Speculation: Tampa Bay / Los Angeles

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Tampa Bay was apparently scouting Alec Martinez at the Kings-Canes game and guess who got the only goal and game-winner... Alec Martinez. You can't script it any better.

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Are you sure it was Alec Martinez?

That’s what most people assume, which of course somehow gets translated into being a known fact. To my knowledge nobody outside of the organization really knows anything about who they’re looking at.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Let's just put it this way.... Other than prospects the only guys we can move are Point (not gonna happen) and Miller (before his NTC kicks in) and based on tradable assets we aren't exactly gonna scout the Kings for guys on their bench either ya know? Not unless we're gonna go trade guys like Paquette and Cirelli for seemingly no reason.

Martinez is an assumed name but it's one of few that makes sense for Lightning -especially with 3 UFA defensemen next year

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa Bay was apparently scouting Alec Martinez at the Kings-Canes game and guess who got the only goal and game-winner... Alec Martinez. You can't script it any better.

How does anyone know who we were scouting? Martinez doesn't make much sense for us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
BTW is it certain that Tampa had scouts at the Kings game? If so then both sides seem to be talking their time on this

There's definitely smoke here. It's getting reported all over the place that we have multiple scouts at Kings games, and Pat Verbeek has gone in person to at least one. It's just a question of what we're doing. I'm wondering if it's a smaller deal, like maybe Forbert?

Obviously it's not Kovalchuk. Nobody really makes sense, really. Neither team can take on money. TB can only take on rentals, and it's not like we'd have to extensively scout Nate Thompson.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I read on Twitter that there was a scout at the Kings AHL team last night, may be a roster play from us going to them and we getting prospect back. If not then Martinez makes a lot of sense for us. As other people have said most likely nothing into it.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I read on Twitter that there was a scout at the Kings AHL team last night, may be a roster play from us going to them and we getting prospect back.

If that’s the case the trade almost certainly won’t happen until the summer. There’s not a roster player on our team who a) we’d be happy to ship off without receiving something in return that immediately strengthens our NHL roster for this season/postseason, b) doesn’t have an NTC that would allow him to block a trade to LA, and c) was playing in the games that the Kings’ scouts were at.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There's definitely smoke here. It's getting reported all over the place that we have multiple scouts at Kings games, and Pat Verbeek has gone in person to at least one. It's just a question of what we're doing. I'm wondering if it's a smaller deal, like maybe Forbert?

Obviously it's not Kovalchuk. Nobody really makes sense, really. Neither team can take on money. TB can only take on rentals, and it's not like we'd have to extensively scout Nate Thompson.

I look at it like this.

-Point's due for a raise so that alone is gonna force some kind of a move
-Stralman ($4.5 million AAV) Girardi (3 million AAV) Coburn (3.7 million AAV) are all UFA's.
-Miller's probably our best "movable" asset in that his NTC starts next summer and we can deal him wherever we want. This is likely in response to Point's incoming raise.
-Callahan has 1 year left on his deal after this season

-The Kings can likely move Taffoli ($4.6 million AAV x 2 years) and/or (perhaps more likely) Hagelin ($3.7 million AAV) rumor has it that Taffoli was of interest to some teams
-The Kings can likely move Martnez and/or Muzzin (both signed x $4 million AAV)
-Kovalchuk can go on LTIR at least temporarily and something tells me he's not gonna stay with LA much longer. I agree that we're not likely to take him but I think it's also unlikely that something isn't done soon about him.
-The Kings are treading lightly on the cap right now and will have to make a move(s) soon.

Lastly... the situation is made easier if a 3rd team helps facilitate the trade. Who? Who knows? It's possible either JBB or Robitaille will call in a favor. The good news for LA is that they are more readily able to clear cap space than Tampa via trades and they've got some guys teams are actually going to want. Get a few deals done and you're out of cap hell with (possibly??) Miller's new deal in tow no problem. I can't imagine they'd part with a good roster player like that without wanting a versatile forward in return considering how many forwards they already stand to lose.

The Lightning are more likely to take care of things in the offseason. At worst we can give these rumors credence based on games being scouted and by the idea of the Lightning invoking a contingency plan for their defense. I for one don't know how we're gonna bring back all our UFA's. I also don't see how we'd readily walk away from Stralman in particular. It seems like "the Lightning thing to do" to cover our bases now with a guy like Muzzin/Martinez who is arguably better than Corbun/Girardi to begin with and then pitch our best offer to him seeing as the guy we traded for in Muzzin/Miller already makes less money than Stralman did.

But at the end of the day who knows? If the Kings scout us again tonight then there's gotta be something going on. I feel like a smaller deal for someone like Forbert as you suggested, would have probably been done by now. To me it seems like it would be an awful lot of scouting for a small deal or just a lot of caution being shown by new GM's that makes fans like me think "4D chess"

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I look at it like this.

-Point's due for a raise so that alone is gonna force some kind of a move
-Stralman ($4.5 million AAV) Girardi (3 million AAV) Coburn (3.7 million AAV) are all UFA's.
-Miller's probably our best "movable" asset in that his NTC starts next summer and we can deal him wherever we want. This is likely in response to Point's incoming raise.
-Callahan has 1 year left on his deal after this season

-The Kings can likely move Taffoli ($4.6 million AAV x 2 years) and/or (perhaps more likely) Hagelin ($3.7 million AAV) rumor has it that Taffoli was of interest to some teams
-The Kings can likely move Martnez and/or Muzzin (both signed x $4 million AAV)
-Kovalchuk can go on LTIR at least temporarily and something tells me he's not gonna stay with LA much longer. I agree that we're not likely to take him but I think it's also unlikely that something isn't done soon about him.
-The Kings are treading lightly on the cap right now and will have to make a move(s) soon.

Lastly... the situation is made easier if a 3rd team helps facilitate the trade. Who? Who knows? It's possible either JBB or Robitaille will call in a favor. The good news for LA is that they are more readily able to clear cap space than Tampa via trades and they've got some guys teams are actually going to want. Get a few deals done and you're out of cap hell with (possibly??) Miller's new deal in tow no problem. I can't imagine they'd part with a good roster player like that without wanting a versatile forward in return considering how many forwards they already stand to lose.

The Lightning are more likely to take care of things in the offseason. At worst we can give these rumors credence based on games being scouted and by the idea of the Lightning invoking a contingency plan for their defense. I for one don't know how we're gonna bring back all our UFA's. I also don't see how we'd readily walk away from Stralman in particular. It seems like "the Lightning thing to do" to cover our bases now with a guy like Muzzin/Martinez who is arguably better than Corbun/Girardi to begin with and then pitch our best offer to him seeing as the guy we traded for in Muzzin/Miller already makes less money than Stralman did.

But at the end of the day who knows? If the Kings scout us again tonight then there's gotta be something going on. I feel like a smaller deal for someone like Forbert as you suggested, would have probably been done by now. To me it seems like it would be an awful lot of scouting for a small deal or just a lot of caution being shown by new GM's that makes fans like me think "4D chess"

I don't think a smaller deal would have been done by now necessarily. We could be trying to figure out if Forbert would be worth bringing in rather than offering Coburn another contract. Martinez doesn't make much sense because it would mean we're giving up on bringing Stralman back, and that's just not our M.O.

Toffoli doesn't make sense because a scoring winger is like the last thing we need, and we'd probably have to shed his contract in the off-season.

Going the other way, the only guy who makes a lot of sense is Koekkoek, and he's not even playing right now, so why would the Kings be scouting us?

I think if anything beyond due diligence is happening here, it's some kind of small, even-money deal. Nothing really makes sense. Nothing's going to improve our team at a price we can afford.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That’s what most people assume, which of course somehow gets translated into being a known fact. To my knowledge nobody outside of the organization really knows anything about who they’re looking at.
How does anyone know who we were scouting? Martinez doesn't make much sense for us.

I'm disappointed that you took me seriously when it was just a playful comment intended to produce a few laughs. Who knew that Floridians were so serious? ;)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm disappointed that you took me seriously when it was just a playful comment intended to produce a few laughs. Who knew that Floridians were so serious? ;)

Hey now. I am only half Floridian, and half New Yorker, I have plenty of sense of humor with a little rudeness added to it, that's the NY part of me. :naughty:

If you think about it, Floridian and Californian both have that coolness and laid back attitude. Yeah, us NY'ers are rude and crazy, but we make up for it in good intentions. We are all the same brother. Except those peeps from NJ, always in people's business. tsk tsk.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Canadian.

I don't think your sense of humor translates to text.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20181204-221904_Twitter.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad