Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Happy he is there now to at least get used to the team somewhat before the playoffs.

Great job Botts and Phil!!!!
Can he play in the playoffs since he was up at the deadline? Or was he one of those paper transactions that got sent down but not really

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can he play in the playoffs since he was up at the deadline? Or was he one of those paper transactions that got sent down but not really
He was a paper transaction. If he weren't, they wouldn't even be able to send him to Rochester.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Wow. How this can't be a huge ego blow for him. Hopefully he can help Roch in the playoffs.

I think he's happy to get away from that depressing mess. When he was asked about the impending demotion about 2 weeks ago he seemed to accept it well.

Tage Thompson knows what he needs in order to unlock his...
Although Thompson hasn’t played at all in the American Hockey League this season, the Sabres made sure at the trade deadline that he’d be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs. Some fans want him to be sent to Rochester if he’s not going to play or get enough ice time in Buffalo, but now he’ll have the opportunity to help the Americans in the Calder Cup playoffs. Even though his mind is set on finishing the season strong with the Sabres, getting a chance to play in playoff games and get a taste of that rush is all part of helping him grow.
“They’re a great team, and they’re doing really well right now,” Thompson said. “I played with a lot of those guys at the beginning of the season in main camp and the rookie showcase, so I know a lot of the guys there from being here in the summer a little bit and training and skating with them. It won’t be like I’m going into an unfamiliar environment there. … I’ll hopefully be able to help them continue the success down there.”

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Why didnt they send Dahlin down on paper so he could get some playoff experience? I feel like he would just dummy AHL players, yet hed be one of the youngest players in the league. At least get him a taste of some winning culture.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Why didnt they send Dahlin down on paper so he could get some playoff experience? I feel like he would just dummy AHL players, yet hed be one of the youngest players in the league. At least get him a taste of some winning culture.
You can only send so many guys down at the deadline, even as paper transactions. To start with you can't loan yourself below 18 skaters on the active roster. You also only have 4 post-deadline regular recalls, which means if you loan 4 guys on paper transactions to make them AHL eligible post-deadline, you won't have any more recalls left. So if you want to maintain flexibility down the stretch, and give different guys a look, you can't burn all your recalls right off the bat.

Most importantly, though, there is absolutely no good reason for Dahlin to ever play in the AHL. He doesn't need it. He'll be better served by either taking some time off (due to the NHL season being longer than the season in Sweden) or playing in the World Championships.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
First day here seems to indicate he's getting adjusted nicely and handling the assignment nicely, he's also friends with Fitzgerald apparently which is nice.

He's expected to play on the top line with CJ Smith and Porter.

Reactions: Fearnot

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas

I believe Dahlin is scheduled to play in a world class tournament soon, which probably will be better competition and a great way to work on his development.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

Simply put, after next Saturday, I dont want him touching ice until a week or 2 before developmental camp. Kid needs some rest

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Dahlin is an 18 y/o who has played a big role as a defensemen for a full 82 game season. He doesn't need to be in the AHL playoffs. He needs to take advantage of a long off-season to bulk up.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tage frickin Thompson. Another one of Doug Armstrong's and the Blues management team 's obsession with tall players. Sort of like a college wrestling coach only liking wrestlers with thick thighs. A tip for any would be GM's. Tall players are often just like fat players. They use the minimum amount of energy to move their big bodies. They get away with it but not at the NHL level. Don't understand what I mean. Just observe a fat person playing tennis. All arms and no legs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice debut for the Amerks - 2-1-3, GWG on a redirect while in front, ENG late. Hope Taylor can continue to work with the kid that this first game starts to restore his shattered confidence.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Gotta think that's huge for the kid's confidence. Glad to see him coming out firing on all cylinders from the get-go.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gotta think that's huge for the kid's confidence. Glad to see him coming out firing on all cylinders from the get-go.

Especially after some of the hiccups earlier in the game - the flub, the stick exploding on him, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad