretending that last years team wasn't largely based around a degree of unreasonable luck? Like, we knew there was no chance they were gonna put up close to the shooting numbers, and there was pretty gigantic risk this team would fall back to earth when opposing goalies were not putting up a combined .875 save percentage against us.

We were never going to replicate those numbers. And we lost the goalie that actually kept our defense afloat last year, and our defense was already not particularly good, and also old. But we are locked into that D for a long god damn time.
Yes, I am pretending. oyvey

Replicating the numbers from last season may be unreasonable to expect, but this drop-off makes no sense.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
gordon-bombay-mighty-ducks.gif

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Kinda hard to believe that replacing Monty with MacT is that much of a difference maker.

But maybe it is.
MacTavish needs to get thrown into Louie's dungeon lair under the Enterprise Center where they keep all of the Babies Barbie snacks upon after games.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Jordan Kyrou is definitely NOT the problem with this team.

The veterans on this team are in his head.
Kyrou is not THE problem with this team. There are a few different problems with this team. Too many of their player assets, and too much of their CAP room is tied up in contracts of older players that are too slow, and going to get slower, and on the downside of their careers, and their defensive roster is inadequate, and most of its better players are nearing the end of their primes, and need sheltering because they are much weaker on the defensive side than the offensive. Goaltending in inconsistent. The Blues young talent is still mostly inexperienced on the NHL level, and there are not enough NHL ready.

Kyrou might become a weakness if he continues to have very slow progress in improving his defensive game, and make very slow or little progress in his play without the puck, team game, and learning to finish better by sharpening up his goal scoring by working on puck control and finishing moves.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
To @Robb_K, as others have pointed out, there are way too many teams with little space to make trades. Flat cap and all that.

The closer to the TDL we get, the easier it will be to make deals because in order to minimize the financial implications.
I didn't mean to imply that The Blues should trade players NOW. I just meant they should be traders BEFORE the actual trade deadline hits (what is usually termed "be sellers at The Deadline").

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Kyrou is not THE problem with this team. There are a few different problems with this team. Too many of their player assets, and too much of their CAP room is tied up in contracts of older players that are too slow, and going to get slower, and on the downside of their careers, and their defensive roster is inadequate, and most of its better players are nearing the end of their primes, and need sheltering because they are much weaker on the defensive side than the offensive. Goaltending in inconsistent. The Blues young talent is still mostly inexperienced on the NHL level, and there are not enough NHL ready.

Kyrou might become a weakness if he continues to have very slow progress in improving his defensive game, and make very slow or little progress in his play without the puck, team game, and learning to finish better by sharpening up his goal scoring by working on puck control and finishing moves.
This is the part that Army is responsible for, but it's been a single season removed from an amazing offensive output.

Army was banking on another Cup, but this leadership core, which is not too old and slow yet, is failing in a massive way.

I didn't mean to imply that The Blues should trade players NOW. I just meant they should be traders BEFORE the actual trade deadline hits (what is usually termed "be sellers at The Deadline").
I understand.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Yes, I am pretending. oyvey

Replicating the numbers from last season may be unreasonable to expect, but this drop-off makes no sense.

Why wouldn't it be? We were a negative possession team last year that allowed more shots then we put on net, and hockey has historically shown that good teams generally don't do that. The Blues were held up by a great goaltending season by Husso (Who is just good a goalie, who is helping Detroit to a huge degree this year) carrying another bad season from Binnington, an elite Powerplay (The team then let it's best powerplay player walk, and also lost our powerplay coach), and an ungodly shooting percentage that no other hockey team has put up since before goalie's pads got bigger.

This isn't a shock result. Plenty of people predicted this. Many of you pointed and laughed at the stuff from Dom and what not saying last year the Blues actually were not that good. Well, with how little changed, here we are.

Reactions: Frobbo

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We are 5-0-0 in 1 goal games. Given those tend to be the most random, good chance we are worse than our record indicates.

Reactions: mk80

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Everyone, I am officially retiring from GDT for the 2022-23 season. It was a long and tough decision to make but after sleeping on things and witnessing this turd team for yet another game, I will be retiring as a champion going 5-0, including a comeback win and 2 wins that broke losing streaks.

If the team decides to stop overpaying these frauds and put me on the payroll, I will come out of retirement. I look forward to future GDT but only as a fan.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Everyone, I am officially retiring from GDT for the 2022-23 season. It was a long and tough decision to make but after sleeping on things and witnessing this turd team for yet another game, I will be retiring as a champion going 5-0, including a comeback win and 2 wins that broke losing streaks.

If the team decides to stop overpaying these frauds and put me on the payroll, I will come out of retirement. I look forward to future GDT but only as a fan.
That's fine. We're gonna ride the TankTown Express to the kingdom of Bedard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad