Friedman: Tampa trying to find a new home for Slater Koekkoek

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
A little of both. He's looked good at times, bad at others, and got buried either way. The honest assessment is the jury's still out for him. He has an outside chance at being a decent 2nd pairing defenseman, and should be a lock for a 3rd pairing defenseman, although how good he'll be in either role remains up in the air.

So yeah. He's been roadblocked for sure. It's just, sometimes he's deserved it. Other times not so much. I wouldn't be shocked to learn he's a good defenseman for some other team two years from now. Nor would I be shocked to learn he can't find an NHL job.

Sounds exactly like Jordan’s Schmaltz honestly.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So a D-man who can’t crack another team’s lineup on a regular basis? Peter Chiarelli, you’re on the clock.

Well, I think SOME benefit of the doubt has to be given to Koekkoek in that TB's Left Side Defense is probably the hardest position in the league to crack. He's behind Hedman, McDonagh, and Coburn, the latter of whom is playing like he's 25 somehow. There are defensemen a lot better than Koekkoek who wouldn't be able to crack that left side at the moment.

Cernak forced his way onto the lineup, but he had a much easier path, being a righty. Our right side is Stralman, who was injured for about 15 games, thus giving Cernak his shot, Sergachev, who struggled in the early portion of the season, and Dan Girardi. Cernak might legitimately be better than Girardi, and yet we still rotate them. The math against Koekkoek is about 10x harder.

Again, that's not to say Koekkoek is a sure-fire NHLer, lost in the mire. It's just that we really don't know. He's performed well and performed poorly at different stages, and been roadblocked either way.

All that said, he might be one of the safer reclamation projects on the market. He could be had fairly cheap (a mid-rounder in season, less in the off-season), could probably play in most NHL lineups tomorrow, and still has a pretty good upside. Not quite the risk-reward scenario of say a Justin Shultz, but, still, teams who need a warm body could do worse.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Well, I think SOME benefit of the doubt has to be given to Koekkoek in that TB's Left Side Defense is probably the hardest position in the league to crack. He's behind Hedman, McDonagh, and Coburn, the latter of whom is playing like he's 25 somehow. There are defensemen a lot better than Koekkoek who wouldn't be able to crack that left side at the moment.

Cernak forced his way onto the lineup, but he had a much easier path, being a righty. Our right side is Stralman, who was injured for about 15 games, thus giving Cernak his shot, Sergachev, who struggled in the early portion of the season, and Dan Girardi. Cernak might legitimately be better than Girardi, and yet we still rotate them. The math against Koekkoek is about 10x harder.

Again, that's not to say Koekkoek is a sure-fire NHLer, lost in the mire. It's just that we really don't know. He's performed well and performed poorly at different stages, and been roadblocked either way.

All that said, he might be one of the safer reclamation projects on the market. He could be had fairly cheap (a mid-rounder in season, less in the off-season), could probably play in most NHL lineups tomorrow, and still has a pretty good upside. Not quite the risk-reward scenario of say a Justin Shultz, but, still, teams who need a warm body could do worse.

It was really more of a joke regarding the type of move Chia would make. Had he not made his recent stupid, unnecessary deals (Manning; Petrovic) then Koekkoek would have actually been an ideal target. But no, Chia targets guys who can’t crack the lineup of teams that actually have worse records than us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It was really more of a joke regarding the type of move Chia would make. Had he not made his recent stupid, unnecessary deals (Manning; Petrovic) then Koekkoek would have actually been an ideal target. But no, Chia targets guys who can’t crack the lineup of teams that actually have worse records than us.

Oh no, I got that. Should have acknowledged it at the first of the post. Apologies. I was just using it as more of a springboard to talk about why KK can't crack the lineup.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
There’s something about that first line that seems rather X-rated. Maybe it’s just my dirty mind.

Given that pronunciation and coo-coo, man, kid just never had a chance. The former name pronounciation goes in the same catagory as Alan Tudyk and Dick Assman. :(

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
That would be fine if this was his first season - but he's been around TB for a long time and some of those dmen have not.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

I'm not so sure that's a question at this point.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The attractive part of Honka is that he is a righty, other than that I don't know much about his current status

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tampa doesn't need to move him because he'd likely secure a roster spot next season. I assume they feels it's unfair to keep him out of action for 8 more months though so a trade is for the better good of the player.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Wasn't he highly regarded, what happened?
Never progressed and hasn't earned trust from any of his coaches in Dallas. Stars were missing half their defenseman this season and he still couldn't consistently crack the roster. Some will argue that he should have been given more opportunity but the fact remains that he got passed over for a 30 year old career AHLer. Personally I don't see the point of making a completely lateral move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad