Tampa Bay Lightning: unsustainable?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm glad Tampa Bay is the best team in the league. They built a quick, skilled team and the NHL's enforcement favors it. Hopefully this enforcement allows the Lightning to win a cup this year and doesn't end with the regular season.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
If we don’t win a cup this year I will honestly be really disappointed. The way this team has played this year has been amazing. I think if we stay healthy the sky is the limit.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pittsburgh Tampa could be a first round matchup this year. It's cup or bust for both of these teams so might as well have that series right away. Pens have slept through the season so far but they will not be an easy out by anyone.

How is it cup or bust for you guys? Pens have done their fair share of winning for the next decade! If Pittsburgh does bow out this year I don't think their fans will hold it against them, I don't think anyone would although I'd like to see the back to back cup champs bow out in a 3rd round faceoff though.= and not a 1st round exit.

This is year 4 of contention for the Lightning, they have something to prove and a big monkey on their back.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Their astronomical success right now is based is the incredible level of synergy the top line is producing. They are playing absolutely lights out together. However chemistry is prone to serious, mystifying and unsolvable breakdown. Those backhand sauces won't always land right on the other guy's tape.

If that happens the Bolts are still a strong team but not running away with it like they are now. So no, probably not sustainable, but even a step back puts them at or near the top of the league.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Here's some other problems with the team that I neglected to mention in OP.

Lack of a good third scoring line
Unsustainable team sh%
Kucherov unsustainable sh%
Playoff format (if they keep 1 seed in division they will get harder first round matchup than say the leafs, could lead to a first round loss or being battered and tired for an easy leafs win in round 2)

I'm trying to understand what are you doing here. Some kind of reverse jinx thread?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Their astronomical success right now is based is the incredible level of synergy the top line is producing. They are playing absolutely lights out together. However chemistry is prone to serious, mystifying and unsolvable breakdown. Those backhand sauces won't always land right on the other guy's tape.

If that happens the Bolts are still a strong team but not running away with it like they are now. So no, probably not sustainable, but even a step back puts them at or near the top of the league.

Top line is not playing as good as they did at the start of the season... everyone is contributing to the offense. Just look at our #2C...

Sergachev is top-10 points for D-man... that's just absurd.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

The way that line produces is unsustainable. They do have other lines they have been doing when things hit a wall but yea not quite as good as that line.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They may trail off and it’s better that they do. If they trail off and still win most of the games. They are still favorites

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't expect them to keep up their pace for 60 wins. But they'll make the playoffs and probably do well in them

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
How is it cup or bust for you guys? Pens have done their fair share of winning for the next decade! If Pittsburgh does bow out this year I don't think their fans will hold it against them, I don't think anyone would although I'd like to see the back to back cup champs bow out in a 3rd round faceoff though.= and not a 1st round exit.

This is year 4 of contention for the Lightning, they have something to prove and a big monkey on their back.
Cup or bust in the sense that there's no moral victory for getting to the ECF for the pens. If Pittsburgh has to play Tampa first round so be it, and if they lost id prefer the long offseason.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I would debate this but it's an obvious reverse jinks thread. My real opinion is they have been my cup favorites all year . But I have a giant crush on kucherov

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Tampa is the class of the league right now. Incredible well built. Yzerman has so many team friendly deals it’s hilarious. Sergachev deal is a home run. They get to roll out Hedman and Sergachev for the next 8 years that’s going to be fun to deal with. There is just an awesome rivalry on the horizon between Toronto and Tampa, I see them meeting up in the second round for years to come.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think they are the team to beat. They also have been a little lucky.

:facepalm:

PDO doesn't measure luck, nor is there a "mean" that every team regresses to. Not all goaltenders/shooters are created equal.

Edit: As an aside, I f***ing hate those charts. So misleading.

Reactions: Syckle78

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If we don't win it all this year I'll finally be able to properly console Capitals fans if they don't win it either and say "I feel your pain right now"

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If we don't win it all this year I'll finally be able to properly console Capitals fans if they don't win it either and say "I feel your pain right now"
If we don't win for the next ten years despite winning numerous President's Trophies and divisional titles, you can say that. You don't know the pain of Washington sports fans. They enter every playoffs assuming they'll fail.

One underperforming season by us wouldn't come close to matching their misanthropy.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
When was the last time a team sustained this level of play? 2010 Caps? It's such a unlikely thing to happen and even if it does, anything can happen in the playoffs

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Shots and Shot attempts are overrated when you've got the team tampa has. You seen Stamkos shoot a puck? He doesn't need many attempts to bury one.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Tampa is the sort of team that has built itself the right way. They are a very deep team throughout the lineup and the only way I see them struggling or failing to win is if they get a nasty case of the injury bug and end up losing a lot of key players because of its bite. I think Tampa will be a Cup finalist this year if not outright winning the cup.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If we don't win for the next ten years despite winning numerous President's Trophies and divisional titles, you can say that. You don't know the pain of Washington sports fans. They enter every playoffs assuming they'll fail.

One underperforming season by us wouldn't come close to matching their misanthropy.

Sure it's one season but we never had a season like this before where we came up short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad