Talbot Named NHL First Star of the Week

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, but the Oilers are going nowhere unless they finally get a starting goaltender. At least that's what all the experts are telling me.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So Chiarelli landed Talbot, Kassian, Maroon so far for almost nothing

No 2nd round picks in 2015 but with Bear/Jonbes/Paigin all looking really good it makes up for it

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
So Chiarelli landed Talbot, Kassian, Maroon so far for almost nothing

No 2nd round picks in 2015 but with Bear/Jonbes/Paigin all looking really good it makes up for it

And Sekera.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're talking trades only.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
How happy and relieved are you guys feeling now that Talbot has re-signed with the Oilers? I'd be pretty worried and stressed out about losing him this summer to a team like Calgary.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How happy and relieved are you guys feeling now that Talbot has re-signed with the Oilers? I'd be pretty worried and stressed out about losing him this summer to a team like Calgary.

Pretty happy haha. I know some were down on how much he got on the contract, but I was never worried. After a crappy stretch that consisted of a lot of goals caused by easily correctable issues, he's been a beast for us.

.930 SV% over his last 21 games.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well deserved

If he can keep this up, we might have one of the goaltending stars of the league on our hands once Chia fixes up the defense.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You acquire enough goalie (Fasth, Scrivens, Nilsson, Talbot) eventually youll find a starter

Have Talbot as #1 for next 2 years, maybe Brossoit develops enough by then to challenge him

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You acquire enough goalie (Fasth, Scrivens, Nilsson, Talbot) eventually youll find a starter

Have Talbot as #1 for next 2 years, maybe Brossoit develops enough by then to challenge him

You hire enough gm's eventually one of them will find a goalie:sarcasm:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Sweet! Congrats to Talbot :handclap:

Too bad this isn't worthy of a thread on the mains :sarcasm:

I just don't understand. How is Talbot's play not worthy of discussion? Nylander scored a goal, Karlsson's ice time is too low, poor Brooks Laich, all super thread worthy, but not the great play of an Oiler player. What a crock.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Pretty happy haha. I know some were down on how much he got on the contract, but I was never worried. After a crappy stretch that consisted of a lot of goals caused by easily correctable issues, he's been a beast for us.

.930 SV% over his last 21 games.

That is troubling that the team has only been able to win nine of those 21 games despite a .930 save percentage from their goaltender.

The Joker*

You sign enough defensemen eventually one of them will be good?

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
You sign enough defensemen eventually one of them will be good?

The problem is, they don't necessarily need defencemen who can only defend. A .930 save percentage should be enough to win more than half your games. They need defencemen who can defend and also move the puck. Two top pairing defencemen who can do this. That could be difficult.

The Joker*

If you sign 100 Grebeshkovs, how many of them turn out to be that top pairing dman?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I just don't understand. How is Talbot's play not worthy of discussion? Nylander scored a goal, Karlsson's ice time is too low, poor Brooks Laich, all super thread worthy, but not the great play of an Oiler player. What a crock.

I guess 11 threads about individual players would be 1 too many.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Food for thought: Talbot has played 22 games this season with a .915 save percentage or greater. The Oilers are 14-5-3 in those games.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That is troubling that the team has only been able to win nine of those 21 games despite a .930 save percentage from their goaltender.

9-10-2 isn't terrible considering Klefbom wasn't in for any of those game, and Nuge was only in for 3 (with McDavid not in for 5).

Big issue at the time was Jultz and Purcell bringing down his line. Maroon's given the line some new life. At the end of the day its clear we need a couple D to get over the hump, and hopefully thats coming this summer.

Also to clarify I don't just mean D to defend, we need more offensive production from D. We're dead last in the league in that department.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He is terrific.

It was too positive for an Oilers main board thread.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad