Talbot lets one in from centre ice

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Go to HF Oil, he is very much getting a ton of blame. Not to mention Bronx cheers when he made a save at the game.

He has had a bad start, I still think competition for goalies is a good thing. He absolutely earned the starter role but there wasn't even a question going into camp. Talbot struggled like this last year but the Oilers had Nilsson to bail them out.

Chia was imo wrong to give him full confidence by having Gustavsson as a back up. There were better options that would have at least pushed him to be better.

Do you even understand goaltending.

Goalies stop the shots that get to them.
and
save the ones that are targeted at open areas in the net.

puck that hit a goalie were never going to go in.

75% of goals come form on average 10.5 High scoring chance shots in a game.

Talbot faced 23 shots in the game.
21 HSC shots 2 LSC shots.

1 that hit him and one that bounced to an open hole situation.

HSC shot results are driven by the shots targeted at open holes.

there are a whole collection of shots directed into blocker; glove; chest protector and pads that a goalie does not have to move on.

These are closed hole shots. They have 0% chance of going in.

Talbot faced twice as many HSC shots as a goalie should in a Game.
so he should have given up 5 GA in the game.

He had one bounce ang redirect to an open hole in the net.

Elite dmen like Larsson usually give up 2.1 HSC shots in 18 min EVTOI.

the guy faced 7 in 20 minutes of EV, PP, PK

that game was Awful defensively.

Could be worse could have been the OTT goalie in the Toronto Ott game.
One of the worst in the modern era.

You kind of want the best HSCA save5 golaies in the game.
when you look at the last 3 years al lsituations.
1. Price .8404
2. Schnieder .8356
3. Halak .8332
4. Jones .8294
5. Elliot .8275
6. Holtby .8273
7. Crawford .8262
8. Talbot .8253
9. Bernier .8216
10. Mrazek .8183
The 1st and 3rd games GA were all about the Dmen.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Maybe so, but the defense is way better than last year with Klefbom and Larsson and McDavid can probably outscore the defensive troubles in most of the games.

Houston_crop_north.jpg

Gets tougher to split D and sprint up and down the ice in the playoffs, will be interesting to see how Connor plays when points matter more. The defense needs heavy work and 97's overall game needs to rapidly improve if you want him to CARRY the team in tight games. Will also need Talbot to hit a hot streak at the right time - if you have the faith that he can do so.

Sweet name, LOST was boss.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Larsson is an elite defenseman?

Elite is a stretch, there are a handful of defensemen I consider elite. I will leave to judge until we are a bit further in the season, but he has impressed me a great deal so far. Better than I thought he was, he rarely makes a mistake out there and has all of the tools to be an impact defenseman, aside from his shot maybe. He doesn't shoot often enough to gauge that yet.

Still waiting to see if he is as good as Devils fans said he was.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
This is more like Vesa Toskala's gaffe against the Islanders than a mental mistake. A bouncing puck is hard to predict. The best one can do is get the body in front of it.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Said during the Summer Talbot is just a mediocre backup and Oiler fans kept pumping up his tires and saying we don't need a goaltender.Oilers go nowhere with Talbot as a starter. :shakehead

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Do you even understand goaltending.

Goalies stop the shots that get to them.
and
save the ones that are targeted at open areas in the net.

puck that hit a goalie were never going to go in.

75% of goals come form on average 10.5 High scoring chance shots in a game.

Talbot faced 23 shots in the game.
21 HSC shots 2 LSC shots.

1 that hit him and one that bounced to an open hole situation.

HSC shot results are driven by the shots targeted at open holes.

there are a whole collection of shots directed into blocker; glove; chest protector and pads that a goalie does not have to move on.

These are closed hole shots. They have 0% chance of going in.

Talbot faced twice as many HSC shots as a goalie should in a Game.
so he should have given up 5 GA in the game.

He had one bounce ang redirect to an open hole in the net.

Elite dmen like Larsson usually give up 2.1 HSC shots in 18 min EVTOI.

the guy faced 7 in 20 minutes of EV, PP, PK

that game was Awful defensively.

Could be worse could have been the OTT goalie in the Toronto Ott game.
One of the worst in the modern era.

You kind of want the best HSCA save5 golaies in the game.
when you look at the last 3 years al lsituations.
1. Price .8404
2. Schnieder .8356
3. Halak .8332
4. Jones .8294
5. Elliot .8275
6. Holtby .8273
7. Crawford .8262
8. Talbot .8253
9. Bernier .8216
10. Mrazek .8183
The 1st and 3rd games GA were all about the Dmen.

Advanced stats are fine and all but results are all that matters. Out of those 10 goalies, only 1 has won a cup as a starter in their career.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
Advanced stats are fine and all but results are all that matters. Out of those 10 goalies, only 1 has won a cup as a starter in their career.

Right, I also don't understand why the Stanley cup is awarded to the whole team when it's clearly a goaltender's award.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
jesus...4.1mil for the next 3 years. And he's 29...had no idea he was so old.

Yikes...just...yikes.

With that, I said MAF to the Oilers a bunch but they all said no. Now with them paying 4.1mil per, no way can they add MAF - ignoring NMCs.

MM could be of interest though. And you have the Puljujarvi guy...would take quite the add to get Murray but...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gonna be funny to watch people eat crow in this thread.

Talbot is a good goalie, maybe not elite, but he's good, he will bounce back.

Dude's wife is expecting their first child (twins actually) this week, it was a ****** game, but I can understand that his head might not be in the right place. It sucks, but they are human beings, not video game characters, sometimes personal issues impact on ice focus.

Crappy thing about being a goalie is if you're only 99% on instead of 100% it shows up a helluva lot more than if you're a forward or D-Man where other people can cover for your mistakes.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Talbot will be fine. We hung him out to dry way more last season and he still put up some good numbers. He will find his game. He has not been all bad in these past three games. He just has to get a consistent focus going. The same thing happened to him last season early on. That's not great, but at least it gives some reason to believe that he will be better. We have a much better defense this year, so I think he will find his game much quicker than last year.

It would be good if we had a great back up. It looks like Gustavsson is injured so we're going with the rookie there.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Gonna be funny to watch people eat crow in this thread.

Talbot is a good goalie, maybe not elite, but he's good, he will bounce back.

Dude's wife is expecting their first child (twins actually) this week, it was a ****** game, but I can understand that his head might not be in the right place. It sucks, but they are human beings, not video game characters, sometimes personal issues impact on ice focus.

Crappy thing about being a goalie is if you're only 99% on instead of 100% it shows up a helluva lot more than if you're a forward or D-Man where other people can cover for your mistakes.
Yeah, lots of underestimating him in this thread. He had a .914 save percentage behind the poor Oilers D last year.

Also, one thing to note, he's 3rd in the league for save percentage while shorthanded for goalies who played 60% of the season and up. Just behind Bishop and Allen. Allen played 10 less games though, so only Bishop played more and had better stats shorthanded.

Just shows how playing for the Oilers D last year made him have better stats while shorthanded. More practice I guess, since playing behind that d is kind of like being shorthanded even when theyre not.

Also really shows how good Bishop is. All other goalies have a much bigger save % drop when they're killing penalties. Bishop is the only guy to be above 0.9 shorthanded. Guys like Holtby, Schneider and Crawford drop to .878, .887 and .862 (all below Talbot by the way. Not saying he's a better tender, but its interesting).

Edit: But yeah. Talbot hasnt been good so far this season

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I haven't seen Talbot enough to truly pass judgement. He doesn't seem to have the aura of a number one goalie though, but I guess that comes with winning games.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
What was Dubnyk's save % while with Edmonton? His average while with Edmonton, behind even worse D than Talbot got last year? I think Talbot will be fine once the Oilers D get their feet under them a bit and their forwards figure out how to pitch in more. Every goalie has a horrible game a few times a season.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Elite is a stretch, there are a handful of defensemen I consider elite. I will leave to judge until we are a bit further in the season, but he has impressed me a great deal so far. Better than I thought he was, he rarely makes a mistake out there and has all of the tools to be an impact defenseman, aside from his shot maybe. He doesn't shoot often enough to gauge that yet.

Still waiting to see if he is as good as Devils fans said he was.

lol.... Elite isnt a stretch, its wishfull thinking. He isnt close to elite. Decent #2 at best.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
What was Dubnyk's save % while with Edmonton? His average while with Edmonton, behind even worse D than Talbot got last year? I think Talbot will be fine once the Oilers D get their feet under them a bit and their forwards figure out how to pitch in more. Every goalie has a horrible game a few times a season.

Why would you say Dubnyk played behind worse dmen? I'd argue that what Talbot played behind last year was as bad as anything Dubnyk had to play behind.

Talbot played great last year. He's been shakey this year but it happens. He'll turn it around.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Why would you say Dubnyk played behind worse dmen? I'd argue that what Talbot played behind last year was as bad as anything Dubnyk had to play behind.

Talbot played great last year. He's been shakey this year but it happens. He'll turn it around.

You think so? Honestly it's all pretty similar. But Talbot had Klef for a bit at least.
The point is that it's not exactly easy to look decent as a goaltender in EDM. I think Talbot is getting unfairly criticized much as Dubnyk was.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
You think so? Honestly it's all pretty similar. But Talbot had Klef for a bit at least.
The point is that it's not exactly easy to look decent as a goaltender in EDM. I think Talbot is getting unfairly criticized much as Dubnyk was.

Yea, I agree it was similar. Thats why I said "as bad". Dubnyk had Whitney for a bit when he was playing fantastic defence (unless I'm getting my years mixed up).

Anyone criticizing Talbot is stupid anyways. He played 59 games and put up decent stats behind a very poor d-core last year. Thats all you can ask. He did his job. He hasnt played well this season so far but no-one should be criticizing him after last year.

Dubnyk needed to progress but was regressing right up to being traded from the Oilers. His last season there he was horrible. He needed a fresh start and obviously got one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00