Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay @ Toronto | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Marner will not make it to game 10.

Babcock will have lost a lot of fan support at end of season.

Andersen will be run out of town.

Rielly will have lost a lot of fan support at end of season.

Gardiner will be looked on as a joke and trade bait.

JvR will be viewed as lazy with no compete.

Leafs will be drafting top 3.

Weird post, well not if you like being wrong but..

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Marner will not make it to game 10.

I disagree. He's doing fine. He's only 19 and has room to grow. Junior will not benefit him any longer.

Babcock will have lost a lot of fan support at end of season.

Good riddance. Too many fans crawling out of the woodwork this year, for my liking. Let them crawl back in. The only fans that really matter are the ones that actually understand what's going on with this team. These types are not needed and should just come back when it becomes "cool" again. Just like most Jay/Raptor fans.

Andersen will be run out of town.

While this may be a possibility, he's only played 5 games. There is still lots of hockey to play.

Rielly will have lost a lot of fan support at end of season.

Again, good riddance.

Gardiner will be looked on as a joke and trade bait.

I'm not sure why but, oh well. He's the new Kadri and all we hear are crickets from his detractors this year. Jake is fine. Plus, 95% of the players on this team are possible trade bait.

JvR will be viewed as lazy with no compete.

I'm pretty sure he's viewed this way already.

Leafs will be drafting top 3.

Considering they aren't winning the cup and not really expected to make the playoffs, this is a very good thing. Hopefully it's top 2.

IMO, I think you joined this forum a bit too early. I'm thinking you have unreasonable expectations for this team and thought they would be Stanley Cup contenders, or something. You can't handle the rebuild. Wait a year or two and come back when they are better. Just like all the other "diehard" fans. :laugh:

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
So I just got home, anyone care to do a quick recap of the game for me?

I see we outshot them quite a bit, did we outplay them? Was Andersen as bad as the stats show? Did Hunwick deserve the -3? I glad to see Matthews and Nylander continuing to dominate offensively but did they play well all game?

:popcorn:

Defense was atrocious. Allowed Lightning behind them/alone in front repeatedly. Andersen needs to play a little better, but we need to play much better in front of him.
Terrible.
On the flip side, the young guys look good when creating chances. I think it will all come together, just needs time.

RootinTootinPookin*

I disagree. He's doing fine. He's only 19 and has room to grow. Junior will not benefit him any longer.

Agreed. I predicted 40-45 points from him and I'm comfortable keeping that prediction.

Good riddance. Too many fans crawling out of the woodwork this year, for my liking. Let them crawl back in. The only fans that really matter are the ones that actually understand what's going on with this team. These types are not needed and should just come back when it becomes "cool" again. Just like most Jay/Raptor fans.

I meant you'll start to hear more criticism of him. His aura of 'god like' will be gone. When Babcock came here it was like the messiah returned. Last year the fanbase was in awe of him. I'm betting after this year, there is actual criticism and a lot of it. Doesn't matter if it is legit or not (Does it ever matter?)

While this may be a possibility, he's only played 5 games. There is still lots of hockey to play.

You've seen the defense. No way Andersen has a great season behind these guys. He'd be lucky to be at .915 at end of season. Right now Andersen is a struggling goalie playing behind a putrid defense and on a team with horrible overall team defense.

Which is a recipe for what you are seeing and imo, will continue to see for awhile yet. He needs to D (Both D and F) to tighten up a lot to help carry him out of this, but I don't see it happening.

And he's going to take the brunt of the blame because this fan base is not comfortable criticizing Riles, Gardiner, etc.

Again, good riddance.

Agreed. Fans shouldn't allow bias to cloud their judgments, as hard as that is. "Golden players" shouldn't exist outside of maybe their rookie seasons, where criticism should be more tempered and even keeled.

I'm not sure why but, oh well. He's the new Kadri and all we hear are crickets from his detractors this year. Jake is fine. Plus, 95% of the players on this team are possible trade bait.

I think he's putrid defensively. I think he plays with his mindset 90% set on offense and this makes him a liability on the defensive side of the puck. I also feel he has a lazy tendency defensively. He's a high risk/high reward player.

I'm pretty sure he's viewed this way already.

I thought the fan base loved him. His play so far as been uninspired. If it continues to affect Marner, he'll become a scapegoat.

Considering they aren't winning the cup and not really expected to make the playoffs, this is a very good thing. Hopefully it's top 2.

Zero interest in an Edmonton model. They kept losing and their prospects never amounted to much and the rebuild stretched on and on and on. Now highly touted protests at one point (Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Nuge, etc.) are either not on the team, never reached their potential, and don't know what it's like to win. They only started turning it around with McDavid, and hopefully this year is the year for them.

I don't want to waste the potential of Marner, Nylander, Matthews etc. We've already lost the potential of Kadri.

IMO, I think you joined this forum a bit too early. I'm thinking you have unreasonable expectations for this team and thought they would be Stanley Cup contenders, or something. You can't handle the rebuild. Wait a year or two and come back when they are better. Just like all the other "diehard" fans. :laugh:

My expectations? You want to know them?

A 10 to 15 point jump for the team. Better showings defensively, offensively and goaltending. So all around improvement, but not enough to even sniff the playoffs, but enough to know progress is being made and we are steadily improving in all facets of the game.

Matthews hitting 50 to 55. Nylander hitting 55 to 65. Marner hitting 40 to 45.

Matthews showing his two-way play. Marner showing his two-way play and his ability to take away the puck.

Rielly stepping up and establishing himself as a 2 Way, legit P1 Defenseman. 40 to 45 Points.

That's the only expectations I have this year.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
This is where it all goes wrong. I don't agree with all these judgements, but it doesn't even matter.

It's not about breaking down how many of the goals was his fault, it's about how much he is letting in in general.

Bishop had even more big chances against him in the other end of the ice and managed to make the key saves.

It might be a good shot by Stamkos, Drouin and the others, but no matter how good the shots are, we still expect a goalie to perform better. Make some of the same saves as Bishop and lesser goalies. It's not like he is getting breakaways and 2-on-1's against him numerous times each game, he just doesn't make nearly enough real saves so far.

I'm still giving him much more patience, but I just don't agree at all with this way of breaking it down.

:laugh:... Its not about letting in goals in general... its about assessing quality of chances and stopping the pucks you'd expect him to stop.

Last night, there were 2 goals of 7 that you should expect a goaltender to stop. Even then, better defensive coverage would likely have prevented these goals. He was left out to dry on five goals. Not exactly easy to build confidence when you're defense lays an egg in front of you all game.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Good riddance. Too many fans crawling out of the woodwork this year, for my liking. Let them crawl back in.

It feels like a busload of meatheads invaded the forum this year.

ishot-270.jpg

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
:laugh:... Its not about letting in goals in general... its about assessing quality of chances and stopping the pucks you'd expect him to stop.

Last night, there were 2 goals of 7 that you should expect a goaltender to stop. Even then, better defensive coverage would likely have prevented these goals. He was left out to dry on five goals. Not exactly easy to build confidence when you're defense lays an egg in front of you all game.

True but Tampa handed the Leafs great chances too with unforced giveaways--leading to Leafs goals.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Feel bad for marner. You could tell Fiplulla or whoever it was was milking him bleeding

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
lindholm or trouba would look so good in leaf uniforms right now

the cost would look horrible on the leafs right now. I am not into trading any of the big 3 for a dman. Definitely not Trouba and i think lindholm would be Marner+ or Nylander+ and no thanks to that

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
NHL teams with 6 rookies in its lineup struggles.

Not every move the GM makes will be golden. Leafs' amateur scouting seems to have really improved. The jury is still out on its pro scouting.

The media in any city runs with a story. They aren't fans of the team. They have no obligation to make things easy for the team.

Rebuilding NHL teams carry veteran players on its roster who aren't that good.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
JVR and Bozak need to be separated. I been saying this alot in this forum, but Babcock just doesn't hear me. Until that happens, the Leafs will have a line that bleeds goals. Marner can only do so much. Carrick should be paired with Gardiner, plain and simple. I liked Zaitsev and Reilly alot. Kadri line looked great. Leafs actually managed a good comeback. Anderson had a very leaky goal. The others really weren't his fault. Several passes off skates that ended ended up on the Lightnings sticks. Bad defensive coverage was the lesson of the day. Babcock will turn it around, but for the 100th time, separate Bozak and JVR!!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Took 3 others with me last night and we all were asking by the end "what does Matt Martin bring?"

After going down early they needed someone to get them going, no one stepped up.

Funny observation, older couple in front of us both had Clarkson shirts on....that was a first.

swint

Nov 16, 2014
No JVR at practice, but there's a guy out there by the name of Lindholm..? Hm never heard of him.

:sarcasm:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Or maybe Corrado is just not good.

In every viewing I had had of him, I think Marincin is better, and thats not saying much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad