Post-Game Talk: Tampa gonna Tampa, 5-2 loss to the 2019 Cup Champs?

Can the Cats keep the fun going?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

Attachments

• B8B1D9F5-7AA6-497A-A8A9-6BBEA4F5690D.gif
    B8B1D9F5-7AA6-497A-A8A9-6BBEA4F5690D.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I was at the game, paid attention to as much as I could. Here’s my opinion, I understand that there’s gonna be people disagreeing, but like they say, I gotta call it like I see it.

I’ll get this out of the way - Reimer sucked. Lu wasn’t that much better, can’t blame him for the two goals really but he was shaky. But Reimer could have kept us in the game if he’d played well.

Beyond that, the SOG doesn’t tell most of the story. Tampa was absolutely dominant. Only the second period they weren’t, but it wasn’t as lopsided as the shots would imply. Really.

How could this be? Because Tampa has really got everyone understanding and playing the same system. Some say there’s no such thing as a “system” - but there most definitely is. A “system” in hockey basically means, what do people without the puck do?

Tampa does this. They are always moving and skating, even (and especially) if you beat them. Puck in their zone along the boards? They play either along the boards or somone gets close a bit off the boards so it’s an easy chip pass. As soon as that is done, and puck possession is theirs, the wingers take off - and there they seem to adhere to three options. Along the boards if open. Through the center if that’s open. Or along the own blue line if that’s left open. Usually that works, and they don’t pass across the goal mouth, and they don’t pass through the center of their zone.

Once they go through the neutral zone, they rarely dump the puck (only when going for a change or if really challenged). They do chips off the boards at the blue line and the other offense goes to get the puck, drawing the D with them, possibly leaving the guy who chipped it open. They’re always looking for positions, and at every stage their system seems to have two or three options. The players without the puck know the options and it shows. Their passing in the o-zone is masterful.

The players aren’t really better skilled than panthers, but they’re 1) working harder, always skating, and 2) all are fast, their focus has been speed with enough skill and strength.

Tonight we had none of that. Tampa’s forecheck was able to disrupt us a lot. Having said that, I think Tampa’s weakness is the same thing as their strength - a solid system. They can be beat by a team who forces them to do stuff they don’t normally do, and to improvise. Then they’ll be a regular skilled team.

I don’t think we would have won tonight with a different goalie. Tampa was toying with us most of the game - Reimer just made it easier for them than was necessary.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
After tonight, I’m sold that IF the owners and DT really want a great team like Tampa, it’s doable.

Get Bob and get Panarin and get Manson. Or two of the three (Bob plus one).

Make sure Boughner understands what needs to be done coaching wise. How to get Tro to buy in. How to get the third and fourth lines to learn, buy in. How to get players to condition properly over the summer. Serious business.

If they want it, they can have it. Nothing we can do about it, but I’m interested to see what they end up doing. They have the core. Do they want it bad enough? We’ll find out next season.

23YearsandCounting

Oct 11, 2018
After tonight, I’m sold that IF the owners and DT really want a great team like Tampa, it’s doable.

Get Bob and get Panarin and get Manson. Or two of the three (Bob plus one).

Make sure Boughner understands what needs to be done coaching wise. How to get Tro to buy in. How to get the third and fourth lines to learn, buy in. How to get players to condition properly over the summer. Serious business.

If they want it, they can have it. Nothing we can do about it, but I’m interested to see what they end up doing. They have the core. Do they want it bad enough? We’ll find out next season.

Watching this disgraceful organization for almost 3 decades I’m confident they won’t get any of those players and they won’t add to the core because they simply don’t know what it takes to build a hockey team that can consistently make the playoffs.

At this point that’s what their goal needs to be. Build a team that makes the playoffs. Like I posted earlier our entire core has no more than 6 playoff games each under their belt. They need to chAnge the losing culture here. That’s how you start to build a winner. It doesn’t happen over night. I have zero confidence this ownership group will get it done. It’s sad.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I was at the game, paid attention to as much as I could. Here’s my opinion, I understand that there’s gonna be people disagreeing, but like they say, I gotta call it like I see it.

I’ll get this out of the way - Reimer sucked. Lu wasn’t that much better, can’t blame him for the two goals really but he was shaky. But Reimer could have kept us in the game if he’d played well.

Beyond that, the SOG doesn’t tell most of the story. Tampa was absolutely dominant. Only the second period they weren’t, but it wasn’t as lopsided as the shots would imply. Really.

How could this be? Because Tampa has really got everyone understanding and playing the same system. Some say there’s no such thing as a “system” - but there most definitely is. A “system” in hockey basically means, what do people without the puck do?

Tampa does this. They are always moving and skating, even (and especially) if you beat them. Puck in their zone along the boards? They play either along the boards or somone gets close a bit off the boards so it’s an easy chip pass. As soon as that is done, and puck possession is theirs, the wingers take off - and there they seem to adhere to three options. Along the boards if open. Through the center if that’s open. Or along the own blue line if that’s left open. Usually that works, and they don’t pass across the goal mouth, and they don’t pass through the center of their zone.

Once they go through the neutral zone, they rarely dump the puck (only when going for a change or if really challenged). They do chips off the boards at the blue line and the other offense goes to get the puck, drawing the D with them, possibly leaving the guy who chipped it open. They’re always looking for positions, and at every stage their system seems to have two or three options. The players without the puck know the options and it shows. Their passing in the o-zone is masterful.

The players aren’t really better skilled than panthers, but they’re 1) working harder, always skating, and 2) all are fast, their focus has been speed with enough skill and strength.

Tonight we had none of that. Tampa’s forecheck was able to disrupt us a lot. Having said that, I think Tampa’s weakness is the same thing as their strength - a solid system. They can be beat by a team who forces them to do stuff they don’t normally do, and to improvise. Then they’ll be a regular skilled team.

I don’t think we would have won tonight with a different goalie. Tampa was toying with us most of the game - Reimer just made it easier for them than was necessary.
Tampa has the best roster we’ve ever seen in the cap era. They do play to a system well, but they are that much better than us.

Their third line has Miller and Johnson on it. Ours is a revolving door of young guys and scrubs.

A better example of teams playing to a system is Montreal and the Islanders.

Tampa is much better than we are on paper and off of it.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

Exactly the way I saw it too, Tampa played a typical road game on a back-to-back. The lack of SOG on their part is meaningless when they have the lead the entire game, the rest is all puck management/killing the clock and waiting to pounce on opportunities when the Panthers take chances in the offensive zone.

Our goalies didn't play well, but h0w many times was Tampa staring at a wide open cage with no one around? That's not a goalie issue, it's bad coverage, but that's to be expected with Tampa's skill/speed. I think the Tampa players couldn't believe how much time and space they were given in front of our net.

Reactions: KW

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Lightning traveled 250 miles

Panthers traveled 1,000 miles

But let's ignore that and clamor to give the guy with the 2.98, 0.901 an 8-yr, cap-crippling contract.

Yet no talk of the complete silence from all the big guns tonight (Tro, Bark, Dad, Hoff, Hub)

Still have 7-9 losses to spare before being mathematically eliminated.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Exactly the way I saw it too, Tampa played a typical road game on a back-to-back. The lack of SOG on their part is meaningless when they have the lead the entire game, the rest is all puck management/killing the clock and waiting to pounce on opportunities when the Panthers take chances in the offensive zone.

Our goalies didn't play well, but h0w many times was Tampa staring at a wide open cage with no one around? That's not a goalie issue, it's bad coverage, but that's to be expected with Tampa's skill/speed. I think the Tampa players couldn't believe how much time and space they were given in front of our net.
U have it backwards. When the goalies constantly give up soft goals From non scoring areas the rest is meaningless. Can’t play quality hockey in
Front of goaltending Like that. After what happened in second I don’t put one ounce of blame on any of the skaters. It’s mentally and physically impossible to overcome it game after game consistently. Especially against elite teams
Like they have been

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Anyone else notice that Barkov and Dadonov haven’t really been on the same page lately? Chemistry doesn’t really seem to be there anymore, maybe time to break them up?

Hoffman-Barkov-Vatrano
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Dadonov

Is what I’d like to see. We haven’t had a single line really click in awhile. Maybe even flip Hoffman and Huby, either way.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
U have it backwards. When the goalies constantly give up soft goals From non scoring areas the rest is meaningless. Can’t play quality hockey in
Front of goaltending Like that. After what happened in second I don’t put one ounce of blame on any of the skaters. It’s mentally and physically impossible to overcome it game after game consistently. Especially against elite teams
Like they have been
This is true too.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Need a top 6 RW, top 4 rd, and #1 goalie. Have between now and July 1st to make it happen. If not, Tallon should be fired. No excuses.
They don't really need a top 6 wing, if they sign Panarin they should definitely flip Hoffman for a dman. I'm confident Bobrovsky is a done deal so not too concerned there.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I just really hope that if we get him, Bobrovski will be as good as most of you think he'll be. If we have to overpay in FA for a top10 starter, okay, but he better be that top10 starter.
If we sign Bob for 8x10 and this season isn't just an outlier, we're screwed big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad