Series Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Rangers | Eastern Conference Finals

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
We have to move in on these smug ashjoles. Yesterday’s Tampa’s Medis Availability. Victor Hedman, Anthony Cirelli and Coach Jon Cooper.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Let’s see who, if any, are on the ice this morning for the optional.
No optional skate today. They haven't an optional the morning of a home game since first round.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The first 2 games the NYR were able to use their speed to create chances, at times trading chances, relying on Igor to have their back. That is the winning formula for the NYR.

Then as @Machinehead said making a great point, Tampa morphed into the Islanders. Jamming up the breakout with physical play and obstruction on the wingers, clogging the NZ and blueline and shutting down the NYR speed game. Forcing NYR to have to dump and chase.

Results went exactly as anyone who has spent any significant period of time watching this team would expect it to go. That has been the difference and I'm not sure how the NYR figure it out now of all times with the gas tank on E.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Based on what the board wanted, Gallant got it half-right by scratching Reaves and dressing Rooney instead of Hunt. I wonder if Reaves goes back in? Road game, hostile environment. Or does Rooney stay in; he didn't have a good Game 5. Or, go with Hunt, who would give Gallant an additional line juggling option if needed, as he can conceivably shuttle between the Panarin line and the fourth line in situations, if the Panarin-Strome-Copp trio can't get it going, allowing Goodrow to stay focused.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
We do well when the game is open through the neutral zone and there are many chances for both teams. This is what we saw in games 1, 2, and some of game 3.

We struggle when the game is tight and the opposing team doesn't turn over the puck, leading to fewer rush chances. This type of play is great for Tampa because they park guys in front of the net and shoot from the point. We refuse to play this way, which is why we tend to suck in these types of games.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The first 2 games the NYR were able to use their speed to create chances, at times trading chances, relying on Igor to have their back. That is the winning formula for the NYR.

Then as @Machinehead said making a great point, Tampa morphed into the Islanders. Jamming up the breakout with physical play and obstruction on the wingers, clogging the NZ and blueline and shutting down the NYR speed game. Forcing NYR to have to dump and chase.

Results went exactly as anyone who has spent any significant period of time watching this team would expect it to go. That has been the difference and I'm not sure how the NYR figure it out now of all times with the gas tank on E.

Here's a real-time take, so take with a grain of salt. We're dealing with a finesse team, let's just admit it, so it could be that officials have some implicit bias with finesse players running up into obstruction. It's the playoffs, defenders get a certain amount of leeway with obstruction, and the side that has possession is kind of expected to fight harder. Our team is frequently guilty of looking disinterested, laid-back, soft, lazy, lack of urgency, whatever. It doesn't look as good as a team that looks like it is playing with desperation and urgency. So our team might not be "earning" the calls in the referees' eyes.

The team needs to become a harder team to play against, become harder on the puck, just have more sandpaper in general.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

It wasn't pretty but we were a bounce away from winning game 5. Just keep getting pucks on net.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's a real-time take, so take with a grain of salt. We're dealing with a finesse team, let's just admit it, so it could be that officials have some implicit bias with finesse players running up into obstruction. It's the playoffs, defenders get a certain amount of leeway with obstruction, and the side that has possession is kind of expected to fight harder. Our team is frequently guilty of looking disinterested, laid-back, soft, lazy, lack of urgency, whatever. It doesn't look as good as a team that looks like it is playing with desperation and urgency. So our team might not be "earning" the calls in the referees' eyes.

The team needs to become a harder team to play against, become harder on the puck, just have more sandpaper in general.
We just need one winger that can play more of a forechecking role. Zibanejad and Kreider actually did very well getting a cycle game going. Vatrano was lost.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Would have been nice to get something from the 4th line the entire playoffs, looking back Dom Moore and Brian Boyle had 8 points each in 25 games in our cup run.

Goodrow 8 games 1 assist
Motte 14 games 2 goals, 1 being an ENG
Rooney 14 games 2 assist
Reaves 18 games nothing

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Keep talkin shit. These are the comeback kids. The more hate energy they get the harder they crush hater's souls. f*** Pittsburgh. f*** Carolina...and most importantly f*** Tampa.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If he actually spit in his face to me their are few things worse than that. No wonder Lafreniere flipped out.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
We’re not losing to this clown and the circus of an organization he plays for. They couldn’t even buy them champagne after their repeat cup win. Bud Light? I clean my toilet with that stuff.
Rangers in 7! All day, Everyday.

• Haha
Reactions: HANK30 and Jauffre

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Based on what the board wanted, Gallant got it half-right by scratching Reaves and dressing Rooney instead of Hunt. I wonder if Reaves goes back in? Road game, hostile environment. Or does Rooney stay in; he didn't have a good Game 5. Or, go with Hunt, who would give Gallant an additional line juggling option if needed, as he can conceivably shuttle between the Panarin line and the fourth line in situations, if the Panarin-Strome-Copp trio can't get it going, allowing Goodrow to stay focused.

I would’ve played Hunt yesterday but Gallant probably wanted an extra C in case Strome/Chytil couldn’t make it through

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I really hope the players aren't as dejected and defeated as the fanbase.

They are fully capable of winning this series. I'm worried though that the Rangers are going to come out nervous and tentative which will play right into Tampa's trapping hands. That's the exact playbook they want to run.

Come out with pace, push them back, get some real chances and get an early goal and we will win.

We were trailing 3-1 in round one and 3-2 in round 2 and we won both of those series. Tampa was trailing to Toronto 3-2 in round 1 and they won that series. This series isn't over, we just need to win Saturday night.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
That loss felt like someone ripped my heart right out of my chest but somehow 14 hours later I don't feel so deflated.

I still have this feeling that Igor is going to steal one and we'll get powerplay chances and it's coming back to the Garden for game 7. Oh, and on June 14th by the way.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Are we going to talk about that attempted hit by Trouba? You know, the one going around where every other team's fans are saying he's a dirty player.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Are we going to talk about that attempted hit by Trouba? You know, the one going around where every other team's fans are saying he's a dirty player.
Yeah that's why I stay away from the main boards, they're posting screenshots of Trouba extending AFTER Palat ducked. If you track the trajectory, it looks shoulder to chest if they both followed the same original path; except: Palat reaches, puts head down & forward, then ducks. This all happens in literally a second or less.. The "elbow" wasn't headed for the head of a player in normal skating position. It's another nothing burger. The NHL won't even look at it, and HF will call it a "bush league" because of it.

But that thread's completely hijacked, no reason to even check it out, not worth wasting your time. We've got enough to be upset over after these last 3 games.

Reactions: AirGut

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Part of the experience should be the Rangers learning how to manage the refs. Some teams get away with stuff more often because they are constantly doing it, therefor it does not look odd to the refs.

(Not the totally obvious stuff that will get called, more the obstruction stuff where it's a small hold, get in the way by "accident" pick, hold the player up against the board for 4-5 seconds after the puck was gone... types of thing)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad