Player Discussion Talbot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not like the Oilers can hand the keys over to Broissant. There is no other option besides Talbot. It's up to him to turn it around. You'd think that the Oilers would have drafted some goalies during their rebuild. Kind of an important position.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's not like the Oilers can hand the keys over to Broissant. There is no other option besides Talbot. It's up to him to turn it around. You'd think that the Oilers would have drafted some goalies during their rebuild. Kind of an important position.
We did, we just never really scouted any of them...or developed them.

A few more games of Talbot giving up ill-timed softies and you have to wonder what the next move is. Handing Broissoit the keys is more or less calling it IMO. Maybe the Oilers opt for the three-headed goalie monster a'la 2006. The cost of a goalie these days isn't breaking the bank.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
A few more games of Talbot giving up ill-timed softies and you have to wonder what the next move is. Handing Broissoit the keys is more or less calling it IMO. Maybe the Oilers opt for the three-headed goalie monster a'la 2006. The cost of a goalie these days isn't breaking the bank.

The season is pretty much done.

I think the Oilers should split starts between Brossoit and Talbot for the next dozen games or so. Then Chia can decide if he needs to get another goalie now or wait until next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The last two games he allowed in bad goals to start the game, but 20% of the season before that? Gimme a break.

The Oilers have blown defensive coverage and are never prepared to start a game. They either are sloppy to start games or they have some jump but cannot score and then have a series of defensive breakdowns.

Talbot is a good goalie, in the upper half of the league. Talbot is Batman. Batman is great when you're fighting the Joker. He can do that, that's right up his alley.

The problem is the Oilers are asking for freaking Superman right now, and Talbot isn't Superman. Very few goalies are, and if they are that good their cap number starts with an 8+ not a 4.

Give the guy something to work with. Asking him to bail a team out for not being to the score AND defend is asking for way too much. It's not as simple as saying "make a save". He does make saves and the team continues to make mistakes and still continues to not be able to score.

Talbot is not bailing a team out of 20 games of crap play. He can do that for 2-3 game stretches, otherwise the team has to meet him half way and start playing better.

Fact is our D is a trainwreck and a lot of posters don't want to admit it, but they have lost 2/3 of their top pairing D with Sekera gone and Klefbom's brain apparently left behind in Sweden. Nurse should be the no.4 guy on this team. With that massive blow to the D, this is one of the worst defensive groups in the league, and the offence can't score either. Without Sekera and Klefbom they are right back to the Eakins/Mac T era of crap defence.

Make 1-2 big saves a game, OK. Make 5-6, constantly and hold the fort until the team can barely score more than 2 goals and cover for all the errors, turn overs, and multiple odd-man rushes? Nope. Sorry, it ain't happening and it's not that simple. It's simply more easy for fans to digest that than look at the ugly that's going on in other places on the roster.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's simply more easy for fans to digest that than look at the ugly that's going on in other places on the roster.

I don't think that anyone is pinning all of the blame on Talbot, but he has not been a part of the solution for this team. He needs to be better but so does 80-90% of our team and the entire coaching staff.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think that anyone is pinning all of the blame on Talbot, but he has not been a part of the solution for this team. He needs to be better but so does 80-90% of our team and the entire coaching staff.

He's not bailing this team out if they're not going to score and they're not going to defend. That's just too much of an ask. Can his save percentage be better? Yes. Is he going to magically put the Oilers on his shoulders and carry them to the playoffs? No.

That type of goalie is a Dominik Hasek (prime) type of goalie and there's no shame in saying we don't have that, that type of player is exceptionally rare. Again, if this is a job for Batman ... sure ok. But don't be asking for Superman shit, it ain't happening. You need someone to take out the Riddler, great, you want to stop an alien invasion ... yeah ... nope. Not happening.

Dragging a team that can't score or defend into the playoffs is not on Talbot's resume. Being a upper half goalie on a decent team ... OK, that's doable. Right now the Oilers have the worst offence in the league (here's a radical thought ... team's that don't score don't have many leads ... shocking but true) and really do not defend well at all. How many odd man rushes does this team give up on a nightly basis? How many times do they have terrible gap control and let players just skate into the zone and shoot from where ever they please? How many times do forwards blow coverage on back checks? How often do they allow passes straight across the box on the PK?

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The season is pretty much done.

I think the Oilers should split starts between Brossoit and Talbot for the next dozen games or so. Then Chia can decide if he needs to get another goalie now or wait until next season.

No, it isn't.

As I've said before, we only need to finish third in our division. We've played three games against them so far twenty games into the season. Play well against the Pacific, you probably make the playoffs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The last two games he allowed in bad goals to start the game, but 20% of the season before that? Gimme a break.

The Oilers have blown defensive coverage and are never prepared to start a game. They either are sloppy to start games or they have some jump but cannot score and then have a series of defensive breakdowns.

Talbot is a good goalie, in the upper half of the league. Talbot is Batman. Batman is great when you're fighting the Joker. He can do that, that's right up his alley.

The problem is the Oilers are asking for freaking Superman right now, and Talbot isn't Superman. Very few goalies are, and if they are that good their cap number starts with an 8+ not a 4.

Give the guy something to work with. Asking him to bail a team out for not being to the score AND defend is asking for way too much. It's not as simple as saying "make a save". He does make saves and the team continues to make mistakes and still continues to not be able to score.

Talbot is not bailing a team out of 20 games of crap play. He can do that for 2-3 game stretches, otherwise the team has to meet him half way and start playing better.

Fact is our D is a trainwreck and a lot of posters don't want to admit it, but they have lost 2/3 of their top pairing D with Sekera gone and Klefbom's brain apparently left behind in Sweden. Nurse should be the no.4 guy on this team. With that massive blow to the D, this is one of the worst defensive groups in the league, and the offence can't score either. Without Sekera and Klefbom they are right back to the Eakins/Mac T era of crap defence.

Make 1-2 big saves a game, OK. Make 5-6, constantly and hold the fort until the team can barely score more than 2 goals and cover for all the errors, turn overs, and multiple odd-man rushes? Nope. Sorry, it ain't happening and it's not that simple. It's simply more easy for fans to digest that than look at the ugly that's going on in other places on the roster.

He's only started 18 games. 20% of 18 is 3.6. Talbot has easily allowed 4 bad first goals of the game, and has done it in each of the last 2 games.

The team defence has not been as good this year, but Talbot has also been far worse than last year. If I went through all his goals against this year I bet I'd find almost as many, or at least more than half as many weak goals as he let in last year combined. He needs to be better plain and simple, just like the team in front of him needs to be better.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No, it isn't.

As I've said before, we only need to finish third in our division. We've played three games against them so far twenty games into the season. Play well against the Pacific, you probably make the playoffs.

The Oilers have been 5-10-2 outside the Pacific and 2-1-0 against the pacific. 25 games left against the Pacific and 37 outside the division. Say the Oilers split the remaining games outside the Pacific 18-18-1 and need 95 points to make the playoffs.

I guess 20-3-2 is possible but that's what they would have to do. It will take way, way more than simply playing well against the Pacific at this point is what I'm saying.

Somehow the Oilers need to get 79 points in their final 62 games to scrape into the playoffs.

38 - 21- 3 is pretty much a bare minimum for the rest of the Oilers season to make the playoffs.

I really hope I am wrong about this, but I can't see it happening for the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's only started 18 games. 20% of 18 is 3.6. Talbot has easily allowed 4 bad first goals of the game, and has done it in each of the last 2 games.

The team defence has not been as good this year, but Talbot has also been far worse than last year. If I went through all his goals against this year I bet I'd find almost as many, or at least more than half as many weak goals as he let in last year combined. He needs to be better plain and simple, just like the team in front of him needs to be better.

"Not been as good" is understatement. Without Sekera and with Klefbom playing as Mark Fayne the team D is effectively back to the level of the Eakins days more or less. That's 2/3 top D gone.

Talbot is not a "carry an entire team on his shoulders" type goalie. He needs to be given something to work with. And I don't think it's happening in time this year. Klefbom just looks like he is going to play brain dead all year like he needs a full year of mental diherrhea to be flushed out of his brain.

Sekera likely is going to need until probably mid-January before he feels comfortable again if not longer.

Talbot is not fixing this. Like I said, there are jobs Batman can do and Batman is damn valuable. But if you're asking him to be Superman, you're asking for way too freaking much.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Talbot has been below average for the Oilers for sure. Those first goal softies are getting absolutely heartbreaking. In a league that has such a huge advantage by scoring first you just can't let those first goals from behind the goal line get you. How many times has he done that this year? Got to be 4 at least I would think? That is 20%+ of the games he has played this year... That's a lot. Plus other softies during the rest of the game.

I can't say he has been terrible overall because he has played some damn good hockey as well, but he certainly has not been good overall this year either.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Damn it would make a real case putting in broissant tomorrow already. And then come back with that talbot thang against the red wings. Could work out nicely and juicely.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
"Not been as good" is understatement. Without Sekera and with Klefbom playing as Mark Fayne the team D is effectively back to the level of the Eakins days more or less. That's 2/3 top D gone.

Talbot is not a "carry an entire team on his shoulders" type goalie. He needs to be given something to work with. And I don't think it's happening in time this year. Klefbom just looks like he is going to play brain dead all year like he needs a full year of mental diherrhea to be flushed out of his brain.

Sekera likely is going to need until probably mid-January before he feels comfortable again if not longer.

Talbot is not fixing this. Like I said, there are jobs Batman can do and Batman is damn valuable. But if you're asking him to be Superman, you're asking for way too freaking much.
Regardless of what support he's getting, he's letting in far more weak goals this year. Thats something he needs to get out of his game and its something that wasn't there last year. Those weak goals aren't on the D, those are on Talbot.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Talbot has been below average for the Oilers for sure. Those first goal softies are getting absolutely heartbreaking. In a league that has such a huge advantage by scoring first you just can't let those first goals from behind the goal line get you. How many times has he done that this year? Got to be 4 at least I would think? That is 20%+ of the games he has played this year... That's a lot. Plus other softies during the rest of the game.

I can't say he has been terrible overall because he has played some damn good hockey as well, but he certainly has not been good overall this year either.
Good post. He hasn't been bad outside of those soft goals, but those soft goals are occurring far too frequently to win hockey games. If I went back and watched every goal he's let in I can guarantee he's let in at least 4 abysmal first goals, and at least 10-15 goals ranging from abysmal to "should have had it/would want that one back". He's been good for a weak goal in almost every single game this season, or at minimum the majority of the games.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Talbot is essentially Oilers Dubnyk 2.0. Can shine throughout the game but a couple of softies and you're already screwed. And given that only 3 players are generating any semblance of offence, there goes the game

Reactions: Aerchon

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

sorry man, disagree...he let in softies in Vancouver, against the Sens, garbage against Detroit and Washington at home
he must lead the league in "1st shot goals"
the Oilers as a team give up the 9th fewest shots in the league his save % in .903 good for 46th in the league
not good enough despite the excuses

Reactions: GMofOilers

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
sorry man, disagree...he let in softies in Vancouver, against the Sens, garbage against Detroit and Washington at home
he must lead the league in "1st shot goals"
the Oilers as a team give up the 9th fewest shots in the league his save % in .903 good for 46th in the league
not good enough despite the excuses
happened again lol
Not fault I know but it’s insane

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
It's another thing Chia didn't do, get a decent backup. They've given Talbot all that rope because they feel they have no other reasonable option.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Clear they had all their eggs in the Talbot basket and his numbers are the worst of his entire professional career. I happen to think it is due to team defense overall being worse, but he isn't stealing any games to help them out.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Clear they had all their eggs in the Talbot basket and his numbers are the worst of his entire professional career. I happen to think it is due to team defense overall being worse, but he isn't stealing any games to help them out.
Team defence doesn't explain a weak goal per game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Team defense is why he has been scored on from behind the net like 3 times this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad