Pre-Game Talk: Tampa @ Toronto - Thursday October 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Leafs are super skilled but when Hyman and Dermott come back they get a little bit tougher and tougher to play against.

I would not be opposed to trading a bit of skill at the deadline for a toughness upgrade. I think back to the Mike Johnson for Darcy Tucker trade many years ago. At the time Tucker wasn't as offensive as Johnson but he filled a hole that needed filling in the lineup.

Not sure what that trade looks like today.

You make a good point, we have a couple of skilled forwards that would fit the mold of a Johnson from years back. Those would be Kapanen and Johnsson. If you can deal them for a player of Tucker's ilk that would be fantastic.

The hope would be that it would be someone who is the same age as our players and on a lesser contract. Some players that come to mind are:

Jimmy Vesey (Buf)
Tyler Bertuzzi (Det)
Brendan Lemieux (NYR)
Sonny Milano (CLB)
Miles Wood (NJ)
Jordan Greenway (MIN)
Nick Ritchie (ANA)
Mark Jinakowski (CAL)
Alex Iafallo (LA)

Reactions: Marshy

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
You make a good point, we have a couple of skilled forwards that would fit the mold of a Johnson from years back. Those would be Kapanen and Johnsson. If you can deal them for a player of Tucker's ilk that would be fantastic.

The hope would be that it would be someone who is the same age as our players and on a lesser contract. Some players that come to mind are:

Jimmy Vesey (Buf)
Tyler Bertuzzi (Det)
Brendan Lemieux (NYR)
Sonny Milano (CLB)
Miles Wood (NJ)
Jordan Greenway (MIN)
Nick Ritchie (ANA)
Mark Jinakowski (CAL)
Alex Iafallo (LA)
Brendan Lemieux for years in toronto would kill suckas treal hard, I mean real hard. He got game and he understands the game like him daddy do. A real winner for years. Just what toronto needs. We need him real hard. Get him, no matter what happens.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I feel like this is an excuse. They are also probably top 5 in payroll so... time to win is now. Don't use that weak excuse if they lose in the 1st round again in April.
It's October dude, it matters we have a lot of internal changes. Who's talking about APRIL now? It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Top five in payroll? It's a cap world.

Nobody disputes we are in win now, including Amber.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Jimmy Vesey (Buf)
Tyler Bertuzzi (Det)
Brendan Lemieux (NYR)
Sonny Milano (CLB)
Miles Wood (NJ)
Jordan Greenway (MIN)
Nick Ritchie (ANA)
Mark Jinakowski (CAL)
Alex Iafallo (LA)

Great post. Of your list - Bertuzzi and Ritchie came to my mind as well. Some of the others I don't know as well but interesting to see they are a similar mold of player. I'll watch them more closely now.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I feel like this is an excuse. They are also probably top 5 in payroll so... time to win is now. Don't use that weak excuse if they lose in the 1st round again in April.
In actual real money, the leafs are spending over $110 million on their players this season. That’s with a cap of 81.5.

Then when you consider how much more the leafs spend on their front office and coaching stafff....

Yeah...

No more excuses.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I find the forward rotation situation a bit more interesting since a regular spot will still be available there once Hyman returns. That said, until Dermott returns, there's a spot on the blueline to be had. Between injury fill-ins and next contracts, there will always be something to play for.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Damn, never seen Stamkos sound so defeated and looks frustrated almost to the point like he's given up. Must've carried over from last season PO.

In case you encounter video playback, here's the direct link:

It's probably because they've won only 1 game out of their last 7 (4 of them were the playoffs).

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Yep Holl was excellent.
If he can keep that level up he is far better than Marincin.
Most importantly he has shown that he can PK too. Always seemed like that was a big selling point of having Marty in over him, if he wins that battle, or evens it out slightly he comes out ahead overall.

Reactions: ACC1224

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
So when are we gonna get a team on their 2nd game of a back to back?

Yes. When do we play Boston in their barn while we are resting comfortably watching them play on a Friday night and then have to travel back to Boston. Seems like it could happen!

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Shore rubbed me the wrong way in the Canadiens game. I was at the game, Marner got rubbed out hard after a PK by Petry, Shore did nothing other then give him a stick to the back of the legs. I was sitting right there, Petry was willing to drop the gloves. Shore turned away. This is what Shore is here for, the big bodied banger with some toughness. To me he lost his job on the 4th line. Petan and Spezza can do the same thing with more skill.
Not sure the Shore was ever meant to be a tough guy...that's never really been advertised as part of his game, and at 6'1" and 195 lbs, he's not exactly physically imposing. I'm pretty sure he was brought on to win faceoffs as a right shot, play the PK, and help drive possession and shot attempts against weaker competition, areas he has historically excelled in. Petan & Spezza certainly bring more offensive skill, but I think Shore isn't as much the physical alternative as he is the defensive minded alternative.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's just that it seems like some people are getting the excuses ready for April. I just don't buy it. Saying they are young doesn't do anything for me. It's a fact, sure, but doesn't mean anything.
Ya and especially with how the league has been for a while now, young teams have no excuse. Younger legs for them. They actually have an advantage over older teams. Come to play. Play to win!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
TBH the fourth line has looked good in all 4 games so far, even with the constant changes.

Nice to see those guys are battling for ice time. Would like to see that going forward. Nice to see that the Goat has almost tied his goal production from last year in just 4 games :sarcasm: :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's just that it seems like some people are getting the excuses ready for April. I just don't buy it. Saying they are young doesn't do anything for me. It's a fact, sure, but doesn't mean anything.

but that's my point. it's a fact. younger teams (as we've seen here in Toronto) have a harder time locking down a game. case in point the Leafs last year when they had a more veteran presence esp. on the back end barely had issues when they had a lead, going something insane like 29-0-1. now they have a few new faces, and a lot more rookies etc, so they're going to struggle to have the dominance they had a year ago. it will have to be something we'll have to be patient with them while they regain that back.

yeah they are expected to do extremely well (based on the vets). but i also think we have to be a touch patient with the team as a whole because of those factors.

Reactions: d3SIGIRL and slozo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad