Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning at New York Rangers 11/17/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Well that looked like a surrender in the 3rd. Bad enough when you suck and your goalie cannot stop a beach ball, quitting on your teammates and fans is not a good strategy.....2 games like that in the past week. Stemkowski just called them quitters on the radio.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Staal is pretty much performing at the same level he was last year when he was away from Stralman. (48% CF atm)

Staal was really bad without Stralman on his pairing, so it is no surprise that he isn't performing this year.

When they were together, they were exceptionally good as a pairing with a 56% CF! That is elite first pairing numbers.

The Rangers had the luxury last year to roll out 2 elite defense pairings in McD-Girardi and Staal-Stralman, and they broke that up by aiming for more offense from the blue line with D. Boyle, who's play has been declining.

It is an unforgivable mistake. One way to salvage this is to trade for Gilbert/Sekera to bring back that extreme possession game that Stralman brought.

Knowing the Rangers luck, Staal will probably go to Tampa and make a formidable pairing once again with Stralman.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What happened to our possession game this year? 16 shots on goal? That's pathetic. Boyle and Dorsett were 4th liners, valuable, but their absence shouldn't hurt the possession game THIS much because AV can just play the 4th line less. Stralman was great, but I thought Boyle was at least a decent possession guy even if he wasn't that great in his own end. I thought getting rid of Stralman would hurt and boy was I right. I still say the guy gets underrated because he's not a flashy European that doesn't score many points. If he had the same exact game but was "heart and sole player" like Girardi and his name were Smith he'd be considered our 2nd best D-man by a mile and he'd still be here.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I'm not one to make a panic move, but something has to be done to wake these guys up. Also at the same time, if we were just good at shootouts it wouldn't look so bad.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
Yeah, don't panic. :D :laugh:

This is the third recent game I can think of where we got into uniform, skated around a few times, and went home - Montreal and Edmonton being the others. Only this was on a late 90s-early 2000s level, that long period when our heads were in the toilet.

Absolutely abysmal game all around. I probably sound like a broken record, but I thought Hayes/Hagelin/Duclair were our best line by some way. The Dmen were a total embarrassment, I don't even know if they were in the building when most of the goals were scored.

And Staal, you give up on a play in front of the net? WTF do you call that? And you want to be resigned?

Just **** off - everybody.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People say don't panic we were in the same position lost year. Well last year we weren't lazy. This team is ****ing lazy.

They think they're special now because of last May. Piss in your ****ing Prince of Wales trophy.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
The AV experiment is clearly not working. The players have tuned him out and he continues to make poor decision after poor decision. His system will not work with the lack of talent on this team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What happened to our possession game this year? 16 shots on goal? That's pathetic. Boyle and Dorsett were 4th liners, valuable, but their absence shouldn't hurt the possession game THIS much because AV can just play the 4th line less. Stralman was great, but I thought Boyle was at least a decent possession guy even if he wasn't that great in his own end. I thought getting rid of Stralman would hurt and boy was I right. I still say the guy gets underrated because he's not a flashy European that doesn't score many points. If he had the same exact game but was "heart and sole player" like Girardi and his name were Smith he'd be considered our 2nd best D-man by a mile and he'd still be here.
Boyle had above average Corsi numbers with sheltered minutes. He wasn't a puck possession player like he was in the past with the Sharks last year.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I'm so glad we had Anton Bourque last year after 18 games to help them get 18 points.

Also glad we had Anton Orr last year to prevent blowout losses like maybe a 5-0 loss to Tampa last November.

He willed us to a 9-2 loss against San Jose.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm so glad we had Anton Bourque last year after 18 games to help them get 18 points.

Also glad we had Anton Orr last year to prevent blowout losses like maybe a 5-0 loss to Tampa last November.

You can tell the difference between the posters that understand the game of hockey. The ups and downs of a season.

Its comical to read the shortsighted knee jerk reaction crybaby posts after bad losses.

Truth is you need losses like this in a season, especially in November so that you can adapt, adjust, and learn.

We had the same losses last year so that we would be a better, more complete team in the spring

Jan 8, 2012
NY
One bad game from the entire team. Put it behind you and move on.

But then there's also the home opener, the Islanders game right after that, and the Montreal and Edmonton games.

All of these being games where they didn't show any effort whatsoever.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I don't expect much from Glass, and he always delivers.

Some of them other players? Yeah, I expect much better.

This a Game Day Thread. About this game played tonight.
This put it behind you, forget about it stuff. That is not what winners do when there is a real problem that needs to be addressed.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Hey, remember when we were worried about other teams poaching the great defensive assistant coach Ulf Samuelson during the off-season?

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
They simply can't keep playing this loose defensively and expect to win. This team isn't built to win like Chicago or even Toronto. Team wide malaise: forwards, defensemen, goalies. Responsible hockey's hard work. They seem to really be getting away from their former work ethic.

BTW, last summer the choice wasn't simply Boyle or Stralman. They desperately needed a scoring D, but could've easily traded Klein's contract for futures, kept Stralman and signed Boyle or Ehroff. The cap would've been tighter. However, they would've missed out on the All-Star Glass and would have had to make do with a minimum salary guy like Carcillo. That was probably the deal breaker for AV and Slats.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
As much as I like Staal, I'm not paying him 6.5 mil (if that's what he demands).

This isn't cause of the game he had tonight either.

I wouldn't have minded paying him 6m this season if they kept Stralman, because they were an elite pairing that showed chemistry when on the ice together. But now, no way. He is not a fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad