WJC: Switzerland at the 2011 WJC

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
Switzerland World Junior Championship Preview

Switzerland is starting to make itself a name in Junior Hockey. Their successful World Championship Tournaments last season on both the U20 and U18 level earned Switzerland respect for their Hockey development program. Swiss Ice Hockey has started a partnership on both U17 and U16 level with the USA and for the first time has been invited to the Hockey Canada Junior A Challenge, where they finished 3rd in their 1st appearance at that tournament sending the U20 Team to that tournament.

Team Switzerland has 10 returning Players from last seasons Tournament where the Swiss finished with a sensational 4th place. In this years group constellation the Swiss again should have the chance to advance to the quarterfinals. Like last year, the crucial game will be against Slovakia with the defending champion USA totally and Finland probably out of reach (although, it seems that the gap is closing on the Fins on junior level). But to only look forward would be wrong, there’s still a big chance that the Swiss will have to go to the relegation round if they lose to Finland and the Slovaks. That makes the 1st Game against Germany already one with a lot of pressure. The Game against the arch rivals and country neighbour is a «must-win» Game, both to gain confidence for the rest of the tournament and not starting with 0 points in an eventual relegation round.

The Coaching Staff around Head Coach Richard Jost, who will attempt in his 1st U20 World Junior Championship after relieving Jakob Kolliker after 10 seasons of good work with the U20 Team, are planning on nominating a Roster of 2 Goaltenders, 7 Defenders and 13 Forwards.

Goaltending

Benjamin Conz, who captured the tournament‘s best Goaltender award last season and was named to the All Star-Team, is one of the most important pieces in this years roster. Conz is looking even stronger than last year in the National League A where he’s playing for the Langnau Tigers. Although it will be interesting to see if he’s mentally ready, since he started so far all of the Tigers 34 NLA-Games and made his international senior debut. He became the youngest goaltender in modern era to start an international game for Team Switzerland. Size and agility are still his biggest weakness, but he makes it up with his reflexes and strong positioning. Remo Giovannini of the HC Davos should serve as his backup in his 1st WJC appearance. Giovannini is a big goaltender with nice athleticism and leg work and has the right determination to never give up on a shot. Shouldn’t Conz be able to perform, Giovannini could be a reliable starter for Switzerland. I could see Giovannini to get at least one start in the preliminary round to get Conz some well deserved rest to be ready for the deciding phase of the tournament. 1992-born Lukas Meili will serve as the teams 3rd stringer.

Defense

The defensive squad will be lead by the 3 returning Defenders from last season – Luca Camperchioli, Ramon Untersander and Dominik Schlumpf. Romain Loeffel, Nicholas Steiner, Dario Trutmann, who is in his 1st season in the OHL with the Plymouth Whalers, Dave Sutter and 1993-born Samuel Guerra will complete the blueliners. Romain Loeffel should lead the defenders offensively. The 5’10 right shooting reguard is the perfect power play quarterback and possesses a nice and accurate point shot. Dominik Schlumpf showed in last seasons WJC that he has some untapped offensive potential. The training camp-invitee of the Edmonton Oilers stepped up, when Luca Sbisa and Roman Josi went down with injuries. He should fulfil this role from the beginning of the tournament. Dario Trutmann and Dave Sutter should give the Team a mean streak and some good body work along the boards. Samuel Guerra made the cut in Arosa and pushed Dean Kukan, another 93-born defender and probably best prospect out of Switzerland for the upcoming 2011 Draft out of the team. While Kukan is the more mobile and better puck handling defender of the two but playing in the National League B, Guerra is playing in the National League A for Davos and is getting a regular shift. He’s a very reliable defender who hasn’t yet shown his offensive potential. Guerra could be the last cut in the teams final camp held at the moment in Oshawa if the coaching staff really decides to announce their roster with 7 defenders.

Forwards

Offensively the Swiss again will be lead by Islanders 1st Round Draft Choice Nino Niederreiter. Nino will take over the captaincy and should have a little more support this year from the rest of the team. Portland Winterhawks team-mate Sven Bärtschi should contribute also offensively. The 5’10 forward with soft and nice hands is a potential 1st Round pick for the upcoming 2011 NHL Draft. A strong tournament could see his draft stock raise, but size is his biggest weakness and could avoid a big jump to the early picks. Secondary scoring should come from the two returning players from last years championship Tristan Scherwey and Joël Vermin. Scherwey’s intense playing style should also lead the Swiss in fore-checking and defensive play. Vermin sometimes shows flashes of brilliance but is very inconsistent and tends to disappear in some games. The two SC Bern-products will be supported by Gaëtan Haas who was one of the last cuts for last year’s team. Haas a two-way forward seems to sometimes be inhibited by physical play and has struggled this season with the EHC Biel-Bienne in the National League A, while having a bigger role with the team. Gregory Hofmann, Inti Pestoni and Reto Schäppi should build the 3rd line for Team Switzerland. Schäppi is another returning forward for Switzerland and also the biggest pivot on the team. While he’s still more a soft player than one who uses his size as an advantage, Schäppi is a great two-way forward and could also see shifts on the 1st line for Switzerland. Hofmann, late 92-born and 2011 draft eligible, is probably the best forward out of Switzerland for the upcoming NHL-Draft. A two-way forward with good size and playmaking-abilities, Hofmann is known for his clutch scoring. He and his line-mate Inti Pestoni are currently making big noise with their National League A club HC Ambrì-Piotta. The smallish Pestoni is one of the top-scorer for his team and has showed beautiful scoring touch for both Ambrì and the Swiss Junior Team this season. While he isn’t the best skater, nor does posses great acceleration he does have something that you can’t teach and that is the nose for the net. He’s driven by his passion and scoring will and doesn’t let his small size be a barrier for him. A similar player, but even smaller, is 93-born Lino Martschini. Other than Pestoni the 5’5 forward, who currently is playing with the OHL’s Peterborough Petes, has nice skating ability and has great speed. Martschini is a right-shooting forward and could be a Power Play weapon for Switzerland if he survives the last cut of another one or two forwards. A darkhorse for Switzerland could be Yannick Herren. Herren came out of nowhere and was one of the most sought-after young players this summer in the National League A. While he played quietly last season in the National League B for the Visp Lions, he teared up the 2nd highest junior league in Switzerland. He this year plays with the Kloten Flyers and while he has a limited role with the pro team he doesn’t seem lost in the National League A. He possesses a great scoring touch and has beautiful puck control and soft hands. Another returning forward for Switzerland is Ryan McGregor. The playmaking center is know for his good face-off abilities and should center the 1st line between Nino Niederreiter and Sven Bärtschi. He still hasn’t played in the Swiss National League either A or B, because he doesn’t want to sign a contract with the ZSC Lions organisation. This way he still can fulfil his dream of playing in the NCAA and since the fiasco which Tampa Bay draftee Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i had with the NCAA, where they refused him to play in their league because he had played in the National League B, McGregor sure doesn’t want to go that route, although he would be ready to play in either League.

It’s going to be an exciting tournament for Switzerland, but a devastating 8-0 loss to Canada in an exhibition game has shown them that either goals or even victories won’t come easy and demand hard work from everyone. They will play another exhibition Game against Sweden on the 23rd of December and open the tournament with the Game against Germany.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Disappointed, but not surprised by the decision.
Holenstein was too small for this already not big roster, even more was Martschini. But the latter guy is a PPG Player in the OHL and I had some hope he would make the roster...
This shows how good this year's offensive depth is, if we can afford cutting Martschini.
Sutter is understandable, Guerra is the more moving guy of these two candidates.

So after all, we're not as small as we thought first, but lost some skill too.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
Dave Sutter,Lino Martschini and Manuel Holenstein (Davos) didn't pass the last cut.

I only saw the exhibition Game against Canada and I have to say I understand the cut of Dave Sutter... Has such big size, but I don't remember him using it... He also seemed to be to slow against the speed and flashy Canadian-Forwards!

With Martschini I was little surprised! His speed is just great, but he wasn't able to create himself chances! But he'd be a perfect Winger for the 4th line and then in the Power Play your weapon, especially with his right handed shot!! With his cut, this leaves us with just Gaëtan Haas and Benjamin Antonietti as right hander on forwards which is in my eyes just wrong! Haas ok, but Antonietti is defintaly no guy for the PP!
Holenstein, although is playing with great passion and never gives up, he's just to small for the pivot position... They tried him between Niederreiter and Bärtschi, but it seems they didn't like what they saw!?

I expect the forward lines to look like this:

Bärtschi - McGregor - Niederreiter
Haas - Scherwey - Vermin
Hofmann - Schäppi - Pestoni
Antonietti - Walser - Engler
Extra-Forward: Herren

The defenders:
Loeffel - Steiner
Schlumpf - Camperchioli
Trutmann - Untersander
Extra-DF: Guerra

Starter: Conz
Backup: Giovannini

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I only saw the exhibition Game against Canada and I have to say I understand the cut of Dave Sutter... Has such big size, but I don't remember him using it... He also seemed to be to slow against the speed and flashy Canadian-Forwards!

With Martschini I was little surprised! His speed is just great, but he wasn't able to create himself chances! But he'd be a perfect Winger for the 4th line and then in the Power Play your weapon, especially with his right handed shot!! With his cut, this leaves us with just Gaëtan Haas and Benjamin Antonietti as right hander on forwards which is in my eyes just wrong! Haas ok, but Antonietti is defintaly no guy for the PP!
Holenstein, although is playing with great passion and never gives up, he's just to small for the pivot position... They tried him between Niederreiter and Bärtschi, but it seems they didn't like what they saw!?

I expect the forward lines to look like this:

Bärtschi - McGregor - Niederreiter
Haas - Scherwey - Vermin
Hofmann - Schäppi - Pestoni
Antonietti - Walser - Engler
Extra-Forward: Herren

The defenders:
Loeffel - Steiner
Schlumpf - Camperchioli
Trutmann - Untersander
Extra-DF: Guerra

Starter: Conz
Backup: Giovannini

Thx once again for the all your work.

It's a pity with Martschini. Putting him on 4th, as you said, would have given an other offensive dynamic wing-duo with Engler protected by walser physically and on defense. They would prbly suffer against the NA tough game-style. but could contribute beating Slovakia and Germany, which should be the main goal.

I don't mind having a defensive expert or a punishing big frame winger on team instead of a more skilled player. But I don't think Antoinetti is any of that. He is solid at best and shouldn't be on the team IMO.

Nevertheless a very nice team. Let's hope for a good start.

hopp schwiiz!

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Hopp Schwiiz!

I really expect a win tomorrow. The roster difference isn't clearly seen, but I just feel it :D

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
What is going on with this team ??

To tell you the truth, i am disapointed ... because i felt we never had such a junior team than this one !!

Yet, except the first period against Germans, nothing in the results points out to a good team !

What are your views ?? or what are your understandings ?

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
some highlights against Finland
Of course this is a 8min highlights, meaning that the passages were chosen ... interesting and by the Finns.

but ouahh !

We are out- (put the word you want)-ed in all aspects !
(like technically, speed, smart, skate ... all words are +/- correct !) :help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5MxWBNqcvA&feature=player_embedded
We are the red :D

Well belive me or not, but those were pretty much the only chanses switzerland had. They didnt have one organized attack in the first. In the second they had only 2 shots on goal!??!! ( and they had a whole 5 on 3 and an other PP).

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Well belive me or not, but those were pretty much the only chanses switzerland had. They didnt have one organized attack in the first. In the second they had only 2 shots on goal!??!! ( and they had a whole 5 on 3 and an other PP).

... these are highlights ... high lights ... the best moments ... our best opportunities !

Probably this is a very good team ... i am sure that this Finnish team is a top team this year. And we may not have found our cruising speed yet except Conz who seem to have crafted some marvels out there !

And by the way, not only do I believe you and thank you for your comments but i also notice that the few Swiss opportunities are at 4-0 ... meaning they took place when your team felt confident about their victory and went into energy saving mode !

Last edited:

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
... these are highlights ... high lights ... the best moments ... our best opportunities !

Probably this is a very good team ... i am sure that this Finnish team is a top team this year. And we may not have found our cruising speed yet except Conz who seem to have crafted some marvels out there !

And by the way, not only do I believe you and thank you for your comments but i also notice that the few Swiss opportunities are at 4-0 ... meaning they took place when your team felt confident about their victory and went into energy saving mode !

I think it's time to get away from the "balanced lines" approach and put Bärtschi and Niederreiter on on line...

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
In yesterday's game, against the Slovaks ... i felt that we played better than them ...
in fact significantly better. But our team seem to switch automatically in defensive mode when
we are leading in score ! And with the fast strikers they had ... they could reestablish
a balance on the scoring sheet.
I was seriously reassured by this game ... and still think that, according to what i saw
the finish team may end champion this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad