Tank or re-tool on the fly?

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
So just curious as to how things stack up here, especially between season ticket holder and non-STH's.

Do you want the Canucks to tank with no significant UFA signings or trades until next summer, dumping a few more veterans along the way for more youth and picks, and risk up to 3 years and potentially more without any playoffs?

or

Now that there are some decent prospects in the system, continue down the path of a re-tool on the fly by adding a name UFA or two and pulling off a couple more trades, making the playoffs and gradually getting better while potentially sacrificing bottom third draft picks?

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Definitely don't tank Oilers style...

Ideally i'd like UFA's on short term deals so if the re-tool blows up they can be moved for assets and the rebuild thus commences.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It is a re-tool...
But it is a combination of both.
That is why I think it is a half-ass effort.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
i dont want to tank "oilers style", but I would like to tank this upcomming season, then get back to trying to be competitive

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Oiler style could also be Penguins style IMO

So plan to pick in the top 5 for the next 2-3 years, or try to be a competitive team while trying to get younger and use that buzz word, "retool" that everyone likes so much because rebuild is a scary word.

I'd probably say the former, you gun for a franchise centreman next year, and follow it up with a higher pick who should step in as our prospects are hopefully starting to make an impact at the NHL level. I obviously want the Sedins and Hamhuis to be around so it's not just the kids running the show, but I don't think our prospect pool is good enough and our players are too close to the end of their careers to retool on the fly.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
No doubt. Is this thread even posing a real question?

Sure it does. There are certainly people on here or fans in general that advocate getting as a good pick as possible in a deep draft next year and when I hear things like that, I'm always curious as to whether they're season ticket holders and prepared to ante up knowing there's no chance of going anywhere for a bit. Easy to say tank and full rebuild when you watch the games for free and have no skin in the game other than emotional.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
IMO, associating an actual rebuild with the Oilers is derailing this thread.

It should simply be rebuild vs retool

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I'd like to see this team ice the best team they can, with a proviso that all things being equal, young players and prospects should be given roster spots over vets.

I don't mind the Canucks kicking tires on somebody like Iginla, because the Canucks biggest need is scoring wingers, and he'd be a positive influence on younger players. He would also, one would assume, sign a short-term deal.

However, If a young player looks NHL ready, I think that player should play, even if they're maybe not quite up to the level of the older player being replaced. If a player like Linden Vey looks like he can be 90% as effective as Janik Hansen, the younger player should get the job. If Bo Horvat looks like he's about as effective as Matthias, the kid gets a look.

I don't really get the pursuit of Ryan Miller, because I don't know that he would be a massive upgrade over the younger Lack, and that money could be better spent on scoring.

The Canucks desperately need an injection of youth, but I don't think icing a team that can't compete is helpful. It can shatter the confidence of young players if they're losing every night.

Even if the next couple of seasons are transition years, there's nothing wrong with younger players getting a taste of a playoff race.

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Tank Oiler style for just 1 season. Grab McDavid/Eichel then do everything properly. Canadian fans don't have patience for long rebuilds. I get that. But I am not suggesting a long one. Just persevere for one season. We need a young elite franchise level talent to build upon.

Also to note. The timing is really perfect for tanking just the one season if you think about it. 2015 draft has some of the best elite talent to be included and this summers free agent crops are terrible and shallow.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
IMO, associating an actual rebuild with the Oilers is derailing this thread.

It should simply be rebuild vs retool

Well, do people have the stomach to suck for a few more years, even worse than this year, and want to RISK sliding longer than that? Vote with a caveat then.

Ventana*

Tank just this one year, sign some FA's this offseason at high salary 1 year deals, promising to trade them to a contender of their choosing at the deadline and retain 50% on each and flip them for picks in 2015, get a top 5 pick, take a center with that top 5 pick that has potential 1C in him. The year after that, insert young players who will more than likely be ready. (Horvat, Shinkaruk etc), and compliment them with vets with good skill to play along side of.. Make the playoffs and make at least Round 2, and don't tank from then on.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
half ass effort? we havent even hit FA market yet
we r going for re-tool by the sounds of going after miller and few other guys

Benning takes the middle road.
It is about as half-ass as possible.

Benning will probably go the free agency route to get short-term fixes...
I do not have any doubts...
But that is a terrible way to build a winning team.
The team...
As it is currently constructed...
Is not a contender...
And free agency will not change that...
Because of how poor and shallow it is.

Benning thinks he can win and still build for the future...
And I disagree with him.
A team should go all in one way or the other...
Or else it will continue to be a middling team.
That is just my opinion.
I will gladly be proven wrong.

Last edited:

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Oiler style could also be Penguins style IMO

There's a huge difference between what these 2 teams did.

The problem with the Oilers is that they decided to go completely with their youth and didn't have veterans to help guide the team and mentor the young. The Pens had a lot of vets on their roster when Crosby and Malkin first came in - they learned from seasoned vets - led of course by Lemieux, but that team also had Recchi, Palffy, Gonchar, and Leclair.

The Oilers thought they could just let their youth run with it and develop on their own... and then made things even worse by recycling rookie coaches to guide them. This is why even with their most talented players you see holes in their games.

The proper way to rebuild, IMO, is to have good leaders and respected vets around for your youth to lean on - and not to stack the roster with young players, but bring them in gradually learning from the vets. This is what we saw in Pittsburgh.. what we always see in Detroit, what we've seen in the past in Colorado (though they are a very young roster this time around).

Teams that seemed to be forever stuck in rebuild, like the Oilers, or Thrashers in the past, or Isles, etc, seem to focus so much to finding as many spots for their up and comers that they ignore the importance of having good veteran leaders to help that development process. Don't want to see the Canucks caught in that cycle. The Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa - these guys are going to be invaluable IMO in helping the next wave develop.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
We still don't have a franchise player for the future. Need one by any means necessary.

The is a retool rebuild hybrid for from what I'm seeing, though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm for re-tooling rather than tanking and rebuilding

If everything goes to hell in a handbasket and we finish last, then those are the bounces and a prize like McDavid is excellent consolation.

That said, we shouldn't be actively trying to suck to ensure a high draft pick. It doesn't even gurantee that you get the draft pick that would be used to get a guy like McDavid.

For those reasons, re-tool and re-load.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This "retooling on the fly" is just going to turn this team into another Calgary or Toronto. Definitely don't want that.

Why does it have to be "tank oilers style?" Why can't it be "tank Avalanche style?"

realist99

May 3, 2010
You don't need top 5 picks to rebuild. You can still try and put the best possible team on the ice. Just keep an eye on the puck and continue building the farm and acquiring young talent.

It's ok to acquire older players as long as ..

1. No long term deals
2. He doesn't block the development of a younger player
3. Only pay cash for him ...not assets

realist99

May 3, 2010
Benning takes the middle road.
It is about as half-ass as possible.

Benning will probably go the free agency route to get short-term fixes...
I do not have any doubts...
But that is a terrible way to build a winning team.
The team...
As it is currently constructed...
Is not a contender...
And free agency will not change that...
Because of how poor and shallow it is.

I know he wants to build up the prospect depth...
And field a competitive roster...
At the same time...
But I think that is a terrible idea.
A team should go all in one way or the other...
Or else it will continue to be a middling team.

It is just my opinion.
I will gladly be proven wrong.

The Boston Bruins say hello

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille