Tank Thread and Tanking GDT XVII: The Tank Must Go On (San Jose @ Arizona)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
what are you even on about

Eh maybe I'm way off but the blatant cheering against the Sabres in the arena seems a bit obnoxious from the outside even if we are rooting for last place. Nobody wants to listen to Mike Weber scold fans on how to be fans in hopes he would make news because of his hockey play instead. Nothing against Web as a player or even locker room guy but, **** and play better.
To the former point, maybe I'm wrong, im not a sth so i cant speak from their pov.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
As a deason ticket holder, I don't want to see the ****-show that will be fan appreciation night if we lose 30th by beating the Penguins. I can envision jersey off their backs winners refusing the jerseys and worse....

Won't happen. There is 0% chance a fan would refuse a jersey or some gift from the Sabres organization on fan appreciation day no matter what place they end up in. Non issue, non factor, no way anything "negative" happens in relation to fan appreciation.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I really hope 30th place is mathematically locked up before the last game of the season. It would be nice to be able to root for them for once (ok, twice...I rooted for them when I saw them live).

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Won't happen. There is 0% chance a fan would refuse a jersey or some gift from the Sabres organization on fan appreciation day no matter what place they end up in. Non issue, non factor, no way anything "negative" happens in relation to fan appreciation.

I wonder if the divide will become more evident. There is a group of fans who may see an "us vs players" mentality which could carry over into next season.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
That was crazy. I checked the score during the first when we were down 2-0, then during the third when it was 2-2, then during the third when it was 3-2, with 2 minutes left, then at the end. I can't believe we had such a heroic come from ahead loss. Oh, the emotion swings. Plus it just feels weird caring this much about the games when there are 4 left and we're eliminated from the playoffs.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I wonder if the divide will become more evident. There is a group of fans who may see an "us vs players" mentality which could carry over into next season.

I don't think so to be honest. I think the majority of fans who have jumped on the tank mentality, will switch it off next season and root for wins. Even if the team loses a lot. I don't think there will be any appreciable divide to speak of.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think so to be honest. I think the majority of fans who have jumped on the tank mentality, will switch it off next season and root for wins. Even if the team loses a lot. I don't think there will be any appreciable divide to speak of.

I agree with this, I don't believe anyone will be rooting for losses next year and beyond. This year is unique because there's a player available in the draft that even non-sharp hockey fans have been talking about with excitement for 3-4 years...I doubt anyone but the most ardent fan could name the current favorite to go 1st overall in 2016.

We start the climb in 2015-16, the only thing that will disappoint me next year is if we're still drafting top ten.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Coyotes were badly outplayed, but hung in there for 55 minutes. Might be a different game if Moss didn't glove in an obviously goal. Smith getting the net tomorrow might help them out, and I bet the Sharks are gonna play Neimi back to back

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
And just like that Sharks have something to play for tomorrow. A win tomorrow could put them 1 point out of the playoffs.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't think you have much to worry about in regards to finishing last. We have been outshooting everyone the last 5 games while you're getting outshot 40-15 each game. Going to be a long rebuild for you guys.

No, it really won't. We have a good young core, while a few won't be up in the NHL next year, we are built pretty well from the net forward as long as Smith shows up. He's come back to life in the latter part of the year, compared to the first half of the season where we were all hating on his contract.

There are plenty of players on this roster that shouldn't be back. Erat, Crombeen, and Moss are 3 players to start with that are FA after this year that we should not sign again. Will they be? Very probable, but the group you see out there now won't be anywhere close to what you will see in 2 years.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
We'd have to win 2 of the last 4 to lose out on last.

Not happening. Enjoy Matthews next year. McEichel is ours.

No, we just need 3 points if the Yotes don't get a single point the rest of the year.
So 1-2-1 for the Sabres with no Yotes points pushes BUF to 29th. We'd need the Coyotes to at least get a point to push that to 2-2.

And after seeing what BUF has done the past few games, including tonight against the Hawks (though it was a tired team), I'd still be very concerned Buffalo blows this.

shalott

Feb 8, 2013
tumblr_mp89p0eu9Y1rs8jbdo1_500.jpg

Friendly reminder that this happened at the 2013 NHL Draft Day.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we can just get past tomorrow without points I'll feel a lot better. 3 chances to lose 2 games seems doable.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
No, it really won't. We have a good young core, while a few won't be up in the NHL next year, we are built pretty well from the net forward as long as Smith shows up. He's come back to life in the latter part of the year, compared to the first half of the season where we were all hating on his contract.

There are plenty of players on this roster that shouldn't be back. Erat, Crombeen, and Moss are 3 players to start with that are FA after this year that we should not sign again. Will they be? Very probable, but the group you see out there now won't be anywhere close to what you will see in 2 years.

You won't be a playoff team for another 3+ years at the earliest. Especially out west. Who is this great young core? The only NHL player I see is OEL. The rest will take years to develop.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
If we can just get past tomorrow without points I'll feel a lot better. 3 chances to lose 2 games seems doable.

Any OT games could kill us. Gotta take it one at a time. Hopefully Isles are motivated to clinch a playoff spot (in regulation) tomorrow. If that happens, and we are blessed with a Yotes win or OT/SO point, I'd definitely feel a lot better knowing we could go 1-1-1 in the last 3. I really am scared to death we blow this because of a freakin loser point.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
You won't be a playoff team for another 3+ years at the earliest. Especially out west. Who is this great young core? The only NHL player I see is OEL. The rest will take years to develop.

First, I said good, not great.

Second, I mentioned that a few will probably not be in the NHL next year.

Third, who are you to call out the Coyotes not being a playoff team when your Sabres are nowhere close to it either? I merely commented that the Coyotes aren't in a "long rebuild" like the poster I quoted mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad