Tampa Bay: Are we witnessing the best roster in the cap era?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Seriously seems like a case of

Hmm, how badly is Tampa going to crush ________ tonight?

Filthly good team.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Sure, Cup. But these discussions are always about "on paper", and I think Tampa has a pretty strong case. Will it amount to anything? We'll see. But they're as stacked a squad as I've seen in less-than-recent memory.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think yes. Yzerman did an exceptional job with all aspects of GMing. Good signings, good amateur and pro scouting, made some great trades, strong asset management, he assembled a great team. Bizarre he chose to leave before the fruits of his labour could be realized. The Lightning are pound for pound the best team in the league. They haven't even lost 10 times yet and it's almost Christmas. They could have 30 wins by January.

Reactions: Sk8M8

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Up there with the better regular season rosters in the last decade or so. It’s hard to win a Cup. You can have the best roster and still only have a 10% chance to win the whole thing. So I don’t think you have to win a Cup to have the best roster. Cups are how you determine who the best teams were. Best roster and best team is two different things.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Lightning fan here...until we win it all...we are the best team never to win it in the cap era. Imho this book has yet been finished though. Stevie Y and Jeff Vinik have done an outstanding job. Not much else to say. For Stammer to be an all time great hes gotta come through in the playoffs.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
One of the better regular season rosters in the last decade or so. But their reliance on the PP becomes more apparent in the Spring. Also think their D behind Hedman is suspect regardless of reputation.
we lead the NHL in 5v5 goals scored since the start of last season by 15, and are easily the only team with over 3 5v5 goals/60 in that span

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
we lead the NHL in 5v5 goals scored since the start of last season by 15, and are easily the only team with over 3 5v5 goals/60 in that span

Edited my post to remove that as I didn’t think it fit with the topic. But they had something like 10 ES goals the entire 7-game series against the Caps last year.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
But do they have the best top 9 ever assembled in the history of the world?!?!

In all seriousness, the Lightning, Predators and Jets are so far ahead of everyone else, I cant help but respect it.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I really thought Toronto would have this title but Tampa Bay is definitely on a level of their own and changed my opinion. Unfortunate for Toronto because I think Tampa will beat them in the playoffs . New Chicago and LA

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
So because Carolina has a cup, does that mean they had a great roster?
Because Vegas made the finals, did they have a great roster?

Because Vancouver didn't win the cup from 2010-15 does that mean their roser wasn't great?

I maintain that you can have an elite roster and not win the cup, just as you can have a meh roster and still win a cup...
How many elite teams over a period of time did not win though?

Vegas didn't win. So you had literally one example. Leafs from 98-2004 were a very good team but they can't be considered elite.

How often has a "meh" roster won a cup? Let's be real here.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
How many elite teams over a period of time did not win though?

Vegas didn't win. So you had literally one example. Leafs from 98-2004 were a very good team but they can't be considered elite.

How often has a "meh" roster won a cup? Let's be real here.
San Jose and Vancouver in recent years are elite teams that didn't win.

Carolina is a meh team that won the cup recently.

No idea why you mentioned the leafs.

It happens more than you think though.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Statistically speaking, the Canucks had the best post-lockout season in 2010-2011. In terms of any major metric such as PP %, PK %, GF, GA, etc. Also had a Hart and Art Ross winner, Selke winner, won the Jennings, won the President's Trophy, had a Vezina nominee, had 6 20 goal scorers, etc.

Reactions: DanM

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
The last 3 years Tampa has made the playoffs they’ve lost in the finals to Chicago, lost in game 7 to Pittsburgh in the conference finals who eventually won the cup and lost in game 7 of the conference finals to Washington who won the cup...

I’d hardly call them “not built for the playoffs” last year was the only year they were favoured in any of those series.
Around here you’re a choker if you don’t win the whole thing, regardless of how far you make it.

Some people fail to see the difference between the current Lightning and the pre-2017 Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad