Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 27798

Is Thompson still waivers exempt next season? If so, I don't care what kind of training camp he has, I'd send him down until at least the end of the calendar year, with the promise that if he improves his game, he'll be back with the big club when the calendar turns 2020.

This is how bad he has been.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So long Meat Missile.

Rochester will hate your ineffective over-dangling as much as we did.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
it is honestly so frightening. how late to the party can our gm be? This should have been done months ago... and makes 0 sense to ruin the tank now. Laughable management.
We knew Tage was going to get sent down eventually considering the paper transaction to make him eligible for the AHL playoffs. Not sure why this is drawing more ire than necessary.

I get that realistically it should've happened a while ago, but it doesn't make "zero sense" now. The Sabres season is toast (not that he was necessarily helping it not be toast)... so let him get acclimated with his teammates in Rochester before the playoffs begin.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Heh. They did the right thing.

Even if this is late, it gives the Amerks a scoring line player while two of their regulars are up on recall in Nylander and Olofsson. It puts Thompson on the roster prior to the start of the playoffs, gives him a chance to settle in with his new teammates and find himself a bit rather than walking in on day one of the playoffs and displacing someone who has worked all season to get Rochester to the playoffs. Instead, he can work in, do somethings to help in what remains of the regular season and hopefully get to work on the areas that he so desperately need - puck security, decision making, and body position.

So... this again chips away at my resignation at them consistently doing the wrong/worst thing.

Reactions: Rasmi and Montag DP

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
We knew Tage was going to get sent down eventually considering the paper transaction to make him eligible for the AHL playoffs. Not sure why this is drawing more ire than necessary.

I get that realistically it should've happened a while ago, but it doesn't make "zero sense" now. The Sabres season is toast (not that he was necessarily helping it not be toast)... so let him get acclimated with his teammates in Rochester before the playoffs begin.
You also have to view it from the side of our players in Rochester being in an awesome environment and then literally thrown into Helheim. hopefully they can get back into a grove fast enough for the playoffs. Taking Nylander, VO and Borgen messes with the Amerks chemistry.

Deleted member 27798

I truly believe they have brought up Borgen, Nylander and Olofsson, hoping that they do something special in these last handful of games, and then they will tout them as the the next group of youngsters who will be here next season to turn things around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We still have that 1st round pick for O'Reilly. :whatever:

Cool, hope one day that guy can be half as good as O'Reilly is right now. But given the position in the draft and Buffalo's struggles at regularly turning up dynamic players in that position over multiple regimes... I'm not holding my breath the three or four years that will likely take to unfold.

Reactions: sabremike

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
You also have to view it from the side of our players in Rochester being in an awesome environment and then literally thrown into Helheim. hopefully they can get back into a grove fast enough for the playoffs. Taking Nylander, VO and Borgen messes with the Amerks chemistry.
Not to defend anything... but chemistry-wise I think the Amerks would be in an even worse spot if Nylander, VO and Borgen (among others) were plucked up regularly throughout the NHL season to replace underperforming vets. Which may be why Botts felt it better to save the majority of these 'cup of coffee' callups and personnel changes for the end of the year barring injuries/emergencies.

Of course, I realize kids like Thompson and Mitts were treated differently so it throws the whole theory off. And we're wasting Eichel's prime years and Dahlin's ELC. Botts apologist. Yadda yadda yadda. Whatever. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC

I don't really agree with this, they won't be up for very long. Most of those guys will probably start in Buffalo next year, so they wanna briefly see what they can do. The idea is they do well and go back to the minors with that experience and have success in the AHL playoffs. Yes Buffalo sucks in their respective league compared to Rochester, but the kids want to make the NHL.

We all knew Tage was gonna get sent down before the season was over, I'm just glad they didn't wait too long to do it. He'll have 8 games down there to get settled in and build some chemistry, and also displace the talent that's currently up in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Chainshot

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Heh. They did the right thing.

Even if this is late, it gives the Amerks a scoring line player while two of their regulars are up on recall in Nylander and Olofsson. It puts Thompson on the roster prior to the start of the playoffs, gives him a chance to settle in with his new teammates and find himself a bit rather than walking in on day one of the playoffs and displacing someone who has worked all season to get Rochester to the playoffs. Instead, he can work in, do somethings to help in what remains of the regular season and hopefully get to work on the areas that he so desperately need - puck security, decision making, and body position.

So... this again chips away at my resignation at them consistently doing the wrong/worst thing.

It gives him more time with Chris Taylor which is another plus. The skill level is definitely there, hopefully Taylor and his staff can help refine it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Here is an exclusive picture of Tage being brought into Blue Cross Arena:

FB_IMG_1553282756055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad