Tampa Bay: Are we witnessing the best roster in the cap era?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Is Tampa Bay the best roster in the Cap era and possibly beyond that?

I believe they definitely have a case for it.

Breaking down the team:

Kucherov: a top 3 winger in the league, no one will argue that. He's consistent and has tons of talent. 90-100 points
Stamkos
: a top sniper, elite talent, has regained form after a hard run of injuries, and is a 80-90 point guy.
Point: an absolute steal for the lightning. Point keeps proving his value over and over and has proven many people wrong. Loves clutch moments which makes him a fan favorite. 70-80 point player.

Hedman: Norris contender every year.

Mcdonagh: was considered a true #1 in his new york days and is back to form now, dominating games.

Vasi: Top 3 goalie, vezina contender.

So far you have 6 elite players on the roster, most of which could easily contend for trophies in any given year.

On top of that though, you have a great compliment, with Stralman, Gourde, Johnson and Sergachev. These guys are all top 6 or top 4 players in the league.

We're 35 games in and Tampa already has a 8 point lead on 2nd, and their pacing for nearly 130 points, clearly on a level of their own.

And with the lightning planning on retaining Point, is this the best cap era team asembled?
I really this is a special group that isn't getting enough love.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
9247BF41-DA8E-4539-80F2-1CE2FC365814.jpeg

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Selfishly I want them to win the cup so the Rangers can have their 1st rounder and the old NYR crowd (McDonagh, Girardi etc.) can have their moment

But I also want to see it happen because they've done everything the right way. They've drafted well, traded well, hired the right staff (mostly from within), they've set a winning precedent and managed to carve a niche in a tough market for hockey to crack, turning a franchise that was losing millions into a sustainable sports endeavour.

All whilst playing good hockey and signing fair deals. They're the model which all other nhl franchises should aspire to emulate

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Toronto is better.
And the Caps are better than them and I still don't think the Leafs have the roster Tampa does. Honestly top to bottom who has a better roster than the Capitals in the East? They're as talented as anyone if not moreso through the middle and on the wing. Defensively they're much better than Toronto and Holtby is above Anderson until proven otherwise.

The Bolts are right there with Washington and Winnipeg for the best rosters in the league.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Can't they be the best roster asembled without winning the cup? A cup doesn't make your team better or worse.
There's a lot of factors in play to win the cup, roster just being one of them.
That's kind of how you judge if a team is great or not. If they don't perform in the playoffs, then they can't be he best team since the lockout.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly I think they are very beatable in a playoff series. Not by every team but I think that the top end ones or ones who can play them properly it won't be easy, but they are beatable.

However in the regular season when they just keep rolling they are in a league of their own.

Reactions: libertarian

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
All four are virtually tied offensively, but the Bolts are best defensively. And I say this as a fan of one of the 'runner up' teams.
I think it's too early to make the distinction and the Caps special teams right now are a mess, but I won't argue that I think the Bolts are easily one of the 3 best rosters in the league. Toronto is not one of them, sorry not sorry.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That's kind of how you judge if a team is great or not. If they don't perform in the playoffs, then they can't be he best team since the lockout.
So because Carolina has a cup, does that mean they had a great roster?
Because Vegas made the finals, did they have a great roster?

Because Vancouver didn't win the cup from 2010-15 does that mean their roser wasn't great?

I maintain that you can have an elite roster and not win the cup, just as you can have a meh roster and still win a cup...

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Honestly I think they are very beatable in a playoff series. Not by every team but I think that the top end ones or ones who can play them properly it won't be easy, but they are beatable.

However in the regular season when they just keep rolling they are in a league of their own.
They've proven they have what it takes to win, they've just missed a bunch of times. Of the teams that haven't won they're the closest, sorry Winnipeg. One of Tampa Bay or Washington will come out of the East this year and I don't see the streak of Eastern Conference Cup champs being broken in 2019.

Reactions: wetcoast

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They've proven they have what it takes to win, they've just missed a bunch of times. Of the teams that haven't won they're the closest, sorry Winnipeg. One of Tampa Bay or Washington will come out of the East this year and I don't see the streak of Eastern Conference Cup champs being broken in 2019.

How did they show they have what it takes anymore than the Sharks of years past? Lots of won rounds, all the checkboxes, even made it further than this Bolts going to the finals.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tampa reminds me a lot of the 2011 Canucks.

That team is disgustingly good, their management is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The last 3 years Tampa has made the playoffs they’ve lost in the finals to Chicago, lost in game 7 to Pittsburgh in the conference finals who eventually won the cup and lost in game 7 of the conference finals to Washington who won the cup...

I’d hardly call them “not built for the playoffs” last year was the only year they were favoured in any of those series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad