Tampering for Leafs to discuss Lehner's expectations for next.year?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Well he did tweet this so... there's a chance!

Would love Lehner but he'll be pricey.

Honestly if we can get a decent goaltender locked in July 1st at $6M or less for 4-5 years, I would move Freddie for assets and take the cost certainty moving forward.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He had a really good season behind a very solid defensive team in NY, and a decent season behind a decent team in Chicago. Any particular reason to believe he'd have a great season behind our shit show?

And that picture is just taking the piss out of the Leafs, and Tavares in particular.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
He had a really good season behind a very solid defensive team in NY, and a decent season behind a decent team in Chicago. Any particular reason to believe he'd have a great season behind our shit show?

And that picture is just taking the piss out of the Leafs, and Tavares in particular.
All D's would fear him... that could make a difference. :naughty:

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lehner is looking to cash in big. He's a better goaltender than Andersen and I'd love to have him, but he's just as much one of those goaltenders who are likely to start hitting the decline soon and will be paid a ton for what is naturally a very unreliable return.

You guys, want a guy, with his easily combustible personality playing behind our defence? ... No thanks.
That's a good point.

Reactions: qqaz

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Underrated goalie. He would have been great here. I would not dare to loose with him in net. Get Lundquist as backup. The furious goalie and his grumpy sidekick would rule the team by fear and sadness. You dont want to make Lundy sad(sadest goalie ever) and you definitly dont want to make Lehner angry.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
What he did behind Chicago was pretty remarkable not sure he could handle the media hotbed that is Toronto but you could get nice term and cap hit on him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Lehner is looking to cash in big. He's a better goaltender than Andersen and I'd love to have him, but he's just as much one of those goaltenders who are likely to start hitting the decline soon and will be paid a ton for what is naturally a very unreliable return.

That's a good point.
I wouldn't say he's a better goalie, but that he's had the advantage of playing behind a much better (defensive) team.

Reactions: FraumBallard

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You guys, want a guy, with his easily combustible personality playing behind our defence? ... No thanks.

The history might put a bit of downforce on his market value but he had an improperly treated medical condition so I think that "easily combustible" is possibly a reach. He has been great for two years and I would say the Hawks D corps is worse than the Leafs. Of course there is due dilligence required but if he will take 4 year deal I would probably do it.

A Lehner deal at age 29 may be safer than Freddy at 32.

Last edited:
Reactions: CelticDruid

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
I would love a guy who battled against addiction/emotional issues. He brings energy, holds teammates accountable, is big and athletic.

Competes every single night.

Honestly could be a guy you sign 4-5 years at 5mil per, then move Freddy for assets.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Given Lehner’s mental health struggles, it might not be a good idea to play in front of the leafs defense, or for the city.

Not a good idea at all
I think given Bell/Rogers pull and all their mental health advocacy would actually benefit him and us. I presume/hope media would lay off on him for the most part.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think given Bell/Rogers pull and all their mental health advocacy would actually benefit him and us. I presume/hope media would lay off on him for the most part.

Feshchuk
Simmonds
Arthur

these clowns would go out of their way to make sure he has mental health issues, the total fabricating of a hotdog story x10 on a guy with mental health issues these despicable humans will try their best to get "the story" they want

Reactions: Slot and kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Will be interesting to see if he opts for/gets term after his past few contracts have been one year deals.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I'm ready to run with Campbell and Woll next year and save all of Freddy's cap (traded). The next year is Woll and Scott both on sweetheart extensions. Hey, if you can't bet you your own top prospects to develop, why even bother... It's the best opportunity to get disproportionate value out of a roster spot in a cap league. Put Freddy's dollars straight into defence and bet on your kids.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Chances are Lehner didn't even receive a call from the Maple Leafs.
The Leafs only involvement in the transaction was a paper-trail.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019

nah hes really a great guy the leafs would be lucky to have someone like him in the org

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm ready to run with Campbell and Woll next year and save all of Freddy's cap (traded). The next year is Woll and Scott both on sweetheart extensions. Hey, if you can't bet you your own top prospects to develop, why even bother... It's the best opportunity to get disproportionate value out of a roster spot in a cap league. Put Freddy's dollars straight into defence and bet on your kids.
Woll has been bad in the AHL this year. If you think he's ready then you clearly haven't watched this year. No way either of them replace Freddy.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Freddy's struggles this season are a legit, but nothing every other goalie hasn't had at some point in the past few seasons. Lehner hit rough patches before. He's no more consistent than Andersen.

I like Lehner, and love his story overcoming personal/mental health issues. But I don't think he'd be a better goalie for our team moving forward.

Reactions: FraumBallard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad