Friedman: Tampa trying to find a new home for Slater Koekkoek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So what happened the past 4 years? He was stuck behind great dmen every year? Seems like such a convenient excuse.

And i'm sorry... but Brayden Coburn does not count as a "great" dman. Reliable and serviceable yes... great? **** no.

That's the exact type of defenseman a young middle of the road D would get stuck behind. Someone reliable enough to get the coach's trust for bottom 3 minutes over him

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd really like to see him get a chance elsewhere. He is an excellent skater and his offensive game is still in its infancy at the NHL level, yet still looks good. He plays like a player terrified to make a mistake right now, though that has subsided some because they have shown him that they'll bench him regardless of his play. Good attitude, hard worker, good teammate. I think he can still be an impact player at the NHL level but will likely need to go someplace with playing time and either strong structure or a good defensive coach.

This nails it.

Has Koekkoek looked good? Yes, particularly this year, in limited appearances.

Has he looked bad? Yes. Particularly last year.

But it never seems to matter. He's blocked either way, and he knows it.

I think the timing of this rumor comes down to TB's roster limitations. We've been sneakily IRing people who might not have actually had significant injuries for a while, to stay under 23 men. Miller looks ready to come back.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If Schmaltz wasn’t claimed on waivers for free, I find it hard to believe Koekkoek has any value or would even be claimed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad