Post-Game Talk: Tampa gonna Tampa, 5-2 loss to the 2019 Cup Champs?

Can the Cats keep the fun going?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
This team is so boring to watch, even when they win.

On paper, we seem to have talent. On the ice, we always look slow and no one stand out. Our best players are invisible most of the time.

So many times I'm asking myself while watching games "Is Barkov playing tonight?"

Bigger problem than our goaltending, is the losing culture that needs to change. No one on this team knows what it takes to win at the NHL level. That why they're so lost at times and are fragile

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

On paper, we seem to have talent. On the ice, we always look slow and no one stand out. Our best players are invisible most of the time.

So many times I'm asking myself while watching games "Is Barkov playing tonight?"

Bigger problem than our goaltending, is the losing culture that needs to change. No one on this team knows what it takes to win at the NHL level. That why they're so lost at times and are fragile

It's hard to stand out when you're playing against the best team by far in the league. There's guys like Stralman and McDoughnut taking away time and space with a fairly good success rate and out forwards aren't really equipped to counter that challenge. There's really no substantial amount of creativity in their game: rushes into the o-zone or dump&chase, guys aren't putting themselves into positions to receive passes, etc just looking around if someone going to put this team on their back and then they might participate in the game. This is season is already in the books for the Cats and it's more about going through the motions and hoping if guys like Borg show any flashes of creativity.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

None of our stars ever take over games alone. We need that superstar

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

100% disagree. I think we are quite fun to watch. Do we have a McDavid, Datsyuk or anyone flashy like that, not really. Maybe not as of recent, but it sure did seem to me we had quite a lot of odd man rushes both ways and some exciting hockey. Yes we are not winning, however it is still fun to watch at least in my opinion.

I do agree that Barkov has been very quite lately and has not made any tTop10 highlight moment goals, but I am OK with that, but I would like to see him get a little more physical.

What I would like to to see more and continue this physical play, I hate when our team gets passive and does not finish checks. Huge credit to Brouwer and Haley on this one. Lets get Kis back in with these 2.

Last edited:

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
He’s a rookie and he most certainly has showed flashes of brilliance. He needs to bulk up. It’s killing him.

Killing him, he needs to gain some more confidence that he will have protection if he makes a big hit or gets physical. Almost like he just needs to break the ice get hit good and get it over with. Excited to see when he comes back next year with more confidence and 10 more lbs....

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
And, for an instance, this is discussed only because of goat lending.
Not really.

I wanted the trade done last year. I am not as high as Borgstrom as others are...certainly not enough to an untouchable for a McDonagh. It just made it worse than Tampa got him.

We were unable to improve while helping a division rival to improve.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Not really.

I wanted the trade done last year. I am not as high as Borgstrom as others are...certainly not enough to an untouchable for a McDonagh. It just made it worse than Tampa got him.

We were unable to improve while helping a division rival to improve.

I hear you and somewhat agree, but we are also comparing McDonaghs success w/ Tampa vs Borgs with our current situation......

We very well could be saying F*** cant believe we traded Borg and X for McDonaghs. He has not lived up to his reputation...

I still think before any huge trades are made we need to make some staffing changes.

Defense coach should be gone already.....
Debatable about head coach but I think he goes as well. Just does not seem to be able to get the players in the right mode, aside from the lines being established before the game it does not seem like much in game adjustments are made..

Could be me just talking out of my ***

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I hear you and somewhat agree, but we are also comparing McDonaghs success w/ Tampa vs Borgs with our current situation......

We very well could be saying F*** cant believe we traded Borg and X for McDonaghs. He has not lived up to his reputation...

I still think before any huge trades are made we need to make some staffing changes.

Defense coach should be gone already.....
Debatable about head coach but I think he goes as well. Just does not seem to be able to get the players in the right mode, aside from the lines being established before the game it does not seem like much in game adjustments are made..

Could be me just talking out of my ***

I am not comparing McDonagh to his success in Tampa though. We dont need to do that.

McDonagh was plenty successful in New York. We know who he is and the caliber of player he is.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I am not comparing McDonagh to his success in Tampa though. We dont need to do that.

McDonagh was plenty successful in New York. We know who he is and the caliber of player he is.
The thing is players like McDonough take a crap with their style of play really quick. He’d probably be good for 2-3 years and then the fall comes.

Reactions: KW

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The thing is players like McDonough take a crap with their style of play really quick. He’d probably be good for 2-3 years and then the fall comes.
Meaning we would have gotten him for this year, plus 3....for a total of 4 years.

And no, McDonagh doesnt rely on incredible speed and athleticism or a heavy game. He is just good in my opinion.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
We also had all free agency/offseason to shore up our defense and it wasn't done. We got Kis who's been decent enough but we don't even want to play him for some reason.

Looking back on the McDonagh trade and thinking "what if" isn't gonna help us now. Look at the team he went to, the all-powerful Lightning. We aren't a McDonagh way from winning a Stanley Cup like Tampa was at the time. We're a McDonagh, Bob/Quick, and Quenneville away from a Cup.

Either way, this franchise needs to shape up and stop getting in it's own way.

Reactions: KW

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
We also had all free agency/offseason to shore up our defense and it wasn't done. We got Kis who's been decent enough but we don't even want to play him for some reason.

Looking back on the McDonagh trade and thinking "what if" isn't gonna help us now. Look at the team he went to, the all-powerful Lightning. We aren't a McDonagh way from winning a Stanley Cup like Tampa was at the time. We're a McDonagh, Bob/Quick, and Quenneville away from a Cup.

Either way, this franchise needs to shape up and stop getting in it's own way.
Again for the millionth time kis had some
Personal problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad