Tampa: Swap Stamkos and Kucherov on/off the LTIR?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The CBA allows for all of these circumstances.
It is not the teams that are doing anything wrong.
Maybe, instead of a 5000 page CBA, they could simplify it and not give teams loopholes where they could avoid some of these tactics.

Or, just go to a soft cap + luxury tax system wherein teams that go over a certain number have to pay a penalty that is put back into HRR and therefore, artificially raising the cap itself.

Reactions: Morrison

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How convenient. Why have a salary cap if teams like Tampa Bay can use LTIR to clearly circumvent the cap? What happens next season when the Lightning cannot make trades to get under the cap? This season it was Kucherov that was conveniently injured for just the regular season; next year will it be Stamkos or Vasilevskii?

I mean I get what you're saying - but teams simply shouldn't be that good. You'll almost never see this again.

Can you imagine if Edmonton tried to do this with McDavid or Drai? No - because without McDavid or Drai they're bottom feeders and no playoffs.
Even a team as solid as Toronto - you remove Marner or Matthews - probably even Tavares who plays that critical 2C role - and they probably miss the playoffs.

The most ridiculous part here is that Tampa is able to still win the President's Trophy (which they will) without the player who swept all the awards a year ago.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I mean I get what you're saying - but teams simply shouldn't be that good. You'll almost never see this again.

Can you imagine if Edmonton tried to do this with McDavid or Drai? No - because without McDavid or Drai they're bottom feeders and no playoffs.
Even a team as solid as Toronto - you remove Marner or Matthews - probably even Tavares who plays that critical 2C role - and they probably miss the playoffs.

The most ridiculous part here is that Tampa is able to still win the President's Trophy (which they will) without the player who swept all the awards a year ago.

Tampa will be in a fight just to win their own division. Colorado is going to run away with the President's Trophy. They play LA + SJ for 8 of their remaining 13 games.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How convenient. Why have a salary cap if teams like Tampa Bay can use LTIR to clearly circumvent the cap? What happens next season when the Lightning cannot make trades to get under the cap? This season it was Kucherov that was conveniently injured for just the regular season; next year will it be Stamkos or Vasilevskii?
What a solid strategy. Sit out your best player for the entire season just to bring him back cold for the playoffs.

f***ing bold.

I hope Edmonton IS watching. 12.5 million free cap next year boys.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
For those criticizing Tampa, do you genuinely believe Kucherov is healthy enough to play and that Tampa is just holding him off until the playoffs to circumvent the cap?

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
How many threads on this does there need to be? Yes we’re obviously cheating by purposely injuring our best players. Next they’re going to tear Hedman’s groin so Stamkos can come back.
sure is convenient how he shows up to practice the moment cap space clears. i personally think they are playing the system and Kuch has been able to play for quite some time now. we'll likely never know and suffer HF speculation for the remainder of the season and onward.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I don't like what Tampa is doing, but they haven't broken any rules. Kucherov's injury was a convenient way to push their cap problem a year, but this offseason will be interesting.

With their current contracts signed for next season, they're $3.5mil over the cap with a roster of just 14 players. Getting Seattle to take Johnson gets them cap-compliant, with enough space to sign two league minimum deals, so up to 15 players. Some team will probably take a 1st to take Killorn, which frees up space for 6 more league minimum deals, so there's a roster of 19. From there, I don't know what they do. Gourde would be a nice contract to move, but he has an NTC. What ever happens, Tampa will be a pretty top heavy team after this season.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You guys are making a big to do about nothing.
They don't have enough in the ltir relief pool to "activate" Kucherov, even if he was healthy, with Stamkos on ltir.

Seguin had the same surgery as Kucherov and he's been practicing with the Stars but still not cleared to play.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
yes, if he is healthy enough to practice then he is healthy enough to play.
Cool, well, he isn't practicing, has only done a couple of rehab skates so i'm glad you cleared this up.
Fake cup for a Fake cap team

Fitting
God those names look so pretty etched into that sterling silver. You should see it up close, its beautiful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad