Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears, & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Done deal according to Amur's Instagram.

If the laws in Russia are the same, Masin can give two-weeks notice and just bounce, so coming back for December isn't out of the question. It'd be a long season, but it'd be possible.

translation:
Amur Hockey Club has reached a contract agreement with The Tampa Bay Lightning quarterback Dominic Machin.The size and mobile Czech (height-188 cm, weight -90 kg) played 64 matches for the youth team of his country.In 2014, Machin was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning...

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I don't think this changes much in terms of NCAA vs CHL.

Guys who go the CHL route with a ton of talent will have likely cracked one of their rosters at 16 or 17, making them ineligible for the NCAA.

Players already on the college track would be in the USHL/NAHL or Canadian Jr. A.

The class of player left, junior league players who were on a CHL/USports track, but haven't succeeded in getting a shot, this could be appealing. They'd likely top out as minor leaguers however.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Not surprising. He never got his offense going, and he made too many mistakes to be an effective defensive d-man.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
New batch of UFAs. Ryan Zuhlsdorf did not sign a deal.

Nick Pastujov is from Bradenton. I see on DraftSite that his report says he's a lunch pail, two-way player, who finishes checks, which is on-brand for me. 9 goals for the Michigan Wolverines this season too.

24-year-old Chris Wilkie had 23 goals in his senior season for Colorado College. They play on the boring Olympic rink as well. AHL deal?

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Bring them both in for a look-see.

Not shocked about Ryan Zuhlsdorf honestly. Just like Masin and Sosunov. Was sorta hoping for maybe an ATO (RZ) just for depth in the SYR/OSB pipeline though. But what does give me a little bit of pause (just a little) is, that's 3 D corps prospects (albeit longshots) now out of the "depth" pool. Add in Conacher and that's 4 total. IF (BIG IF), there's no NCAA D1 hockey this coming year, could it be that a majority of the "College Kids" (Sammy Walker, Cole Koepke, Nick Perbix, Max Crozier, Cole Guttman, Magnus Chrona, and Alex Green) come onboard? Selfishly, I hope so. But I get commitment and I get a fall-back option (Degrees) but with the Cap the next 2-3 seasons, this may be their window of opportunity for ELC's.

That's 3 forwards, 3 defenseman, and a netminder (Hugo's still the heir apparent #2 imo) that could start getting into the mix sooner. Just thinking out loud. That, and maybe a little lack of faith in Al Murray's drafting defensemen.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm looking at the other UFAs. Carson Meyer caught my attention with strong stats and having been drafted by CBJ. Very much a product of the state of Ohio.

Uh...there's been a few articles written about him that sort of make finding reports difficult.
NHL Prospect 'Absolutely Freaking Out' After 25-Inch Tapeworm Comes Out of His Body

Meyer tries to model his game after Artemi Panarin and Claude Giroux.

Cam Morrison grabs my attention as Notre Dame is one of the easier NCAA teams to watch play on tv. Power forward with size who scores clutch goals. Dobber Hockey seems to think an AHL deal is possible, but TB needs power forwards in their system, and he was a 2nd round pick, so he'd be like a free player.

edit: getting some details on Morrison, he kind of sounds like a Patrick Maroon.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bring them both in for a look-see.

Not shocked about Ryan Zuhlsdorf honestly. Just like Masin and Sosunov. Was sorta hoping for maybe an ATO (RZ) just for depth in the SYR/OSB pipeline though. But what does give me a little bit of pause (just a little) is, that's 3 D corps prospects (albeit longshots) now out of the "depth" pool. Add in Conacher and that's 4 total. IF (BIG IF), there's no NCAA D1 hockey this coming year, could it be that a majority of the "College Kids" (Sammy Walker, Cole Koepke, Nick Perbix, Max Crozier, Cole Guttman, Magnus Chrona, and Alex Green) come onboard? Selfishly, I hope so. But I get commitment and I get a fall-back option (Degrees) but with the Cap the next 2-3 seasons, this may be their window of opportunity for ELC's.

That's 3 forwards, 3 defenseman, and a netminder (Hugo's still the heir apparent #2 imo) that could start getting into the mix sooner. Just thinking out loud. That, and maybe a little lack of faith in Al Murray's drafting defensemen.
If an NHL team is offering a contract, it seems to pay off better to leave school early. You lose NCAA eligibility, but not the ability to get a degree.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Pavlychev seems to tick all the boxes for guys TB has put value into recently. Size, defensive ability, & physicality. Hard to move a guy that size from the front of the net.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Pavlychev seems to tick all the boxes for guys TB has put value into recently. Size, defensive ability, & physicality. Hard to move a guy that size from the front of the net.
Also a Russian player who is a former 7th round pick. We like those too. ;)

Maybe he can become a player like Brian Boyle.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Also a Russian player who is a former 7th round pick. We like those too. ;)

Maybe he can become a player like Brian Boyle.
That's a very compelling style comparison, although the odds of him making the NHL are slim. He was a 7th round pick that went unsigned. Those point totals at Penn State are more like what you'd see for a depth AHL or ECHL guy.

At least we know he's good defensively. The other baby giraffes have had issues with that.

It's only a one-year deal, so they (thankfully) aren't giving him multiple years and taking him on as a 'project player'. The org can just move on if it's not working, and he's Russian, so he's got some options back there himself. Easier than an import player anyway.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pens fan here. Pavlychev was about as raw and off the board as a prospect can be when the Penguins drafted him in the 7th round in 2015. Despite being Russian he's mostly an American product (he's been in the States for a decade now, I believe) and plays a grinding role in front of the net. As you can imagine by this being an AHL deal I wouldn't be expecting him to be anything, but there's still that chance that he can take his game one step further and be a fringe 4th line guy. His hands never quite developed and he had a pretty lousy year on a stacked Penn State squad, but he's oozing those unteachable assets that great coaching may be able to mold into something useful.

Interesting that he didn't sign in Pittsburgh because he wanted a two-way deal and then immediately signs an AHL deal elsewhere (I do not think he's worth a contract slot, but on an AHL deal he's a solid scratch-off lottery ticket), but it's hard to argue against Syracuse's history of development making sense for a player in need of so much refinement. The Pens board has been mildly obsessed with Pavlychev despite knowing he was always a long-shot. He's easy to root for. Just don't expect too much. He cost us effectively nothing and he's costing yinz even less. Keep expectations in line and he'll be a fun one to follow. Just don't go expecting Brian Boyle. He's more like Steve McKenna in front of the net than Brian Boyle....which I can only assume is the reason the Penguins decided Kevin Stevens' kid (also a physical giant with mediocre college numbers but with supposed untapped potential that appears questionable at the age of 23) got a two-way deal that was never offered to Pavlychev. I want to complain about going after the scouts' son, but that's oddly worked out nicely for the Pens before (Ryan Malone's dad was the Pens top scout when he was drafted and Kevin Stevens was the scout responsible for the Penguins going after John Marino so it's hard for me to be too mad).

I've never tracked a guy I can't imagine playing above an AHL 3rd line for so long before, but it's hard to not see something to like about his game. There's a part of me that can see him becoming a monster in the AHL. Oddly enough Penn State getting so good so fast was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Pavlychev's development. He was trending upwards with his junior year being the first time he looked like a kid deserving of ever being drafted, but seemed to take a step back in his senior year before things shut down. I think a good tournament could been the difference between the Pens offering him a two-way contract and simply offering an AHL deal like they did.

Cheers, I can't say I hope he turns out as I wished with you guys, but I'm excited to see him go to a good organization that gives him a chance to further his development. I hope he makes it some day, even if only for a game. It's been fun following his development (this also tells you how little we've had to get excited about prospect-wise :laugh:) and you have to respect the guy doing what he thinks is best for his career (be it moving to the States as a damn child (I think he was 12) in order to play college hockey years down the line or signing the same contract with a different organization because they offer a slightly better chance at developing the weaker points of his game. He's a longshot, but he's put enough work in to be a reverse Rudy. The guy too big you can't help but root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad