Sportsnet: Talking Calder last night.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Laine is not willing to concede the trophy just yet, but he would needed to outscore Matthews in goals by 5+ or more to earn it as a winger over a 2-way centre. IMO

It's not really all that different from the way it's been all season. They've been comparable offensively but it's the rest of their games that set #34 apart.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Laine is not willing to concede the trophy just yet, but he would needed to outscore Matthews in goals by 5+ or more to earn it as a winger over a 2-way centre. IMO

I wonder if that's really the case though. In reality, is the Calder for the best rookie season or best rookie production? I think it's a blend of the two but more leaning towards the latter.
Had Laine finished the season with 1 more goal and point than Matthews, I could easily see him Laine winning the calder.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's not really all that different from the way it's been all season. They've been comparable offensively but it's the rest of their games that set #34 apart.

So Matthews would hold all tie-breakers essentially if points/goals were similar.

Laine's only case is PPG pace having played less games, but still not enough to offset all the other things a 2-way centre can influence the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad