Friedman: Tampa trying to find a new home for Slater Koekkoek

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
From his 31 thoughts:

Add Pat Maroon to the list of available St. Louis Blues. And Tampa Bay is trying to find a new home for Slater Koekkoek, currently on a conditioning stint at AHL Syracuse.
Koekkoek has been passed up a few times now between Sergachev and Cernak. Never really had an opportunity to shine.

Could be a decent boom/bust pickup for a rebuilding team

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
So Tampa fans. Was he ever given a fair chance? Or just unlucky to be buried on the D depth chart?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So Tampa fans. Was he ever given a fair chance? Or just unlucky to be buried on the D depth chart?

A little of both. He's looked good at times, bad at others, and got buried either way. The honest assessment is the jury's still out for him. He has an outside chance at being a decent 2nd pairing defenseman, and should be a lock for a 3rd pairing defenseman, although how good he'll be in either role remains up in the air.

So yeah. He's been roadblocked for sure. It's just, sometimes he's deserved it. Other times not so much. I wouldn't be shocked to learn he's a good defenseman for some other team two years from now. Nor would I be shocked to learn he can't find an NHL job.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I agree with DFC that he's just an unknown right now. I would say he's never been given a really good opportunity, but I'll also say that he's never forced Tampa's hand either. He got in 35 games last season and still finds himself without a solidified spot.

Cernak is a guy that came in forced their hand, almost immediately. Now he does play a different kind of game than Koekkoek does, so there's that piece, but he was too good to not have a place for.

I think a team that can give the kid a legit chance for an extended period of time, without moving him in and out of the lineup could see a return on their investment. Tampa is a team that's built to have this happen every so often with how the develop their kids.

As far as return, I imagine they'd be looking for a pick or maybe a similar boom/bust prospect.

Reactions: zaqq

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Yeah its probably time for him to move on. Hopefully he can get a good chance with another team. I don't know about other Lightning fans but a half-decent prospect that doesn't require waivers would be fine with me

Coo-Coo
Why did I think it was "QuackQuack"

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This sounds like a team that knows they need to get something before putting a player on waivers.

Ottawa has been linked to him in the past. I don't get it, but I could see Ottawa possibly giving up a 6th or 7th round pick to get him. That's pretty much the market price for fringe NHL defenders.

I'd prefer the Sens keep the pick.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canucks should be interested although they might need to send a D back. What is Tampa looking for?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we'll want a mid-rounder at worst. No real incentive to move him other than for his own good, and he still has SOME value to us as a safety net for this summer's cap crunch. So if the offers are in the 5th and 6th range, I think we just hang onto him and see what our D looks like after July 1. If there's still no room for him, we'll move him then. If somebody offers a 3rd or a 2nd, we probably make the move now.

Or maybe a scoring AHL forward who struggles to make the leap. Like a lesser version of Conacher.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like the Pat Maroon being available part is the bigger story.

I want Maroon on TOR yesterday

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Koekkoek needs a chance somewhere. Hes just not getting it in TB right now. Not unless somebody gets hurt. He hasnt been bad when I have watched him this year. Kind of wish we had room for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad