Tampa Bay Lightning: unsustainable?

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I think out success is sustainable. Before missing the playoffs last season we had 2 deep playoff runs, so it's not like we came out of nowhere. While most of the attention has been on our offense and rightfully so, we are currently 2nd (tied with the Sharks) for fewest GA/G, only trailing the Kings, so we've shown the ability to win in a variety of ways. Sustaining that level of defense and goaltending will be important should Stamkos and/or Kucherov either get hurt or hit a cold streak.

Reactions: jahbless

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
can kucherov continue to cherry pick at recordbreaking levels?

:]

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Meh, Stamkos has effectively had 2 seasons off, he is going to be physically very fresh (besides the one injury, unlike other guys he doesn't have the same small injuries "lingering" from being out for 2 years) never mind mentally when you don't get to do what you love for effectively 2 years, you have to be DYING to get back, Hedman also played half a year last year....so that helps a ton.

If anything, they're one of the teams that honestly looks most sustainable in the league all things considered.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Meh, Stamkos has effectively had 2 seasons off, he is going to be physically very fresh (besides the one injury, unlike other guys he doesn't have the same small injuries "lingering" from being out for 2 years) never mind mentally when you don't get to do what you love for effectively 2 years, you have to be DYING to get back, Hedman also played half a year last year....so that helps a ton.

If anything, they're one of the teams that honestly looks most sustainable in the league all things considered.

Hedman played nearly all season, was in contention for the Norris.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
After the injury to Stamkos last season, I had a feeling us missing the playoffs was a blessing in disguise. We wouldn't have gone far anyway, and not playing in the playoffs let us rest up and heal following 2 straight deep playoff runs. We definitely look refreshed this season.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Do you think Tampa is legit or a paper tiger?

More legit than fake. Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov might be playing above their heads right now, but they're all legitimately good players. Even if they come down to earth, you'll have an above average team that started well, that will be bringing that momentum into the playoffs.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Here's some other problems with the team that I neglected to mention in OP.

Lack of a good third scoring line
Unsustainable team sh%
Kucherov unsustainable sh%
Playoff format (if they keep 1 seed in division they will get harder first round matchup than say the leafs, could lead to a first round loss or being battered and tired for an easy leafs win in round 2)

I'll take your problems over mine, LOL.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Their status as a contender is not unsustainable IMO, but their current PDO (Sh%+Sv%) is the highest of any team since the 2007-08 season. And that includes Budaj obviously, lol.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is there any question that Yzerman keep the right goalie? Bishop has barely been average for almost 1.5 years and on 3 different teams now.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They're a contending team for sure and as long as the team stays healthy, i can't see that changing. I mean i don't think they're even playing their best hockey so far. When this team is competing their hardest and the top guys are going, they're god damn lethal. And let's not forget they have a good amount of playoff experience. SCF vs Chicago, ECF 7 game series against the Pens.. All the main guys know what the playoffs are about and what they have to do.

What is a question mark for me though is what happens if (and probably when) Vasi hits a tough stretch ? If they don't have a reliable backup then goaltending can become an issue if Vasi starts struggling at the wrong time. I always thought Budaj was overrated last year and this year when the team isn't sheltering him like the Kings we see what he's all about.

I'd also like the Bolts to improve their depth up front a bit. I believe they've been doubleshifting the Stamkos at least at times this season and even with a healthy lineup i think they've gone with 11 F and 7 D at least in some games i've seen ? And it's not like they're leaving a good forward out of the lineup.

But that's pretty easy to fix. If all Yzerman has to do is to get a bottom 6 forward and maybe look at a backup, the Bolts have it pretty good.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
TBL so good. Will go through a slump but they winning the cup this year.

They beating up everyone and will go through a weak inexperienced division during the playoffs.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I thought this post was going to be about how the Lightning will not be able to afford all of their players in the next few years.. Unsustainable this year? Are you kidding me lol they are easily top 3 team in the league if not the best.
1) Top 3 goaltender
2) Top 3 defenceman
3) 2 top 20 players (Kuch top 10)

Enough said.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Could be wrong as well, but Stamkos has not had a lot of actual injuries, yeah he had the broken leg but last year was not an injury it was an illness , this guy has had no luck whatsoever.

Edit , sorry that was the year before . Last year was an injury. Carry on

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Could be wrong as well, but Stamkos has not had a lot of actual injuries, yeah he had the broken leg but last year was not an injury it was an illness , this guy has had no luck whatsoever.

Edit , sorry that was the year before . Last year was an injury. Carry on
Last year was his knee - it was an injury.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
The bolts are scary good so far. As a leafs fan I’m more focused and worried about Boston as they are a good team and have games in hand and look really good. Bolts have separated themseleves in the Atlantic and are a super talented deep team that is well managed. They will win a cup sooner than later.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I'm predicting Stamkos gets injured in the final game of the season and the Lightning lose in the second round.

Reactions: stanislav

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And this starts a ten game losing streak, I'm sure.

One sec I have to change my avatar to Shea Theodore for a day I lost a bet.

Edit: lol nah I can't bring myself to do it

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Is there any question that Yzerman keep the right goalie? Bishop has barely been average for almost 1.5 years and on 3 different teams now.

This was not exactly a genius move. Bishop 31 years old making 4.9 mil per for the next six seasons, Vasilevskiy 23 years old making 3.5 mil per for the next three seasons. Pretty sure every GM in the league makes this call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad