Friedman: Tampa trying to find a new home for Slater Koekkoek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes as well know Defensemen peak at age 24.

He turns 25 next month. And by 25, if you are not a regular in the lineup with upward mobility and progression in your game over at least the past 2 or 3 years... well you are a bubble player.

There isn't much value in that and they typically end up on waivers.

Reactions: 7even

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
He turns 25 next month. And by 25, if you are not a regular in the lineup with upward mobility and progression in your game over at least the past 2 or 3 years... well you are a bubble player.

There's a difference between being a bubble player and being stuck behind multiple great defensemen on a stacked team.

Reactions: tmac51

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There's a difference between being a bubble player and being stuck behind multiple great defensemen on a stacked team.

So what happened the past 4 years? He was stuck behind great dmen every year? Seems like such a convenient excuse.

And i'm sorry... but Brayden Coburn does not count as a "great" dman. Reliable and serviceable yes... great? f*** no.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The Bruins were interested a year maybe two years ago. But things have changed drastically since then in regards to their left side organizationally. I doubt they're still interested at this point.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

That is not as always the case, most of the time you are right but there are exceptions on Detroit Nick Jensen who is having a decent season comes to mind.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That is not as always the case, most of the time you are right but there are exceptions on Detroit Nick Jensen who is having a decent season comes to mind.

Not always the case.... but its usually the case. I'm not interested in a player that has not established any firm footing as a defender in the NHL by 25 years old. Not giving up assets when i can just sign these types of players in the offseason for the league minimum or take them off waivers.

He has minimal to no value.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So what happened the past 4 years? He was stuck behind great dmen every year? Seems like such a convenient excuse.

And i'm sorry... but Brayden Coburn does not count as a "great" dman. Reliable and serviceable yes... great? **** no.

Coburn's better than a 3rd pairing defenseman, which is where he's playing, thus blocking the way. Last year we had Sergachev on the left, also blocking the way. KK has had good players in front of him for about two years now. Before that he was breaking in, and doing fairly well at times. Other times, not so much.

I think he would be either a 3rd pairing guy or a #7 with upside on most teams in the league. He didn't knock down the door to the NHL, but he also wasn't really ever guided in. The best he's looked was in the 2016 playoffs vs. the Pens, where he was one of maybe three guys who played well in that series. We thought he'd be a lock for the roster the next year, but it's just never worked out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not always the case.... but its usually the case. I'm not interested in a player that has not established any firm footing as a defender in the NHL by 25 years old. Not giving up assets when i can just sign these types of players in the offseason for the league minimum or take them off waivers.

He has minimal to no value.

...This is why TB does well. We go get guys like Yanni Gourde, who are apparently too old to make it.

Koekkoek's unlikely to be a Yanni Gourde, but saying he's never going to have value because he's not an NHL regular by 25, particularly given his circumstances, is just looking at the situation on its surface. Koekkoek's played well when he's been in this year.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
this is where chia shld have wasted his 3rd gamble for a young d man with upside .. not the guy who tried to kill mcdavid and the guy who lost 3 fights in 1 game..

DrKorea5

May 30, 2018
I'll reiterate the same thing other Canuck fans have stated already, This seems like the perfect Benning trade scenario a la Baer or Granny.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
This sounds like the Leivo deal in Toronto.

Buried behind to much depth, dealt off to a team in need of depth for what some people considered to be less than market value.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I have more confidence in Koekkoek than I do in Masin to have some instant NHL success, which means at the very least they should sign him to a cheap contract this offseason and bring him into camp and see which one of them wins a job.

NHL quality defensemen aren't abundant.

Rypien37

Aug 20, 2013
I feel like Tampa is way past the point of a decent return for him. He seems to have been on the trade block for a few seasons now.
I haven't watched him play much but his numbers aren't that great either.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Heard that Chicago is a possible landing spot for KK. Has to happen soon, since Miller is expected back, and no one else is going on IR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Verdoux

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Wasn't he highly regarded, what happened?
I'm pretty sure he was one of the names out there when we were looking to trade Drouin at the TDL. And now we're looking to move Koekkoek for him. Funny how things change.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Heard that Chicago is a possible landing spot for KK. Has to happen soon, since Miller is expected back, and no one else is going on IR.

Koekkoek + Bournival for Rutta + D. Sikura? It's mostly Koekkoek for Sikura with Rutta already cleared in the AHL he helps Syracuse and saves Chicago money taking his contract while Bournival makes a lot less in the AHL and we'd need to shed a veteran status player. Chicago gets a look at Koekkoek to see what he can bring and Tampa gets Sikura to help the Crunch on a Calder run.

Could then see Tampa moving out a Tammela for a pick to free up a roster spot since they're at 49 and he won't play much with the forward depth in Syracuse. Then I can see Syracuse moving a Labrie/Valleau for an ECHL player as the Crunch would be loaded with defenders.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'd really like to see him get a chance elsewhere. He is an excellent skater and his offensive game is still in its infancy at the NHL level, yet still looks good. He plays like a player terrified to make a mistake right now, though that has subsided some because they have shown him that they'll bench him regardless of his play. Good attitude, hard worker, good teammate. I think he can still be an impact player at the NHL level but will likely need to go someplace with playing time and either strong structure or a good defensive coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad