WJC: Switzerland at the 2011 WJC

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
Here's the List for the Evaluation Camp Team Switzerland:

Goaltenders: Benjamin Conz (SCL Tigers), Remo Giovannini (HC Davos), Lukas Meili (GCK Lions)

Defensemen: Luca Camperchioli (ZSC Lions), Samuel Erni (EV Zug), Samuel Guerra (HC Davos), Dean Kukan (ZSC Lions), Romain Loeffel (HC Fribourg Gottéron), Dominik Schlumpf (Shawinigan Cataracters/QMJHL ab 18.12.10), Nicolas Steiner (Kloten Flyers), Dave Sutter (Seattle Thunderbirds /WHL ab 18.12.10), Dario Trutmann (Plymouth Whalers/ OHL ab 18.12.10), Roman Untersander (HC Davos)

Forwards: Sven Bärtschi (Portland Winterhawks/ WHL ab 18.12.10), Alessio Bertaggia (HC Lugano), Renato Engler (HC Davos), Gaetan Haas (EHC Biel), Yannick Herren (Kloten Flyers), Gregory Hofmann (HC Ambri Piotta), Manuel Holenstein (HC Davos), Lino Martschini (Peterborough Petes/ OHL ab 18.12.10), Ryan McGregor (GCK Lions), Nino Niederreiter (Portland Winterhawks/ WHL ab 18.12.10), Inti Pestoni (HC Ambri Piotta), Joel Reymondin (HC Davos), Reto Schäppi (GCK Lions), Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern), Joel Vermin (SC Bern Future)

Staff: Jost Richard (Headcoach), Sergio Soguel (Assistent), Alex Reinhard (Assistent), Bruni Suri (Team Manager)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Team looks quite a bit weaker on defense this year with Sbisa and Josi now being overage, but the team looks pretty solid with Niederreiter and Bartschi leading the way on offense and Conz between the pipes.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I am more excited to watch the Swiss play then my own Canadians. But I will be going for Canadians more obviously lol
GO CONZ! GO SWISS!:yo:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Team looks quite a bit weaker on defense this year with Sbisa and Josi now being overage, but the team looks pretty solid with Niederreiter and Bartschi leading the way on offense and Conz between the pipes.

Oh, defense is not a problem. Maybe there is no Sbisa, but over all, they improved IMO. Goaltending should be fantastic again.
As usual for swiss teams, I'm more worried about the Offense. Underager Bärtschi is really hot at the moment, but the depth isn't on a level of their rivals Slovakia, Czech Rep. or Finland...
Nevermind, I'm looking forward to this tourney and I'm sure they can go to the 2nd round. Then, everything is possible :yo:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Oh, defense is not a problem. Maybe there is no Sbisa, but over all, they improved IMO. Goaltending should be fantastic again.
As usual for swiss teams, I'm more worried about the Offense. Underager Bärtschi is really hot at the moment, but the depth isn't on a level of their rivals Slovakia, Czech Rep. or Finland...
Nevermind, I'm looking forward to this tourney and I'm sure they can go to the 2nd round. Then, everything is possible :yo:

It will be an interesting three man race between Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland for that 3rd place in the group and I personally won´t even dare to predict how it will fare out. What also could mix up things is that either of these teams is pretty capable of upsets and could steal points from Finland or Germany.

As for the rosters- I think Switzerland has the best goalie, followed by Germany, while goaltending is the weakest spot for Slovakia. As for deffense both Germany and Switzerland always have the better overall deffensive team play than Slovakia, but I think this year Slovakia has the biggest name on D with Martin Marinčin (and also 2-3 more guy that look unusually solid for Slovakia in Jánošík, HraÅ¡ko and ČereÅ¡ňák, the question is whether they can bring their top game on the ice for the NT and that´s what I´m not 100% convinced about), while the Swiss have no Josi or Sbisa and the Germans don´t have a big deffensive "star" either. As you already mentioned Switzerland lacks the depth on offense and will need both Niederreiter and Bärtschi to perform (although I don´t know that much about the NLA guys), I think this might be also a concern with Germany and Kuhnhackl and Rieder although I think Germany has slightly more depth on offense than the Swiss this year, but many of these players are very young. I also think that this might be where Slovakia might have an edge because besides Pánik and Jurčo we have another two 91 born players who are ranked No.15 and No.17 in the QMJHL and WHL scoring respectivelly in Marek Hrivík and Andrej Kudrna.
Overall I have no idea how this will develop, but it will be exciting for sure.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It will be an interesting three man race between Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland for that 3rd place in the group and I personally won´t even dare to predict how it will fare out. What also could mix up things is that either of these teams is pretty capable of upsets and could steal points from Finland or Germany.

As for the rosters- I think Switzerland has the best goalie, followed by Germany, while goaltending is the weakest spot for Slovakia. As for deffense both Germany and Switzerland always have the better overall deffensive team play than Slovakia, but I think this year Slovakia has the biggest name on D with Martin Marinčin (and also 2-3 more guy that look unusually solid for Slovakia in JánošÃ­k, Hraško and Čerešňák, the question is whether they can bring their top game on the ice for the NT and that´s what I´m not 100% convinced about), while the Swiss have no Josi or Sbisa and the Germans don´t have a big deffensive "star" either. As you already mentioned Switzerland lacks the depth on offense and will need both Niederreiter and Bärtschi to perform (although I don´t know that much about the NLA guys), I think this might be also a concern with Germany and Kuhnhackl and Rieder although I think Germany has slightly more depth on offense than the Swiss this year, but many of these players are very young. I also think that this might be where Slovakia might have an edge because besides Pánik and Jurčo we have another two 91 born players who are ranked No.15 and No.17 in the QMJHL and WHL scoring respectivelly in Marek Hrivík and Andrej Kudrna.
Overall I have no idea how this will develop, but it will be exciting for sure.

The way that I see it:

Offense:
1. Slovakia
2. Germany
3. Switzerland

Defense:
1. Slovakia
2. Switzerland
3. Germany

Goaltending:
1. Switzerland
2. Germany
3. Slovakia

I definately don't think that the Swiss defense has improved this year losing Sbisa and Josi, but they are still ahead of the German's who really only have Abeltshauser back there. Slovakia has Marincin who is probably one of the best D in the tournament. The Slovak's have the best depth in offense, followed by Germany, but Switzerland has Niederreiter who could single handedly win the Swiss some games. Goaltending is definately the weakest point of Slovakia and Grubauer and Conz are far better than anything the Slovak's have between the pipes

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The way that I see it:

Offense:
1. Slovakia
2. Germany
3. Switzerland

Defense:
1. Slovakia
2. Switzerland
3. Germany

Goaltending:
1. Switzerland
2. Germany
3. Slovakia

I definately don't think that the Swiss defense has improved this year losing Sbisa and Josi, but they are still ahead of the German's who really only have Abeltshauser back there. Slovakia has Marincin who is probably one of the best D in the tournament. The Slovak's have the best depth in offense, followed by Germany, but Switzerland has Niederreiter who could single handedly win the Swiss some games. Goaltending is definately the weakest point of Slovakia and Grubauer and Conz are far better than anything the Slovak's have between the pipes

I pretty much agree with this assesment.
However about deffense- Slovakia might have the best individual deffense however both the Germans and the Swiss can play a deffensive system, which is something that I´m not sure that the Slovak players are capable of consistently.
Regarding Niederreiter I think the question is whether he can single handedly (alongside Conz of course) win it for Swiss two years in a row?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I'm really interesting to watch at wjc Pestoni and Hofmann both good scorer, now the best in nla.

Here u20 season's stats. I hope it works. (T= Score, TSp= score/game PSp=point/game).
Yeah, I think they're a little underrated, especially these two could suprise at the WJC!
Here's the stats for u20 guys at the second highest swiss league.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

I agree about goaltending.

IMO they have no defender on the level of Josi, sbisa and probably even Geering this year. Maybe Kukan, but he's a double underager.
Overall they are solid. But not much more.

The Attack is very strong compared to other years, like the previous.
The 90ers were a very average group (beside Jorg and the then-injured Berger). The 92-generation, one of the strongest groups ever for switzerland in top-end talent as well as in depth, is a year older. Combined with a few solid 91ers. And maybe even 1 or 2 smallish but very talented 93ers. when you have seen Bertaggia on NLA-Level... his hands and hustle are very good. (you remember he had his famous few days this preseason when he turned heads in portland as the "phantom" Nr.23?).

While I expect them to play a typical modern-swiss strong teamplay. They will have to rely more on there offensiv skills then in other years.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
I like the addition of Lino Martschini. Seen him play a couple games this year for the Petes and he can fly. Great speed. Two strides and hes gone. Little surprised that Alain Berger of the Generals didn't get an invite. Berger, Niederreiter and Martschini would be a dirty line. Berger played for Switzerland last year but got injured early in the tournament and didn't play a single game after that. Its unfortunate that he didn't get an invite this year. I think they'd be a lot stronger offensively if Berger was on the team.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I like the addition of Lino Martschini. Seen him play a couple games this year for the Petes and he can fly. Great speed. Two strides and hes gone. Little surprised that Alain Berger of the Generals didn't get an invite. Berger, Niederreiter and Martschini would be a dirty line. Berger played for Switzerland last year but got injured early in the tournament and didn't play a single game after that. Its unfortunate that he didn't get an invite this year. I think they'd be a lot stronger offensively if Berger was on the team.

As I've mentioned above Berger is born 1990, thus too old.

about Martschini, they will probably cut only 2 forwards... so there is a good chance that he'll stay.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
As I've mentioned above Berger is born 1990, thus too old.

about Martschini, they will probably cut only 2 forwards... so there is a good chance that he'll stay.
Ah, I see. I figured he was too old because theres no way they'd let him slip past. I hope Martschini makes the team. It'd be a great experience for Lino. I think a lot of countries are going to take Switzerland lightly and it could come back to bit them in the ass. Most countries are going to think they've got the easy win when its time to play Switzerland and that might not be the case.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
someone knows the forwards' position (L, R, C)?

some I do know

C: Hofmann, Schäppi, McGregor, Haas

LW:Nino, Bärtschi

RW: Vermin, Martschini

W: don't know which side: Engler, Pestoni, Scherwey

I think Holenstein played both C and W, same with Bertaggia, but when we see him at WJC I'm pretty sure it will be on the wing. Not sure about the others...

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I think a lot of countries are going to take Switzerland lightly and it could come back to bit them in the ass. Most countries are going to think they've got the easy win when its time to play Switzerland and that might not be the case.

There's only one team that can take games off Switzerland easily on a consistent base, and embarrass them. that's only Sweden:
all the others had one or two tough experiences against them recently... so I'm not sure about that.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
some I do know

C: Hofmann, Schäppi, McGregor, Haas

LW:Nino, Bärtschi

RW: Vermin, Martschini

W: don't know which side: Engler, Pestoni, Scherwey

I think Holenstein played both C and W, same with Bertaggia, but when we see him at WJC I'm pretty sure it will be on the wing. Not sure about the others...

ok and now: lines predictions?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
ok and now: lines predictions?

well, now it's getting harder...

they still have to cut 2-(3 )forwards.

presuming that following players are locks:

91: Schäppi, McGregor, Pestoni, Scherwey

92: Nino, Bärtschi, Vermin, Hofmann, Haas

that leaves us with Engler, Holenstein, Reymondin, Martschini and Bertaggia, Herren to choose 4 out of 6. it's really an open race.

Bertaggia and Martschini are definitely the most talented ones, but they are diminutive and double underagers...

I hope sth like that:

Nino - Haas - Martschini
Bärtschi - Hofman - Pestoni
Bertaggia - Schäppi - Vermin
Scherwey - McGregor - Reymondin
Holenstein

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Why the ******* they did not choose Andrighetto S and Mottet K? The 2 leading goal scorer of the NLB?

Instead of choosing bums such as Untersander R?

Make ur choice wisely and even try to win the next WJC!

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Why the ******* they did not choose Andrighetto S and Mottet K? The 2 leading goal scorer of the NLB?

Instead of choosing bums such as Untersander R?

Make ur choice wisely and even try to win the next WJC!

isn't it a good sign, when they can afford to skip players of such quality?- I mean, normally they got about 5-6 forwards to rely on, the rest are just fill-ins...

I haven't seen a lot of them, so it's more of a guess

Andrighetto:
3rd member of the "tiny" big 3 forwards of the 93 generation, very skilled, highscoring on every level he competed recently, plays convincingly with Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in NLB, and played very strong with Martschini in the 1st international U-18 tournament of the season.

It's extremely unlikely (even for a country with a smaller talent pool like switzerland) to have 3 (+Defense =5!) double underagers in a WJC.

While Martschini and Bertaggia already got the reputation as playing with heart, IIRC, Andrighetto was skipped once last year for an international tournament because of on ice discipline or effort issues. But I don't think, he was too far off of being nominated.

Mottet:
It happens once in a while all over the world:
You got a highscoring machine on national U-20 level, outscoring pretty much everyone of his generation over several years, that got no love from the international coaches for whatever reason. being on a good scoring pace on the next level (here NLB)... still no love from the coaches, missing all the big events.
that just happens to Mottet.

Normally in that case this very player is either too weak or too slow or got discipline or effort issues, mostly a combination of any of them.

Don't know what applies to Mottet of the above

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
well, now it's getting harder...

they still have to cut 2-(3 )forwards.

presuming that following players are locks:

91: Schäppi, McGregor, Pestoni, Scherwey

92: Nino, Bärtschi, Vermin, Hofmann, Haas

that leaves us with Engler, Holenstein, Reymondin, Martschini and Bertaggia, Herren to choose 4 out of 6. it's really an open race.

Bertaggia and Martschini are definitely the most talented ones, but they are diminutive and double underagers...

I hope sth like that:

Nino - Haas - Martschini
Bärtschi - Hofman - Pestoni
Bertaggia - Schäppi - Vermin
Scherwey - McGregor - Reymondin
Holenstein

En tout cas it seems the best offensive pack in the last 4, maybe more years.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
How does this Team compare talent wise to previous Swiss WJ teams? Are we beginning to see Swiss youth have a better technical level than before?

Disregarding Bartschi who looks to be a potential 1st round pick, what other 2011 draft eligible players should we be looking for here? Any players likely to be taken in the draft?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
We shouldn't forget that Sbisa and Josi missed most of the tournament last year.

The offence is much, much better than last year and I also see a very solid defence. Loeffel is playing great for Fribourg lately, Schlumpf isn't that bad and also the others are very solid. And of course, Conz looks even stronger than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad