Tampa Bay: Are we witnessing the best roster in the cap era?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
San Jose and Vancouver in recent years are elite teams that didn't win.

Carolina is a meh team that won the cup recently.

No idea why you mentioned the leafs.

It happens more than you think though.
I mentioned them as a team that was very good but not elite because they didn't win. San Jose was a team full of guys who don't perform in the playoffs. Carolina isn't really a team that won recently. They had a goalie who completely played out of his mind and is a very rare example. They also had a 100 point center.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Did you watch any hockey last year? Vegas says **** your stats and chemistry.
They didn't win the cups, yes an .942% save percentage goaltender would give a chance to any team to win series.

That would be between the Hawks and Red Wing I imagine.

highest winning team
12-13 Hawks: .802 (shortened season)

05-06: Wings: .756 (and they are on they way to 2 stanley cup final)

Those wings had
Datsyuk a 90-100 points selke center
Zetterberg a 70-80 points selke center
Holmstrom
Lang
Franzen
Draper/Malby
Jason Williams

Lidstrom
Schneider
Kronwall
Danny Markov
Chelios

The 2009-2010 Caps were also quite the powerhouse, they had a freak lost to Halak that does not mean much

Reactions: dukeofjive

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They've got as good a roster as I can recall in the cap era. 2 elite centers, 2 elite defensemen, one of the best wingers in the game, a top-tier goalie, and really solid depth everywhere. They're easily my pick as favorites to win the cup this year. That said, hockey isn't played on paper, and surprises happen every year. You haven't won until you've won.

Reactions: Sk8M8

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Honestly I think they are very beatable in a playoff series. Not by every team but I think that the top end ones or ones who can play them properly it won't be easy, but they are beatable.

However in the regular season when they just keep rolling they are in a league of their own.
So, they're like every other team in the league then?

Got it. Riveting analysis.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This thread is for the best roster, not the scariest.

Wait why does that roster blow you away?
I guess their defense is so-so for a contender, but they had the deepest forward corps I've ever seen.

They were healthy scratching Clarke MacArthur and Drew Stafford. Respectively, they had 17 and 20 goals the following year. (When the Sabres lost some guys)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Tampa isn't even in the top 10. They have no Cups and 1 final appearance years ago.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hecht-Briere-Pominville
Connolly-Roy-Vanek
Kotalik-Drury-Afinogenov
Paille-Mair-Gaustad
MacArthur-Zubrus-Stafford

Their 5th line was a 2nd line lol

Definitely one of my favorite rosters

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I guess their defense is so-so for a contender,

I remember quite the defense group for that team.

Campbell, Tallinder, Numminen, Lydman was quite the top 4, having someone like Spacek has your number 6 show how deep they were at defense. At significantly older Spacer was the #3 on the Habs when he got traded there, Lydman was #2 when he arrive on the Ducks year's later.

They simply had most of them injured during the playoff.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
yeah, but they lost in the second round with an even stronger team

Match ups and play style. It's not all about who has the best team on paper

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if the leafs got knocked out in the first round again

Lots of points on paper, But don't have the style to match up against other teams

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Match ups and play style. It's not all about who has the best team on paper

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if the leafs got knocked out in the first round again

Lots of points on paper, But don't have the style to match up against other teams
you shouldn't be surprised if any team gets knocked out in the first round. Even the best teams have like a 35-40% chance of losing

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Is Tampa Bay the best roster in the Cap era and possibly beyond that?

I believe they definitely have a case for it.

Breaking down the team:

Kucherov: a top 3 winger in the league, no one will argue that. He's consistent and has tons of talent. 90-100 points
Stamkos
: a top sniper, elite talent, has regained form after a hard run of injuries, and is a 80-90 point guy.
Point: an absolute steal for the lightning. Point keeps proving his value over and over and has proven many people wrong. Loves clutch moments which makes him a fan favorite. 70-80 point player.

Hedman: Norris contender every year.

Mcdonagh: was considered a true #1 in his new york days and is back to form now, dominating games.

Vasi: Top 3 goalie, vezina contender.

So far you have 6 elite players on the roster, most of which could easily contend for trophies in any given year.

On top of that though, you have a great compliment, with Stralman, Gourde, Johnson and Sergachev. These guys are all top 6 or top 4 players in the league.

We're 35 games in and Tampa already has a 8 point lead on 2nd, and their pacing for nearly 130 points, clearly on a level of their own.

And with the lightning planning on retaining Point, is this the best cap era team asembled?
I really this is a special group that isn't getting enough love.
Yes

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember quite the defense group for that team.

Campbell, Tallinder, Numminen, Lydman was quite the top 4, having someone like Spacek has your number 6 show how deep they were at defense. At significantly older Spacer was the #3 on the Habs when he got traded there, Lydman was #2 when he arrive on the Ducks year's later.

They simply had most of them injured during the playoff.

Oh they were great, don't get me wrong.

They just didn't knock me over like the forwards did, and they lacked that one real Norris-level guy.

But they were definitely good enough to win. Just had too many injuries in 2006 and had one bad series against Ottawa in 2007.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If you're team is built right you should win 70 percent time. That's why they do a best out of 7

Sound about right if you have a team that win 60% of is game against any opponent has .710 chance of winning a 4 of 7 series, 25% chance of winning 4 in row.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Sound about right if you have a team that win 60% of is game against any opponent has .710 chance of winning a 4 of 7 series, 25% chance of winning 4 in row.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
Because honestly I didn't bother the math lol I was just saying the better team should win 7 out of 10 times
But I guess it could be 6

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Hell of a great team and all the assets to win the Cup this year. BUT i still think that this years Nashville and Winnipeg has even better teams on paper. They have also done it ”right way”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad