Rumor: Tallon given back more power? (TSN says yes, Viola says no..)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
you know the talk about other GMs not wanting to talk trade because it was going through "non hockey" guys like Joyce and Werier got me thinking. It's not exactly the same, but what about Chayka out in Arizona? He is majorly a stats guy and aside from playing Junior A, he didn't have some great hockey career nor is he part of the old boys club. Are GMs not wanting to talk to him as well? Something just seems off about that.

Chayka never cleaned house and came into a losing atmosphere.. he didn't blow up a young team on the rise.. very different..

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Chayka never cleaned house and came into a losing atmosphere.. he didn't blow up a young team on the rise.. very different..

So are you saying that opposing GMs aren't trading with the panthers due to moral superiority? Otherwise I don't understand how your response applies to trade negotiations.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Neither did our GMs.

If anything, if we're giving away such great talent, pretty sure GMs would be lining up to take our calls.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
you know the talk about other GMs not wanting to talk trade because it was going through "non hockey" guys like Joyce and Werier got me thinking. It's not exactly the same, but what about Chayka out in Arizona? He is majorly a stats guy and aside from playing Junior A, he didn't have some great hockey career nor is he part of the old boys club. Are GMs not wanting to talk to him as well? Something just seems off about that.

I would say the difference is that Tallon was running a good ship an was promoted (demoted) for no "good" reason, souring how other GMs perceived us.

In comes a new GM which might not be favorable.

And for the record, articles have stated it's not that teams dont want to talk to our GMs, it's that they dont know WHO to talk to.

One article cited someone reaching out to Rowe, and Joyce saying it should have been him that should have been at our end.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
This is why they have made like 8 trades since the end of last year?

Sure sure.

Vancouver and Buffalo must have run for the hills, no idea who to speak with. Or, are now you saying now that Tallon must have still been taking those trade calls at that time?

Either way doesn't really fit the twists you guys love to talk about.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I would say the difference is that Tallon was running a good ship an was promoted (demoted) for no "good" reason, souring how other GMs perceived us.

In comes a new GM which might not be favorable.

And for the record, articles have stated it's not that teams dont want to talk to our GMs, it's that they dont know WHO to talk to.

One article cited someone reaching out to Rowe, and Joyce saying it should have been him that should have been at our end.

this team has made plenty of trades. doesn't really jive

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Why does getting trades done mean that the article is incorrect? They could have contacted Rowe, found out they should be contacting Joyce, contacted Joyce, made a trade.

It's not ludicrous, it's unorganized.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
this team has made plenty of trades. doesn't really jive
But how many trades have we made where the other team started it? I get the sense that most, if not all, of the trades we made during the offseason were pursued by Rowe & co. The team had their eye on Pysyk for years, they wanted to get rid of Gudbranson and I doubt Yotes called us that "we'd love to take Bolland off your hands".

I'm not saying it was this confusing back then, but Rowe going from GM to coach probably made things worse.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Agree.

Despite the small sample size, one thing that is apparent is that Viola understands how to play the cap. With 20-20 hindsight, it was a smart move to dump a really bad contract onto Arizona even, at the price of Crouse, who is hardly setting the world on fire. The Guds and Kulikov trades reflected the decision that they were not worth resigning for the money that it would take and it was better to trade them in return for valuable assets last summer as opposed to getting nothing at the end of the this season. With our core signed long-term, the Cats look to be in pretty good shape from a cap perspective.

FYI Crouse is playing 1st line LW tonight. Lots of depth at LW for Yotes has meant he was on 4the line for most of the 27 games he's played. Last time he slotted in for a shift on the first line he got a goal, so that may be why the tryout tonight.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
FYI Crouse is playing 1st line LW tonight. Lots of depth at LW for Yotes has meant he was on 4the line for most of the 27 games he's played. Last time he slotted in for a shift on the first line he got a goal, so that may be why the tryout tonight.

Great to see for Crouse.

But, injuries are obviously a factor.

Next man up.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/fla161215.html

Found this article on thefourthperiod.com.

I hope something happens. This team is still in the hunt. I know this isn't a championship team but it's very important for this group to continue to make the playoffs. That only helps in the long run. Maybe we get hot and win a round. Ya never know. I hope Tallon brings in a shut down Dman and help in our top 6 forwards. I wouldn't mind Tallib trading some top talent like Borgstrom for a top line player.
It's 5 days old and doesn't really add anything new that hasn't been said already.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

It's a completely different situation.
Chayka has nothing to say. He's just doing the paper work. It's Tippett who's in charge of all hockey decisions. The owners may have a word or two to say as well but certainly not John Chayka.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Bump. GR shared this article today. Some may want to see it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=83808

Pretty good one, he bring it to the Point. In all Ways. In all good things analytics get together and all bad things this Season.

I thing they must sit together and need to talk it out, but Dan is right.
Tallon must be get back the GM Role he had befor. Non of the other once can do it right.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Bump. GR shared this article today. Some may want to see it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=83808

It's a good read. Yeah I think the others have good ideas but they need the filter so we can get the Marches but not the Griffiths. Tallon is someone who commands respect and loyalty. Let Tallon groom them and get them to the point where they can command that same level of respect.

Wait, people think we're losing because Dale doesn't have the GM title? Cmon...

As part of a lack of leadership and direction, yes. Players etc confused on who's in charge and what direction the team is going probably effects performance as well.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Wait, people think we're losing because Dale doesn't have the GM title? Cmon...
I don't think we're losing because we don't have the talent, or because the players aren't capable of doing what they need to do. They need an environment that gives them proper structure and a direction that allows them to do what they have to do to be good in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad