Confirmed with Link: Tage Thompson agrees to 3-year entry-level deal

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You need to get 'chu a man that can do both!

Haha yup! That's exactly who I thought of when I was typing it out. I just personally would want the degree. What if your NHL career or even minor league career doesn't work out? Injury or otherwise. Just makes sense to me to be educated. Not saying Tage is dumb or anything but a degree is important. I know they can always go back and get it.

No hate here, to each their own and I am excited for the kid.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The most interesting aspect is Armstrong saying that we still view him as a centre.

If that is the case, then I imagine that he'll be playing centre in the AHL next season. I still see him as a RW, and that isn't a terrible thing given our RW depth. A lot is going to depend on roster moves, but I expect him to make a strong push for a RW roster spot in camp.

As long as he doesn't get pushed around, and he obviously has the size that you'd hope that isn't an issue, then his shot alone is going to put him in contention.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
The most interesting aspect is Armstrong saying that we still view him as a centre.

If that is the case, then I imagine that he'll be playing centre in the AHL next season. I still see him as a RW, and that isn't a terrible thing given our RW depth. A lot is going to depend on roster moves, but I expect him to make a strong push for a RW roster spot in camp.

As long as he doesn't get pushed around, and he obviously has the size that you'd hope that isn't an issue, then his shot alone is going to put him in contention.

TBH if BBshv can stay a #2/3C next year, I would like to see TT at RW. I think it would create a better team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hopefully Thompson can be ready for top 9 center duty in 18/19, that would really allow us to just dump Lehtera with either a buyout or big retention. If the idea is that once Barbashev or Thompson is NHL ready to take Lehtera's spot and match or hopefully exceed his production, a buyout or max retention will still save us cap space.

Another thing is for sure, management will need to make strong decisions on Jaskin, Paajarvi, Yakupov, etc. Now with Sanford and Barbashev in the mix and Thompson close as well, we don't have room for this many 3rd line developmental players. We have to move on from the failed projects.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Hopefully Thompson can be ready for top 9 center duty in 18/19, that would really allow us to just dump Lehtera with either a buyout or big retention. If the idea is that once Barbashev or Thompson is NHL ready to take Lehtera's spot and match or hopefully exceed his production, a buyout or max retention will still save us cap space.

Another thing is for sure, management will need to make strong decisions on Jaskin, Paajarvi, Yakupov, etc. Now with Sanford and Barbashev in the mix and Thompson close as well, we don't have room for this many 3rd line developmental players. We have to move on from the failed projects.

Of those three players, only Jaskin is under contract next year. I don't see any way Yak gets a qualifying offer so color him gone. Magnus might get a QO, and that would be ok, or he might just say screw it and go back to Europe which would save Army from having to decide. Throw Jaskin into the first trade that comes up then spend a few minutes thinking about what might have been with the kid.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Haha yup! That's exactly who I thought of when I was typing it out. I just personally would want the degree. What if your NHL career or even minor league career doesn't work out? Injury or otherwise. Just makes sense to me to be educated. Not saying Tage is dumb or anything but a degree is important. I know they can always go back and get it.

No hate here, to each their own and I am excited for the kid.

You bring up an interesting thought. I wonder if Tage will be finishing out his degree like Parayko did or even if he'll be finishing this semester's classes. I could definitely see a kid looking at finals being a few weeks away and thinking, "hmm...I could stay in school and study for finals or I could take this signing bonus from the Blues and go play pro hockey." And most would easily take the 2nd option. But he could still finish out his classes if he really wanted too. Anyone know his plans on that?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I appreciate guys more if they stay in school and get their degree but lots of them don't do that. Regardless, I am cool with this contract. Hope he can have a good NHL career and be a star for the Blues.

How do you know he won't continue his education?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
While I'm excited about this and hopeful for the future I'm wondering if we aren't getting ahead of ourselves. Tage was just shy of ppg this year, for perspective didn't Kyle Connor come close to 2 ppg his draft plus 1? I know different schools and stuff but it's tough for me as someone who doesn't get to watch college hockey to look at his stats compared to some really successful college players of the last few years and say that he has the production to be ready to be an impact in the NHL. Hopefully I'm wrong.

A fair point. Tage is a good prospect but certainly not an elite one. I see his potential as being borderline 2nd/3rd line. So certainly a very valuable player but not a true difference maker.

I wouldn't get too hung up on points specifically though. Tage played on a pretty weak team that didn't score a ton.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
A fair point. Tage is a good prospect but certainly not an elite one. I see his potential as being borderline 2nd/3rd line. So certainly a very valuable player but not a true difference maker.

I wouldn't get too hung up on points specifically though. Tage played on a pretty weak team that didn't score a ton.

Good, but not elite is fair. One thing I was very pleased to see is that he actually scored a bit at even strength this season.

As most of us were acutely aware, last year 13 out of his 14 goals were scored on the PP. This year he remained a weapon on the PP, scoring 7 power play goals, but added 12 goals at even strength on top of that. We all know he has that one timer from the left circle down pat, but he needs to be able to use that shot effectively while at even strength to be a valuable player.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
TBH if BBshv can stay a #2/3C next year, I would like to see TT at RW. I think it would create a better team.

Our only hope of being good is if Barbs can play as a #2 Center, We already have our #3 center locked up for years in Bergland (He is a 3 and nothing more)

If our Centers are

Stas - Good #2
Barbs - Avg #2
Berg - Good #3

We can be mirror our 15/16 team that almost mad it to the finals. I am not a religious man but I have been praying that Vegas takes Lehtara. We still would not have a #1 Center but we could be back to a two #2s and a 3 instead of this year with us running with one #2 and two #3s.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Our only hope of being good is if Barbs can play as a #2 Center, We already have our #3 center locked up for years in Bergland (He is a 3 and nothing more)

If our Centers are

Stas - Good #2
Barbs - Avg #2
Berg - Good #3

We can be mirror our 15/16 team that almost mad it to the finals. I am not a religious man but I have been praying that Vegas takes Lehtara. We still would not have a #1 Center but we could be back to a two #2s and a 3 instead of this year with us running with one #2 and two #3s.

Jordan Kyrou is our team's Rodney Dangerfield... no respect at all :laugh:. I know it's early, I know he's got a long way to go, but I think Kyrou has a chance to be that #1C we've all been waiting for. It's a remote chance, but it's there. He's got the speed and puckhandling to hang with Fabbri on the rush, and he's creative enough to feed Tarasenko and get him open. If he can add a little bulk and show that he can handle himself along the boards, the sky's the limit for this kid.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Jordan Kyrou is our team's Rodney Dangerfield... no respect at all :laugh:. I know it's early, I know he's got a long way to go, but I think Kyrou has a chance to be that #1C we've all been waiting for. It's a remote chance, but it's there. He's got the speed and puckhandling to hang with Fabbri on the rush, and he's creative enough to feed Tarasenko and get him open. If he can add a little bulk and show that he can handle himself along the boards, the sky's the limit for this kid.

I honestly do not know enough about him, I will have to do some research because I could really use some hope :laugh:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would be incredibly surprised if Kyrou developed into a #1 C. Incredibly happy but also very surprised. I won't say never but maybe a 5% chance? That seems too lofty. I'll go with a 3% chance. And probably a 15-20% chance he busts and has a Rattie level of career.

I see him as a kid with 2nd line potential but if I'm being honest, I see him more as a wing as a pro than as a C. He's really going to need to improve his defensive game, coverage, play without the puck, etc. if he's going to want to stick at C at the pro level. He's taken a good step this season but we need to remember that that sort of growth should happen for a kid that has legit NHL potential. He's very fast and has good skills and playmaking ability but we shouldn't just ignore his weaknesses. I've already mentioned his defensive game but he also had a weak shot. It's simply not NHL quality. He's really going to need to improve that or defenders at the pro game are going to overly cover the pass and make him shoot his weak shot. He needs to improve his shot to remain a dual-threat at the pro level. He's also still pretty skinny but that's normal for a kid his age.

So the good news is that these are all things he can definitely improve and defensive play and small size are absolutely normal weaknesses for a teenage player that many overcome but I think his weak shot is a weakness that is a legit concern regarding his longterm development. He absolutely can overcome these weaknesses but there's no guarantee, thus he as a prospect is no guarantee either.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I would be incredibly surprised if Kyrou developed into a #1 C. Incredibly happy but also very surprised. I won't say never but maybe a 5% chance? That seems too lofty. I'll go with a 3% chance. And probably a 15-20% chance he busts and has a Rattie level of career.

I see him as a kid with 2nd line potential but if I'm being honest, I see him more as a wing as a pro than as a C. He's really going to need to improve his defensive game, coverage, play without the puck, etc. if he's going to want to stick at C at the pro level. He's taken a good step this season but we need to remember that that sort of growth should happen for a kid that has legit NHL potential. He's very fast and has good skills and playmaking ability but we shouldn't just ignore his weaknesses. I've already mentioned his defensive game but he also had a weak shot. It's simply not NHL quality. He's really going to need to improve that or defenders at the pro game are going to overly cover the pass and make him shoot his weak shot. He needs to improve his shot to remain a dual-threat at the pro level. He's also still pretty skinny but that's normal for a kid his age.

So the good news is that these are all things he can definitely improve and defensive play and small size are absolutely normal weaknesses for a teenage player that many overcome but I think his weak shot is a weakness that is a legit concern regarding his longterm development. He absolutely can overcome these weaknesses but there's no guarantee, thus he as a prospect is no guarantee either.

I think that's a little pessimistic, but you could be right. I agree that we shouldn't ignore his weaknesses, he's got a lot to work on but with the raw skill that's already there, if he can work his tail off over the next 2 years, and then work with Berube (hoping he sticks around for awhile), he's going to be something special. The stuff he does to get the puck to the middle of the ice... you can't teach that. I think his shot is pretty good, it could certainly use some work but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be I don't think.

His highlight reel is very impressive, and it shows that his main weakness is along the boards. He's sneaky elusive in front of the net and on the cycle, which is huge. A lot of the stuff he does here he won't be able to pull off in the NHL, but of course he's going to have to evolve to be a 1C anyways, that's the expectation here. One more disclaimer, this is obviously a highlight reel, so it doesn't show his mistakes and flubs. Watch for #25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIhK27M7-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnGo7Q2CK-Y

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be very happy with a Pierre-Marc Bouchard type career from Kyrou, just a healthier one.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I appreciate guys more if they stay in school and get their degree but lots of them don't do that. Regardless, I am cool with this contract. Hope he can have a good NHL career and be a star for the Blues.

I was reading an article (maybe I read it wrong), from his UConn coach that said he only had a few units left to complete his degree and plans on doing that this summer regardless of him signing or not.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
While I'm excited about this and hopeful for the future I'm wondering if we aren't getting ahead of ourselves. Tage was just shy of ppg this year, for perspective didn't Kyle Connor come close to 2 ppg his draft plus 1? I know different schools and stuff but it's tough for me as someone who doesn't get to watch college hockey to look at his stats compared to some really successful college players of the last few years and say that he has the production to be ready to be an impact in the NHL. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Kyle Connor also played for U of Mich, which had far more firepower than UCONN. All UCONN has was Thompson and Letunov, to U of Mich having Motte (Chi), Connor, Compher (Buf), and Werenki (CBJ) all at or above a point per game.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I was reading an article (maybe I read it wrong), from his UConn coach that said he only had a few units left to complete his degree and plans on doing that this summer regardless of him signing or not.

Awesome, I love seeing how similar Thompson and Parayko are in accordance with their schooling.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think that's a little pessimistic, but you could be right. I agree that we shouldn't ignore his weaknesses, he's got a lot to work on but with the raw skill that's already there, if he can work his tail off over the next 2 years, and then work with Berube (hoping he sticks around for awhile), he's going to be something special. The stuff he does to get the puck to the middle of the ice... you can't teach that. I think his shot is pretty good, it could certainly use some work but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be I don't think.

His highlight reel is very impressive, and it shows that his main weakness is along the boards. He's sneaky elusive in front of the net and on the cycle, which is huge. A lot of the stuff he does here he won't be able to pull off in the NHL, but of course he's going to have to evolve to be a 1C anyways, that's the expectation here. One more disclaimer, this is obviously a highlight reel, so it doesn't show his mistakes and flubs. Watch for #25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIhK27M7-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnGo7Q2CK-Y

I'm aware of his highlights and I'll hope that my evaluations of him end up being wrong and pessimistic but I'll stand by my take. In reading a lot of your posts, my take is you overrate a lot of our prospects.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm aware of his highlights and I'll hope that my evaluations of him end up being wrong and pessimistic but I'll stand by my take. In reading a lot of your posts, my take is you overrate a lot of our prospects.

That's fair enough, you could be right. I will say in my defense tho, that I've been (purely from my POV) one of the few posters to stand by Blais, who is turning out better than most expected, and was one of the few posters to ID Rattie for what he ultimately is. Not to mention Tansey, who I singled out when he came to prospect camp on an invite last summer, and he's turned out significantly better than Vannelli, who a lot of posters were all about. I'm not perfect, and nobody is compelled to agree with my opinions. But I always try to make my arguments clear and support them with data, which is better than just whining incessantly about "why don't we just draft better players" like nobody's ever thought about that before. Re: Kyrou, I just find it hard to look at a player who is closing in on 100 pts and is top 5 in OHL scoring and say "meh, not worth getting excited about."

But you're right, I do tend to give a lot of credit to guys that will probably top out at top 6, and that isn't a super common position to take around here.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
For the record, I'm actually like Kyrou quite a bit. He's very skilled and very fast and has legit potential. But he also has legit weaknesses and I think we need to pump the brakes on him a bit is all.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Good to hear!

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Is there any word yet of when Tage will get in a Wolves game, or even report to the team for practice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad