Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay @ Washington...again... Wilson's Revenge 7:07 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think we all agree on this, Williams has the highest hockey intelligence on this team. He's a dream veteran.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Guys...

It's not Oshie, it's Williams. Maybe it's in my head, but I've been seeing it all season long. He's teaching them how to be *******s. I mean it in the best possible way, but he's everything old school. Every mental advantage, he's the guy.

He loses his cool a little bit, but goads Blunden into drawing even. He watches the whole Hedman-Kuznetsov exchange and when it looks like he's skating up to help Kuznetsov throw, instead he's hooking him back into the play and keeping Kuznetsov out of a fracas because the first thing that dude did was see if the ref's arm went up, and he just knows better. A few times tonight he was directly responsible for keeping momentum in the Caps' favor by doing nothing but playing the game within the game.

That guy must be an incredible talker. Ruffles feathers every game, but sweet talks the refs. Knows every sneaky little stick trick and "grey area" play in the book, but NEVER gets tagged for them (outside of a little grease with the goalies). From a skill standpoint maybe Oshie "stirs the drink", but if you were to ask me why this team is doing so well, I'd say it's because the forwards have a player coach in Williams like the defense does in Orpik. Having him in their corner is giving them a natural swagger.

I saw that too. I agree I think Williams is doing alot of things with this team we don't see on the stat sheet or in the highlights.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think we all agree on this, Williams has the highest hockey intelligence on this team. He's a dream veteran.

Agree on, sure, but appreciate enough, I don't think so. Hockey IQ encompasses a lot of things to me, but this is more gamesmanship. :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Best 3rd period DVR in a long time. The little tyke enjoyed it oh and the 4 girls after every goal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think what I like so much about this team is they strike me as the land of misfit toys. Ovie was washed up and an albatross two years ago. Backy is perennially underrated. Oshie was the cause for the Blues not reaching their potential. Kuzya was another Russian with talent but not the heart to play in the NHL. Williams is the cagey veteran. Wilson is a bust of a 1st round pick and nothing but a plug/goon. Laich is an overpaid penalty killer. Latta was the afterthought in the worst trade in franchise history. We did the Pens a favor by signing Nisky and Orpik. Carlson and Alzner aren't top 4 defensemen on a Cup team. Holtby is no where near an elite goalie. And so on. These guys care about each other and they're scrappy as hell.

Also, the player I covet most on the Lighting isn't Stakmos. It's not Hedman. Not Bishop. It is Nikita Kucherov. That dude is unreal. Can you imagine him on Kuzya's wing??

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Kucherov might be an even bigger steal than Kuznetsov, drafted 58th overall in 2011.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Russian factor, when an easy top 10 talent is picked 58th and the most skilled player in the year goes undrafted ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯

I think what I like so much about this team is they strike me as the land of misfit toys.
We're definitely not a glamourous team like we were in 2008-10.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree the Niskanen hit will get a review, but I don't know if anything will come of it. Head looks like one of the primary points of contact but was he targeting, and did Brown put himself in that position? If Tom Wilson makes that hit the world explodes.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Guys...

It's not Oshie, it's Williams. Maybe it's in my head, but I've been seeing it all season long. He's teaching them how to be *******s. I mean it in the best possible way, but he's everything old school. Every mental advantage, he's the guy.

He loses his cool a little bit, but goads Blunden into drawing even. He watches the whole Hedman-Kuznetsov exchange and when it looks like he's skating up to help Kuznetsov throw, instead he's hooking him back into the play and keeping Kuznetsov out of a fracas because the first thing that dude did was see if the ref's arm went up, and he just knows better. A few times tonight he was directly responsible for keeping momentum in the Caps' favor by doing nothing but playing the game within the game.

That guy must be an incredible talker. Ruffles feathers every game, but sweet talks the refs. Knows every sneaky little stick trick and "grey area" play in the book, but NEVER gets tagged for them (outside of a little grease with the goalies). From a skill standpoint maybe Oshie "stirs the drink", but if you were to ask me why this team is doing so well, I'd say it's because the forwards have a player coach in Williams like the defense does in Orpik. Having him in their corner is giving them a natural swagger.
Oh, I saw that with Williams and Kuzy too. Kuzy started to go after Hedman and likely would have drawn a matching penalty and Williams nipped that in the bud and calmed Kuzy down with a smile. You're absolutely right. I don't watch Western teams very much, but a few years ago I watched the final game of the SCF when the Kings won and I really liked Justin Williams, so when he was signed to our team in this off season, I was thrilled... based off just ONE GAME. He was that impressive.

And I'm with you, I've been watching him every game and he does so many small, little things so very right. He is freaking amazing! After Holts and (at this point it's kinda getting maybe) Ovi, Williams is my favorite Caps player. (He's also pretty awesome by all accounts off-ice too.)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
In their new and/or increased roles, Williams, Oshie and Kuz all bring a much, much higher level of awareness on the ice compared to some guys we lost. Ward, Fehr and Brouwer were grindy guys with a bit of skill now and then, but they were very simple in their approach to the game. See puck, chase puck, go to net, get back on defense, move puck up the boards, repeat. There wasn't the same anticipation and layered knowledge there (not to mention the much higher skill level).

Having Kuz and Williams on the same line with Mojo has opened things up for the latter, imo-- not just in raw ice created by the possession game but by allowing Mojo to see what the others are doing and become a part of it. Brouwer on the RW there didn't have that element for the aforementioned reasons. It was the Kuz show. Mojo up top with Backstrom and Ovie meant Mojo was usually just trying to find somewhere on the ice to be while those two did their thing, which was mostly opportunism unless Ovechkin was in bull-mode.

This is an interesting problem to have. IF this 2nd line continues to click you have to consider keeping Mojo after this season, at least for another year until you figure out where Oshie and Williams will be when their deals run out. But I don't know if another 1 year deal is in play.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Missed the game due to **** FIOS equipment failure. Besides the come back, how did Willy play after getting the boot in the OTT game? No affect on his play or was he tentative to hit someone?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Missed the game due to **** FIOS equipment failure. Besides the come back, how did Willy play after getting the boot in the OTT game? No affect on his play or was he tentative to hit someone?

He was skating around and defending a lot. Didn't play very physical but the opportunity to truck someone didn't present itself.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Obviously you'd expect them not to keep up this pace, but here's a stat: The Capitals are on pace for 61 wins; the most wins in a season in NHL history is 62.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Guys...

It's not Oshie, it's Williams. ....

damn good post and likely spot on. I would like to think Ward had a similar effect....

But Oshie increases the teams overall skill level - rather noticeably, and I think that, more than vet leadership and mentoring, is what this team has lacked.

We had a bunch of lackeys at RW.... and it has been holding us back from competing with the high skill teams of the league. We have wave after wave of PMRHD moving pucks up to... dump and chasers at RW. Its damn nice seeing us trying to score off the rush.

And JW does of course help in that dept as well.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Guys...

damn good post and likely spot on. I would like to think Ward had a similar effect....

But Oshie increases the teams overall skill level - rather noticeably, and I think that, more than vet leadership and mentoring, is what this team has lacked.

We had a bunch of lackeys at RW.... and it has been holding us back from competing with the high skill teams of the league. We have wave after wave of PMRHD moving pucks up to... dump and chasers at RW. Its damn nice seeing us trying to score off the rush.

And JW does of course help in that dept as well.

I love what JW and Oshie have brought to the table and JW will continue to impart his wisdom to the younge players but the unspoken MVP is GMBM. In two off seasons he brought in a proven coach and 4 FIXES (Niskannen, Orpik, Williams and Oshie) to glaring weaknesses that McPhee never did anything more than a band aid. I have no belief Mcphee would have made these moves let alone fixed the problems.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik brought the group a certain mental approach and attitude last season. Williams brings similar in some different areas.

The team balance of aging vets, prime career players and young players is really strong. Holtby, Schmidt, Orlov, Burakovsky, Wilson, Kuznetsov, Latta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad