Rumor: Tan1040|Matt Sekeres: Canucks the most active team in the trade market ++

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hanafin is the only rumoured player I'd want for that first round pick. Moving up, outside of picks one or two, doesn't help us really, and moving down means little too as who we should want are between 4th and 14th overall, depending on who you ask.

Tanev, Hutton, Del Zotto, Edler, Gudbranson, Markstrom, Nilsson, Sutter, Eriksson, Granlund, Baertschi, Gagner...pretty much anyone not named Hortvat, Boeser or Gaudette who played for the Canucks I'd be willing to part with, and prospects also withstanding.

With the Sedins retired, I hope to have a real rebuild happen, I just don't want to salt the earth.

too late.

salting the earth was tying up $17.425 million in eriksson, gagner, gudbranson, and sutter until 2020, and $14.275 million until 2021, with eriksson still on the books for $6 million in 2022. salting the earth was having no 2nd round pick in the 2015 and 2016 drafts, and going into the 2018 draft with only six picks, while trading away mccann, forsling, shinkaruk, subban, the garrison 2nd, and the bieksa 2nd.*

*note: these are different 2nd round picks than the ones we also traded in the 2015 and 2016 drafts, for baertschi and gudbranson, respectively; those ones were for vey and sutter.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Benning f***ed up a few picks early (i am near 100% sure it was all ownership on the virtanen pick and benning had no control), but if you compare his drafting to basically every single GM we had in the past few decades, it's not remotely close.

The real problem is Jimbo is the god awful signings he has had.

If he has not had such terrible signings, people would barely bitch about him, His contracts he gives are awful one after another after another after another.

The fact he wont BUY contracts like the ones in Chicago or Edmonton, this is what good gms do.

He could make the entire damn Canucks fanbase go apeshit if he grabs seabrook and shit shit contract and chicagos first.

And goes out and grabs lucic's shit contract and edmonton's 1st.

We can afford it, we have a ton of cap, this is what good GM's do.

Last edited:

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Do you mean, take back some "crap?" We have lots of crap. So do you though, so don't see these two teams as good trading partners.
Haha essentially. Just saying open to guys like Eriksson. I know we likely weren't going to find a deal honestly, just had to see as #7 would likely land us Kotkaniemi

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I wanna see jimbo move up and grab zadina from the habs, and let the habs go with a local boy in Dobson.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Vancouver:
Tyler Myers
Steve Mason
Nic Petan

Winnipeg:
Chris Tanev
Jake Virtanen

I don't see the rationale here. Tanev and Myers each have the same injury worries. Myers scores more and has the better pedigree, Tanev plays more and plays the top pairing. Let's just assume that they're equal in value. Why would we trade Virtanen for a cap dump in Mason (who would also take up Demko's spot) and Nic Petan? We have enough players of Petan's calibre. We already have 2 goalies under contract in Nilsson and Markstrom.

The point of trading Tanev is to get younger. He is too old for our core. It's better to have him bring some usefulness to a team, have a go at a cup, instead of golfing in Vancouver during his prime. This trade doesn't address that in any way.

I wouldn't mind trading for Mason if we can get a draft pick out of it.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I wanna see jimbo move up and grab zadina from the habs, and let the habs go with a local boy in Dobson.

Dobson wont be available at 7. No way. There's no way that between 3 to 6 we get 4 incompetent Gms which pass on him

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are trying to rebrand. They need a total new look. They need a number one center, a number one defenseman and a starting goaltender, IMO. These pieces aren't easily had. Free agency is very thin for these type of players. To get there, Canucks will have to make some trades. No doubt Benning will have to look everywhere to find guys willing to become Canucks. It's a hard sell, unless...

If they sign Tavares it will make other moves more obvious. I think they need a de facto enforcer. They were a decent team with Dorsett but it might not be obvious to them. They allowed the Sedins to absorb epic punishment for years. Gudbranson is their idea of a deterrent, apparently?

Also, goaltending is a puzzler for Vancouver. I do not doubt they will go with Demko and Markstrom, a biggish gamble. Canucks defense has been poor, allowing goalies to be pelted. Some crack. Others struggle. No one flourishes. This alone complicates attracting big names, IMO.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I can see the Canucks maybe picking up a prospect or a pick in exchange for moving down a spot or two... especially if their first choice of guys is gone.

Otherwise, they might move Tanev, Gudbransen, Baertschi and/or Granlund for picks.

Hopefully they won’t be giving up on Virtanen now that he finally seems to be turning a corner.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If you have a former top 10 first round pick that has **** the bed and is all but confirmed a bust, give Dim a call, he's interested.

Not sure what you are ranting about. There are several teams burning up phone lines as reported by several different reports. Compared to them Vancouver has been quiet. My guess is some One in the canuck organization feels left out so the told the writer they are on the phone most.

Every team is on the phone right now and I do not see Vancouver being the busiest team

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Benning ****ed up a few picks early (i am near 100% sure it was all ownership on the virtanen pick and benning had no control), but if you compare his drafting to basically every single GM we had in the past few decades, it's not remotely close.

The real problem is Jimbo is the god awful signings he has had.

If he has not had such terrible signings, people would barely ***** about him, His contracts he gives are awful one after another after another after another.

The fact he wont BUY contracts like the ones in Chicago or Edmonton, this is what good gms do.

He could make the entire damn Canucks fanbase go ape**** if he grabs seabrook and **** **** contract and chicagos first.

And goes out and grabs lucic's **** contract and edmonton's 1st.

We can afford it, we have a ton of cap, this is what good GM's do.

Those are not the contracts we should be targeting. We have cap space for now but adding those 2 contracts are way too long of term to further handcuff our team. Bringing those 2 contracts into the fold severely hurts our ability to sign players coming off of their ELC's. Having all that money tied into Lucic, Seabrook, Eriksson, Sutter and Gudbrandson is a disaster.

Jan 21, 2018
Juolevi is 20 years old. Jake is 21.

Talk to me in 5 years before you say they were misses. We hardly know what they are yet. Jake will pot 20 next year mark my words.

lol okay maybe Juolevi still has time but Virtanen is a BUST given his draft position. You don't draft bottom 6 wingers with a top 10 pick, especially when Nylander/Ehlers were still on the board.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh every team is looking to make moves,Van has some nice pieces on their team and coming up ...Them making a few moves to make a push shouldnt really be news

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad