Proposal: Tanev to Toronto

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
In hindsight, sure, but it looked like Mitchell’s career was over at the time. IIRC he was struggling to even go outside, let alone play hockey.

Mitchell, IIRC, wasn't even willing to look at signing a contract until he knew he was going to be able to play again, which wasn't until probably more than a month after the Ballard deal. The idea that they should have signed Mitchell instead was pretty much impossible.

A better criticism of the Ballard deal was that while on the surface he'd been a decent player, closer inspection should have shown that he wasn't necessarily well-suited for the way they wanted the team's defensemen to play. How spectacularly he'd self-destruct was pretty impossible to predict, though, and they needed someone since it would have been foolish to assume that Hamhuis would sign here as a UFA.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
April 27, 2013.

That was Keith Ballard's last game as a Canuck.

An utterly forgettable player who retired a century ago, and yet not a day goes by that I don't see his name on these forums. It is truly remarkable.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
April 27, 2013.

That was Keith Ballard's last game as a Canuck.

An utterly forgettable player who retired a century ago, and yet not a day goes by that I don't see his name on these forums. It is truly remarkable.

Well Gillis didn't have an email scandal, as far as I can tell.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Well Gillis didn't have an email scandal, as far as I can tell.
gillis-arrogant_zpsa1icoat3.png

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Peter Chiarelli is openly shopping the 10th pick with hopes of addressing some short-term needs immediately.

"I’d be OK with our blue line as it is now, but we would look to move the pick if the right player – an NHL defenceman – is available," said Chiarelli. "I’ve had discussions with some team
s."

Oilers have shown reluctancy recently with trading with us but Tanev (+ probably) for 10th OA?

Benning says he likes 9 players in draft if one of them if available and their interested we should trade Tanev plus to get it done. The plus could be quite large like one of our second Sven B. or Hutton plus a third. Quality over quantity.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I dont think we get that for Tanev, if he is shipped out I'd be OK with Nylander for Tanev straight up, or even Connor Brown and Leafs 2019 second round pick. It would however leave a huge hole for right handed defencemen on our backend and with Hughes and Juolevi coming up I would rather keep Tanev to play with one of them.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
there is so little canuck ufa /trade rumour action that the talking heads are forced to just speculate on good fits.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Lol you do a tanev for nylander deal in a heartbeat. Toronto won't unless we add. If we could add nylander to our forward group tho....

Horvat
Petterson
Boeser
Nylander
Lind
Gaudette
Dahlen

Ya....

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Kippers tweet was Tanev+ for Nylander if i'm mistaken. With Gilman in Toronto they will know just about everything good and bad in the Canuck's org.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think benning is more likely to overpay for other team firsts for next year. he's got hughes fever and the only cure is more hughes.

I agree.

It's bizarre how the narrative coming from management 2 weeks ago was competing and more older players and O'Reilly and trading the #7 pick and now .... nothing. No players of any note tied to us.

It's like a dog seeing a squirrel in the form of both Hughes brothers and all of a sudden it's the rebuild that should have been happening for the last 3 years.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I agree.

It's bizarre how the narrative coming from management 2 weeks ago was competing and more older players and O'Reilly and trading the #7 pick and now .... nothing. No players of any note tied to us.

It's like a dog seeing a squirrel in the form of both Hughes brothers and all of a sudden it's the rebuild that should have been happening for the last 3 years.

It's also likely that no one wants to come here.

Best bet is to stay status quo, sign a couple 1 year contracts if possible, shit the bed, trade assets at the TDL (Tanev, etc.) and hope for some lottery luck.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Some clown in the main forum trades thread section of the forum in the trades part offered Nylander for Gaudette Tanev and a 4th lolololol hahahahahaha :laugh:

Reactions: Josepho and clunk

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Tanev for Horton, Liljegren, 2nd.

TML could then afford Tavares and Nylander. Then next summer they trade Marleau to afford Matthews raise

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Mitchell, IIRC, wasn't even willing to look at signing a contract until he knew he was going to be able to play again, which wasn't until probably more than a month after the Ballard deal. The idea that they should have signed Mitchell instead was pretty much impossible.

A better criticism of the Ballard deal was that while on the surface he'd been a decent player, closer inspection should have shown that he wasn't necessarily well-suited for the way they wanted the team's defensemen to play. How spectacularly he'd self-destruct was pretty impossible to predict, though, and they needed someone since it would have been foolish to assume that Hamhuis would sign here as a UFA.

Ballard also came in with a pre-existing hip injury the Canucks weren't aware of.

The league changing the rule on hip checking was kind of a kick in the teeth right after the Canucks aquired the two guys (Ballard and Hamhuis) best at it in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad